Sign in to follow this  
archon007

Is Warhammer still supported?

Never heard of FFG until their new Star Wars game. But Warhammer looks fun and interesting but I'm not sue if it's still being supported and new products being made?

The Core set is out of stock everywhere it seems. Thoughts?

Thanks

Well some people believe they will not make new products for it.

The only official thing we know is that it has almost been a year since something new came out and that the core set, adventure toolkit and the gm guide are being reprinted.

But new products are very unlikely, that doesn't mean the game isn't worth getting! I like it a lot and others do too.

If you are from us, i think the best place to find stuff is from ffg it self, otherwise i suggest amazon.

If you want to try the game, i would suggest getting a pack of dice and try out the free scenario, a day late a shilling short.

Well the main designer is focusing on star wars and another project on kickstarter, so it won't be comming from him. Tbh, the fact that they are doing a reprint, seems stupid if they would release a 4th edition right after it. But that is just imho. But yea it is scary to invest in this expansive game and the unknown status of it. But i took the plunge and i almost have everything now. I also know there is quite a bit of support of some very overzaelous people here. These guys have already made 2 books and are working on a third. I think they also made like 6 books for the second edition :o.

So I'm confused about all the options. Looking at the website product line I see there is a Player Vault, GM Vault, Creature Vault are those the same as what used to come in the Core Set? Or are those completely different?

Are there more than 4 races now?

What do I need to buy if I did want to start with this system? I normally have a GM (me) and 5-6 players

Thanks

Edited by archon007

5 to 6 ? :o i can barely get 2 people together :(

Anyway, there are a few things that are inside the core set that you can get seperate:

Player guide, game master guide and the 2 corresponding vaults.

( i am not sure if you can get the tome of blessings and tome of mysteries seperate? So if someone can fill that in, please? )

As a gm i would get the creature guide and creature vault too

Few notes:

In the player vault there is a limited supply of cards, and since you have so many people in your group you might need to buy it multiple times or just photocopy the cards.

Also each player gets a few basic cards, but this character sheet has them printed on: http://www.gitzmansgallery.com/docs/Gitzmans%20WFRP3%20Character%20Sheet.pdf

Btw this character sheet owns.

Also http://www.gitzmansgallery.com/wfrp-resources.html check the rest of this stuff, there might be some very helpfull tools.

And you needs lots of dice, i am not sure if the player vault has dice? But i think it does ( just check this to be sure )

In the base game there are 4 races, in the call of hero expansion you get 2 more, ogre and half ling. And in the same expansion you get a bunch of variations as well for all the regular races.

The bare minimum is the player guide, the gm guide, the gm vault and dice ( you can also use an app but that is just lame imo )

I just have the core set that is why i am not sure what is inside the player vault and gm vault.

I think the player vault contains all the player cards, careers etc but this information is also found in the player guide. So the vault is just there if you want to have cards instead of flipping through the book and photocopying the stuff.

The gm vault contains wound cards, miscast cards.etc which just seem mandatory to have.

Edited by Banemus

Its easier to tell you what not to get:

Once you get the core boxed set...

Do not get:  

GM's guide,

GM's toolkit,

any scenarios until you're ready to run them,

player's vault (redundant to core set, doesn't contain adventurer's toolkit)

Creature guide or Vault unless you're going to be making your own scenarios.  If you're running the enmy within, you will not need these.

I would start with the Players Guide PDF and/or hardcover so your players have a way to create and work on characters at home.

Run a scenario.  If they like the game, then buy some more stuff and let them swap out characters.

Personally, I get massive amounts of use out of Lure of Power and Omens of war.

Hero's call has variant human races, ogres and halflings (and otherwise just the epic stuff that you're 90% never like to use).

You'll need lots of dice.  Either sticker your own or buy some or use the online dice rollers for this game.

jh

Edited by Emirikol

Its easier to tell you what not to get:

Once you get the core boxed set...

Do not get:  

GM's guide,

GM's toolkit,

any scenarios until you're ready to run them,

player's vault (redundant to core set, doesn't contain adventurer's toolkit)

Creature guide or Vault unless you're going to be making your own scenarios.  If you're running the enmy within, you will not need these.

I would start with the Players Guide PDF and/or hardcover so your players have a way to create and work on characters at home.

Run a scenario.  If they like the game, then buy some more stuff and let them swap out characters.

Personally, I get massive amounts of use out of Lure of Power and Omens of war.

Hero's call has variant human races, ogres and halflings (and otherwise just the epic stuff that you're 90% never like to use).

You'll need lots of dice.  Either sticker your own or buy some or use the online dice rollers for this game.

jh

Why lure of power and omens of wars?

Why lure of power and omens of war?

They give you the best $$$ for player stuff.  Winds of Magic and Signs of faith only matter if you have a wizard or priest.  OOW and LOP work for ALL characters.  WOM and SOF are worthless to 98% of the other classes.

The rules for corruption/mutation are in the back of witch's song and/or the GM's guide and Disease is in the GMs guide.

I'll admit that corruption/mutation/disease are the least used things in my games..and if somebody wants to play a gold wizard, have THEM spend the money on it.

Unless you're a completist (in which case you'll get everything), the Players guide has EVERYTHING you need for Winds of Magic/Signs of Faith for the players as well :)

Just my opinion though.  I like all the extra action cards and careers that were released in OoW and LoP.

jh

I bought the entire suite and have found value in everything except for the player's vault.

Do you have the Core set then? Looking at the descriptions I would think the Players Vault is a "Must have". The Core set is currently unavailable everywhere unless you want to pay through the nose on EBAY, which I don't

I disagree somewhat with Emirikol.

It's true that the action cards provided with Winds and Signs are all spells and blessings respectively.  But the action cards in Omens are just as hyper-specialized.  Sure, there's not a rule preventing your halfling chef from taking Zweihander cards in the way that he's prevented from taking bright order spells, but they're still just as alien to a huge chunk of characters.  Lure of Power is the only one of the four with cards that are broadly useful--as it really expand social actions for all character types.

In the mean time, Winds and Signs still have careers and talents that aren't specific to wizards and priests.  If you don't have a wizard or priest in the party, you still probably have an academic character and a healer, and Winds and Signs really flesh out the career options for those character types.

In the mean time, Winds and Signs win hands down on added rules.  If you have the GM's guide, you can use the corruption and disease rules there.  But if you bought the core box, having corruption and disease are invaluable.

The Core set is the "must have". It's the basic starter set for the game. The players vault is part of the (personal opinion) awkward re-release of of the game split up into guides and vaults. Generally I would say to stay away from the guides and mostly the vaults (although the vault with all the monster cards is a decent investment). The guides can be handy as pdfs or for players who want their own rulebook to take home, but the Core set+Adventurers Toolkit is the basic game, with the 4 big expansions filling out the missing parts.

On the choice of the 4 big expansions: Omens Of War, Lure of Power, Signs Of Faith and Winds Of Magic. It's really down to what is a priority for your adventure and players. Personally i wanted rules and cards for mutations and diseases and then some rules and cards for dismemberment. While other groups might prioritize social rules, wizard rules, priest rules or warrior rules. Although it wasn't really a choice for me, I wanted it all :P

The Core set is the "must have". It's the basic starter set for the game. The players vault is part of the (personal opinion) awkward re-release of of the game split up into guides and vaults. Generally I would say to stay away from the guides and mostly the vaults (although the vault with all the monster cards is a decent investment). The guides can be handy as pdfs or for players who want their own rulebook to take home, but the Core set+Adventurers Toolkit is the basic game, with the 4 big expansions filling out the missing parts.

On the choice of the 4 big expansions: Omens Of War, Lure of Power, Signs Of Faith and Winds Of Magic. It's really down to what is a priority for your adventure and players. Personally i wanted rules and cards for mutations and diseases and then some rules and cards for dismemberment. While other groups might prioritize social rules, wizard rules, priest rules or warrior rules. Although it wasn't really a choice for me, I wanted it all :P

This is what is so confusing for someone new trying to get into this game. The Core set is a must have, but you can't buy it. The Players, Creature, and GM vaults look like separate products of the Core set, so buying all 3 of them gives me basically the Core set?

The vaults, by themselves, won't do it.  The vaults contain the components (cards and tokens) that were originally released in the core set, but they don't have the rules.  For those, you'll also need to buy the player's guide, the GM's guide, and the Monster Guide.

Technically, the guides are all you need to play.  Information from the cards is re-printed on tables in the respective guides.  But it's a lousy way to play.

So in order to replace the core set, you'll need:

The Player's  Guide

The Player's Vault*

The GM's Guide

The GM's Vault*

The Creature Guide

The Creature Vault*

*Technically optional, but extremely impractical to go without

Honestly, I'd try to find the game used for a decent price, or just wait for a re-print.

well 

This is what is so confusing for someone new trying to get into this game. The Core set is a must have, but you can't buy it. The Players, Creature, and GM vaults look like separate products of the Core set, so buying all 3 of them gives me basically the Core set?

something like that yea :) 

And it will be more expensive but the player guide and gm guide has all of the cards information and has better explained rules/examples.

you can also import the core box because in my country they are still easy to find, ( I even found an adventure toolkit for 30$ ) 

Or wait for the reprint but this can still take a few months. If i were you, i would try the demo scenario first before taking any sort of plunge :)

The vaults, by themselves, won't do it.  The vaults contain the components (cards and tokens) that were originally released in the core set, but they don't have the rules.  For those, you'll also need to buy the player's guide, the GM's guide, and the Monster Guide.

Technically, the guides are all you need to play.  Information from the cards is re-printed on tables in the respective guides.  But it's a lousy way to play.

So in order to replace the core set, you'll need:

The Player's  Guide

The Player's Vault*

The GM's Guide

The GM's Vault*

The Creature Guide

The Creature Vault*

*Technically optional, but extremely impractical to go without

Honestly, I'd try to find the game used for a decent price, or just wait for a re-print.

I would say the perhaps best option here would be to buy the guides in PDF form and only get the physical vaults. Seriously, as long as you have a tablet or similar you can bring to the game, it works just as well to just have them as pdfs. Most rulebooks are never pulled out during play once you have a handle on the basic mechanics. The rules you need to constantly check during play is mostly printed on the cards.

The Creature Vault can be held off on if you want to cut your costs as it is just a handy add-on to have all the monsters on separate cards instead of looking them up in a book. But it isn't that often you will need such a wide array of different monsters that it really becomes a hassle to use the book.

Edited by Ralzar

I bought the entire suite and have found value in everything except for the player's vault.

Do you have the Core set then? Looking at the descriptions I would think the Players Vault is a "Must have". The Core set is currently unavailable everywhere unless you want to pay through the nose on EBAY, which I don't

I do have the Core set. I believe the only reason to purchase the Players Vault is if you bought the hardcover Players Guide and do not have the Core Box.

Support from:

A - FFG - no, does nt look like any thing that I would call support. From more then a year no new box expansion or announcement. It looks like FFG is focused on SW RPG ines becouse it makes profit. What's more SW:EotE is nomeeniated to many awards like in many Golden Geek - so it looks like it is a perfect hit with that game.

B - fans - yes, fans strill like this game and are trying to support it in many ways as much as they can. Look at Liber Fanatica, Gizman maps or Book of Asur. Fans are the only thing that keeps this game from a dead end.

Does anyone have the template to make actioncards? Would be nice if the fans would be able to create there own action cards :) with the exact same template and a company that can print the same sizes as the cards.

Does anyone have the template to make actioncards? Would be nice if the fans would be able to create there own action cards :) with the exact same template and a company that can print the same sizes as the cards.

Look in the House Rules sub-forum. There's a thread about it near the top.

Cheers

Edited by Croaker13