Sign in to follow this  
DarkForce2

Adventure Names?

So, while working on a new Campaign, I was asking myself

Do the other GMs here tell the players the name of the adventures? I had some great times using the names from the Rogue Trader Adventures in dialogues, one example being "You have managed to pass through the Eye of the Needle, and are now treading on the Heathen Trail" or "After following the Heathen Trail and piercing together the star map of the Eldar, you can now proceed to your next destination... the world beyond."

Are doing stuff like that? Just curious.

Edited by darkforce

I come up with names for the missions within my campaign, but I don't tell the players what they are until after the mission is complete. Here is my (badly out-of-date) campaign journal, which shows how I break down the 'chapters':

http://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/40365-campaign-journal-the-vermilion-codex/

Yup, I do; I even go as far as to give a sub-title to each individual session

http://dark-heresy.wikispaces.com/Dark-Heresy+Redux

The main title is usually for the main theme of the mission, the sub-title is was that perticular session will be about (generally; I'm still bound to the player's decisions and the speed of the game; so sometimes we don't even do what I planned on doing, or skipped it in a few seconds)

Edited by Braddoc

Well, I came up with a nice Meta-Game: Name-Guessing.

Basically you make up a name for the Mission and after it, the players can guess it. However, to make that actually possible, one of the NPCs of basically... any importance in the mission mentions it: That might be the Inquisitor, or simply the ramblings of the mad prophet they meet. If they guess correctly, nice, they get some XP, if not, well, no harm done and everyone gets a good laugh.

The main title is usually for the main theme of the mission, the sub-title is was that perticular session will be about (generally; I'm still bound to the player's decisions and the speed of the game; so sometimes we don't even do what I planned on doing, or skipped it in a few seconds)

But doesn't this foreshadow too much? I'm curious as to which titles and subtitles you use. Perhaps I choose mine badly, but with my titles, sometimes the plot is reveales way too soon... Could you give some examples?

But doesn't this foreshadow too much? I'm curious as to which titles and subtitles you use. Perhaps I choose mine badly, but with my titles, sometimes the plot is reveales way too soon... Could you give some examples?

Well, 6-9 Galleria for example, the first mission; the acolytes wake up in a worker's hab, with one of them having a keycard with 6-9 Galleria on it; it doens't say what's there, but it must mean that whoever got'em there  wants them to get there.

The sub-titles on that mission are to described where they currently are and/or what they are doing.

Actually all sub-titles are mostly there to give a general idea of what/where/when/who/how rather than giving out plot detail. short of a few exceptions (like 'A dangerous voyage"- now that's bound to say that the warp voyage might have some "dangerous" event happening)

Sometimes the main title does give out something related to the main plot of the missions (Blood Dealings or The Hive Knight) but it is less obvious at first and only when some even happens than the title gets it's significance in the open (The assassin PC meeting her former master who turned into a rogue Rogue Trader's servant in Blood Dealings, and a mysterious masked vigilante -a novel concept, for me at least, in the repressive 40k 'verse- terrorising the Hive Sibelus underworld and got in the way of an stakeout ops following the Blood Dealings mission in The Hive Knight)

and thanks Cogniczar-it,s a good way to keep a history of what happened- my first campaing was too much relying on my memory and didn't last that long..

Edited by Braddoc

I often use kind of daft parodys of movies for my Campaign and adventure names. 

Last Campaign was 'Exterminatus After Reading'

Broken down into

'Fear and Loathing in Kri-Kren'

'The Sicarius Connection'

'Pride and Destroy with Extreme Prejudice'

'No Galaxy for Old Inquisitors'

That said in my Deathwatch campaign I actually produced a trailer for the end of a session hinting at what would happen in the next session!

Edited by Visitor Q

I like having a title for my scenarios and the campaigns, kind of a reminder of what the gist of it is supposed to be. If I call an episode "Absolution", when unsure how to proceed I look at the title and know that the themes of guilt and redemption is what I want, so I if in doubt, the bad guy might rather choose turning himself in over trying to escape with dozens of casualties.

I don't tell my players, though, there never seems to be an opportunity to do so ;)