Mndela

Creative artwork cards

I find Search Far and Wide too strong. For just 1 resource you remove easily 1 location. Isn't?

Weird, i find it somewhat weak.

First you need to spend 1 card and 1 resource. Then you need to spend a action of a character or a mount that is not going to be used (i think all mounts exhaust themselves to use their ability).

THEN you also need a something to put progress on that exact location. Most reliable and constant cards that put progress put only one (beside the OP Glormount). Most of the other cards that are not reliable or constant put 2 progress, so at medium value you can spend that to explore a 4 quest location.

But there is a lot of places that need 5-8 progress to die. So you need to use that card multiple times by spending multiple cards to put progress (and pay their cost of action/card/resources) and multiples exhaustion of characters/mounts to activate far and wide.

ALSO need to remember that card is not a event, so you need to play it on planning phase to deal with one location. Most silver bullets to kill single locations are events (so can be cast on better times), so this card is also below average there.

About that new Glorfindel.

I would like it to be another sphere beside Lore/Spirit, just to stay at the game unwritten rule of every version of the same hero is other spheres.

Another thing. That power is too reliable and constant. It changes the game a whole lot. You can simple POWEEEEER QUEST and only kill the weak enemies when necessary. All you need to do is make sure all enemies in the quest that you dont want to deal with are not above your starting value. The ones that are weak (like crows, small goblins, most of the surge enemies) you can deal, so not a problem.

I would prefer him to be leadership/tactics and you need to do something or pay something to keep that power active. Or even incresse the enemies engagement cost by +10 if you do that trigger.

Quick, small concept.

Unity - cards with this keyword may be played using resources belonging to any sphere, as long as at least one of them matches card's sphere.

kxEZKNtMQZw.jpg

oNDxGcyQASI.jpg

B6rIsaSs6vw.jpg

lx0XqztjDKg.jpg

I really like the design of these cards! I´m ok with new keywords on cards, as long there is a sizable amount of cards that use it (would be nice to see more cards that use it, like more allies and some events/enhacements). Also player keywords are easier to remember.

Unity is cool cos it makes cards that cost 3 or more resources more viable. Right now, the card must be REALLY good to be viable in that resource category. You dont even need to put some cool mechanic that need different colors. Stick unity on cards that cost 4-6 and that card instantly become more viable.

All of then (beside the first one) has average to good stats for the price compared to normal cards, so being able to more easily play then in your deck is a HUGE boost, since resource smoothing is not needed. So their cost for stats become really good all of the sudden.

The first time I read then, i thought that with 3 colors deck, you would only trigger X as 2, and i thought the cards were really good, beside the Spirit one. When i realized X is 3, holy guacamole, all of then became insane!

The leadership ally is resource smoothing on a chump/quester for free (he is even gondor to help on that).

The lore ally can kill some low point location or sum up with some other progress card (enemy on staging are more harder to deal since you need to not engage or throw him back to staging AND also do some more dmg since 3 is most of the time not enough, for that you need to more setup from your deck). This work for anyone.

The spirit one is a overclocked Galadriel's Handmaiden that cost 1 more, but can be put on 3 color deck and trade 1 def (yuuuk!) for 1 atk (better). Only work for you.

The tactic one is the weakest when X is 3. He is basically only used to deal with weak enemies that you blocked last turn but didn't finish off or strong enemies you blocked but couldn't amass enough damage to kill it so he lived with few HP.

With the implicit setup that you need to have 3 heroes of different colors, all of then do insane **** while also being reliable (can always be played with the 3 resources you get each turn) and easy to include (with 3 colors deck you can have 3 different of those above).

With all this said, my conclusion is:

Leadership need to be X-1. He is very strong, reliable, gondor and paying 0 for his utility as smooth/chump/quester is OP.

Spirit is ok. I would like him to be able to be used on other people, but that maybe too strong. I like cards that interact with other people.

Lore feel very strong. Paying 3 to get 3 progress + 2atk stick. I would keep him as is, need playtest. The thing is I would play him with my personal errata that buff other progress cards and some custom cards from the community. In that environment X-1 is feel more balanced.

Tactic i would like him to be able to dmg other people enemies, since most decks that use tactics will be good on killing stuff and this ally wants to be played. You can easily find yourself playing this guy without triggering his ability.

Edited by Edvando

First you need to spend 1 card and 1 resource. Then you need to spend a action of a character or a mount that is not going to be used (i think all mounts exhaust themselves to use their ability).

THEN you also need a something to put progress on that exact location. Most reliable and constant cards that put progress put only one (beside the OP Glormount). Most of the other cards that are not reliable or constant put 2 progress, so at medium value you can spend that to explore a 4 quest location.

But there is a lot of places that need 5-8 progress to die. So you need to use that card multiple times by spending multiple cards to put progress (and pay their cost of action/card/resources) and multiples exhaustion of characters/mounts to activate far and wide.

ALSO need to remember that card is not a event, so you need to play it on planning phase to deal with one location. Most silver bullets to kill single locations are events (so can be cast on better times), so this card is also below average there.

Successfully questing puts progress on the active location. Or does the language prohibit that somehow?

Well, if you are progressing active location with questioning, why do you need a card to deal with it? Better play ally/enchantment that improve questing.

Unless it is one of those nightmare one with 20 quest points to progress =D

I find Search Far and Wide too strong. For just 1 resource you remove easily 1 location. Isn't?

The idea is that you can omit a character from the quest phase in order to create what is essentially a second active location for that quest phase. It's a gamble as you're potentially losing some questing power (but not if mounts are in play), for greater reward (two locations hit with the progress instead of one). 

It's use with other abilities that add progress (Asfaloth etc.) would just be a bonus should you happen have the right setup to make it worthwhile.

Edited by Edheliad

OH ****!

I read that card wrong.

I didnt see it was "progress on active location". I thought it was progress on the enhanced location.

Im dumb, dont mind me.

Now the cards goes from "meeeh" to "woooow!".

I think it is a strong card now. For 1 cost it is definitely good. For 2 is very questionable.

It would need playtest. In my mind most of the cards that deal with location in the game right now are bad, so i dont mind much. I just think that card feel more like lore/spirit.

Edited by Edvando

Edvando, I'm humbled by your detailed review of each card, but as I said - I didn't goo into much thinking when I made them, I just had a pop in my head and went with the flow, finishing this stuff in like 20 minutes. I'm sure if I went elaborating and balancing, things would change, maybe even drastically. Thanks for your thoughts.

Now the cards goes from "meeeh" to "woooow!".

I think it is a strong card now. For 1 cost it is definitely good. For 2 is very questionable.

It would need playtest. In my mind most of the cards that deal with location in the game right now are bad, so i dont mind much. I just think that card feel more like lore/spirit.

It feels Leadership to me in that it's the reassignment of labour. But then I don't really get a lot of the sphere definitions any more (if I ever did). Spirit is (elf)magic and hope/faith? Lore is tricks, traps, healing and learning (via victory display)? Tactics is fighting (and feels extremely boring as the other spheres all have a good handle on that now).

Leadership should be about assembling, buffing and effectively mobilising manpower (or elf/dwarf/hobbit/horsepower as appropriate).

Lore cards that deal with locations are things like Distant Stars; swapping one out for another. Spirit tends to place progress on them directly. Tactics... grappling hooks?

Too often I look through my binder and just think 'interesting/fun card = lore or spirit'. 

Edited by Edheliad

My two cents -- I like Search Far and Wide, simple and effective.  The mechanic of placing progress in concert with the new active location is fresh.  It does feel like a Lore card, but character/mount is leadership, and I'm a big believer in not granting spheres exclusive access to anything.  Having a sphere be the best and most efficient at X adds variety to the spheres.  Having a sphere be the only option at X limits your options, especially against quests that emphasize X.  Leadership could use something besides Snowbourn Scout for location management.  Though I'd also like something like this:

Sneak Explore (leadership 1 event)

Return a character to your hand to place X progress on a location, where X is the cost of the character.

That feels leadershipy to me, and could be used for some nice shenanigans with Sneak Attack or one-turn characters.

I like the Unity cards.  I don't think the Distant Relative is overpowered for free in a tri-sphere deck, since he's not worth much and there's already precedent for an effectively free, resource-shifting chump blocker in Leadership.  Even with the Gondor trait, running a tri-sphere Gondor deck probably isn't optimal in the first place.  If you made the reward X-1 he wouldn't be worth including in a two-sphere deck at all.

Dorwinian Outwatch I'd drop the damage to the staging area, but leave the progress.  If you wanted a progress alternative, how about X-1 cards?

I like Silverlode Tracker as is.

Boar Clan Reaver has an ability that is too weak -- while Tactics excels at direct damage, damaging an enemy engaged with you is much more useful in the combat phase than in the planning phase.  I'd just broaden it to X damage to an enemy.

Edvando, I'm humbled by your detailed review of each card, but as I said - I didn't goo into much thinking when I made them, I just had a pop in my head and went with the flow, finishing this stuff in like 20 minutes. I'm sure if I went elaborating and balancing, things would change, maybe even drastically. Thanks for your thoughts.

Your 20 min design is better then most others in this threat!

And you should go about balancing and tweaking those cards. They are great and deserve a little more love =D

I like the Unity cards.  I don't think the Distant Relative is overpowered for free in a tri-sphere deck, since he's not worth much and there's already precedent for an effectively free, resource-shifting chump blocker in Leadership.  Even with the Gondor trait, running a tri-sphere Gondor deck probably isn't optimal in the first place.  If you made the reward X-1 he wouldn't be worth including in a two-sphere deck at all.

What card is that? Only cards that are free chumps that i remember are Squire of the Citadel (need gondor and only get resource back when he dies), Bill the Pony (need Sam and is unique), Citadel Custodian (need tons of gondor), Emery (need a pure spirit deck).

I think Distant Relative does a lot of work. He require 3 spheres but gives you a 1wp quester (that can be buffed with gondor/leadership mass WP buff), can chump, does resource smoothing (which works really well with his requirement) AND is free. He need some more downside.

Edited by Edvando

What card is that? Only cards that are free chumps that i remember are Squire of the Citadel (need gondor and only get resource back when he dies), Bill the Pony (need Sam and is unique), Citadel Custodian (need tons of gondor), Emery (need a pure spirit deck).

I think Distant Relative does a lot of work. He require 3 spheres but gives you a 1wp quester (that can be buffed with gondor/leadership mass WP buff), can chump, does resource smoothing (which works really well with his requirement) AND is free. He need some more downside.

I'm specifically thinking of Squire of the Citadel.  You only get the resource back when he dies, but chump blockers tend to die quickly.  The Gondor restriction for getting the resource back is more limiting, but there's good Gondor heroes, an indispensable leadership attachment that gives Gondor, and now a free attachment that gives Gondor.  As good as a free Distant Relative in a 3-sphere deck?  No.  A precedent for an effectively free chump blocker in leadership?  Yes.

Distant relative in a tri-sphere deck for free is a fine card, because it's free.  Would he be worth playing in a tri-sphere deck for effectively 1?  Not always, because a 1wp quester, or a chump blocker, isn't worth much.  He's got his smoothing ability, but I don't know that it'd necessarily outweigh a Snowbourn's Scout progress, or Envoy of Pelragir's net-1 if you have a noble (since Envoy has +1 attack, and nobles are common).  Since you're tri-sphere, he's also compete with 1-cost allies from other spheres, and there's a bunch of them that have more useful and interesting abilities.  It'd be a tough sell.  That leadership can boost his questing with global buffs I don't see as relevant -- leadership can boost *everybody's* questing with global buffs, including the 1-cost competitors.  That he's eligible for the Gondor buffs I also don't see as a major factor, both because it also applies to three other 1-cost cards, and because Gondor decks are often monosphere leadership, needing neither smoothing nor free cards.  I don't think a Gondor deck would go tri-sphere just to take advantage of this card, because it's not *that* good, even in a Gondor deck.  I'd rather have Guardian of the Citadel for 2 in a Gondor deck than a 1-cost relative, because he starts with 1 attack and 2 hp, and leadership resources usually aren't scarce.

Still, it's not inherently a problem that he has good alternatives at net-cost-1 in a tri-sphere deck.  Alternatives are good, and at net-zero I think it's easy to sell him as better than all the 1-cost allies.  But that's tri-sphere.  I think the bigger problem is that at net-cost-2 he's a *terrible* card and will never be played.  Just as I think all secrecy cards should at least be playable at full price (even if not good value), I think all unity cards should at least be playable in a two-sphere deck, and this card wouldn't be.  So given a card that's great at net-zero, playable at net-one, and useless at net-two, I'd rather have a card that's great in tri-sphere and playable in dual-sphere than a card that's playable in tri-sphere and useless outside it.

But isn't having a great card be free OP?  No, because it's only great *because* it's free.  A one-time smoothing effect isn't overpowered, and a 1/0/0/1 ally is practically useless.  Zero-cost cards *need* to be great for free, because they take deck space, and a small benefit for free generally isn't worth having in your hand instead of a more expensive, but more useful card.  My binders are full of 0-cost attachments and 0-cost events that never see the light of day, not because the effect is useless, but simply because the effect is small or situational.

If you wanted to up the cost, up his stats as well.  If he were 1/1/1/1 he'd have comparable ongoing value to the venerable Guard of the Citadel (a little less valuable, since for low-defense allies I'd rather have 0 def 2 hp than 1 def 1 hp), so combined with a slight smoothing he *might* be playable in a two-sphere deck, and be a great deal at one in a tri-sphere deck.  Though being a little more attractive than Guard of the Citadel has coaster written all over it.

Another approach would be to up the cost and stats dramatically.  Make him cost 5 with a X unity discount and give him cost-4 stats, and you have an ally that's expensive to play, but has a net cost of only 2 (tri-sphere) or 3 (dual-sphere) with some smoothing, and can also work well with A Very Good Tale and similar cost-for-benefit cards.  Of course, the name would have to go.