Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ihavebadluck

initiative

12 posts in this topic

I'm new, but I believe the player with initiative "wins the tie". If we both have ps 9 pilots, the player with initiative moves last and shoots first.

I'm new, but I believe the player with initiative "wins the tie". If we both have ps 9 pilots, the player with initiative moves last and shoots first.

very close, but not quite.

Initiative breaks most ties, so if there are any ties for PS when placing ships on the board, the ship with initiative goes in first, if there are any ties for PS during activation, the ship with initiative moves first, and if there are any ties for PS during combat, the ship with initiative fires first.

Edited by Cptnhalfbeard

I will also add that if 2 effects trigger at the exact same time the ship with initiative triggers first (even if the PS of the ships are different).  It doesn't happen often, but here is a good example:

an x-wing with R2-D2 does a green forward maneuver collides with a ship with Anti-Pursuit Lasers. Both R2D2 and APL state their effect happens "after executing a maneuver", so they both trigger at the same time.  The player with initiative would resolve their effect first - so if the x-wing had initiative, the x-wing would regen a shield with R2D2, then roll a damage die for the APL.

That One Guy and Veldrin like this

where can I find the reference to the "player with initiative does his effect first" ruling? Im in charge of a shop tournament, and need to know where this came from so I can reference it

Also keep in mind that in terms of shooting with the same PS, it doesn't actually matter, you'll still get your attack.

but crit effects do take place immediately, eg. blinded pilot, weapons malfunction, munitions failure

I will also add that if 2 effects trigger at the exact same time the ship with initiative triggers first (even if the PS of the ships are different).  It doesn't happen often, but here is a good example:

an x-wing with R2-D2 does a green forward maneuver collides with a ship with Anti-Pursuit Lasers. Both R2D2 and APL state their effect happens "after executing a maneuver", so they both trigger at the same time.  The player with initiative would resolve their effect first - so if the x-wing had initiative, the x-wing would regen a shield with R2D2, then roll a damage die for the APL.

that's my example! fun game, that was...

DraconPyrothayan likes this

where can I find the reference to the "player with initiative does his effect first" ruling? Im in charge of a shop tournament, and need to know where this came from so I can reference it

I believe it's in the Tournament Rule-book. (I'd like a copy of this, actually. Anyone know where to find one?)

The tricky thing I've found with Initiative in this game is that it forces the player with initiative to activate and move before his opponent if they are on the same pilot skill. It seems to work in reverse here because it effectively gives the opponent a chance to see what you are doing first. Once combat starts, the player with initiative gets to shoot first which is logical, as that's what initiative is.

Other games I've played where initiative is diced for each round, the player that wins it for the round can choose to move first or fire first. I had to read the Initiative section twice because I was so used to that style of play.