Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
la1cajun

How many cards do you put in your deck!

22 posts in this topic

Hey guys, been working on deck building and just wanted to throw a question out on how many cards you guys use in your decks. Yall go with 50 or is it a bit better when not in tournament play to go with around 40 to 45 or so? Thanks fellas, 

The Cajun

50 is the legal minimum.. BUT

The card draw and deck manipulation in this game is out of control. When you have a unlimited hand size and you sometimes have 10+ cards in hand.. having exactly 50 cards is not really an issue. With things like Stargazer, Gildor, and the host of Lore options you shouldn't be afraid to go over in your initial versions of the deck.

Most o the time as you play you will notice what cards are drawn and you think "this dose nothing for me... wish I drew X instead".. then you just whittle these out. Getting to 50 is the goal. Still even 55 can function as a deck.. especially in multiplayer when the other players can take some of the heat.

chuckles likes this

Generally range between 50-53, occasionally more. I do try to get down to 50 but i don't always succeed. Especially triple favored or Lore decks when I have included lots of card draw. 

Edited by chuckles
joezim007 likes this

Cool, thanks for the input guys. All makes sense. I dabble in a little magic here and there at work cause its quick for me and my buddy at lunch to get a game in. So I know what ya mean by drawing cards and wondering, WTH did I put this in here for and weeding things out.

Im gonna try to stick with around 50. If I have a little more Ill look through again like Mndela said. Im gonna try 2 sphere with some song cards and splash a 3rd sphere in and hope it works with the attachments. It will be my first deck and I only have the core set and hunt for gollum, and hopefully the carrock soon. So well see. Got to come up with what I want to be important in the deck and how I want it to work. Without a large card pool will be a little task but well see how it goes.

I stay around 50, usually because there's a few cards you need to get your deck to really click, and the fewer fluff cards in the deck, the better chance they come up. I will make exceptions for cards like Daeron's Runes or something though if I have 50 cards and don't want to move anything around, since it's just free card draw.

50 +/- 0.

Here's the thing for me: if I never ever mulliganed then more than fifty would be fine, but there are always cards I would prefer to see in my opening hand. I've never played a deck in any game where this is not true. And so, I'll always be playing 50 in this game.

jjeagle likes this

50 +/- 0.

Here's the thing for me: if I never ever mulliganed then more than fifty would be fine, but there are always cards I would prefer to see in my opening hand. I've never played a deck in any game where this is not true. And so, I'll always be playing 50 in this game.

Me too.

I go over 50, depending on the amount of card draw I have.

Without exception, I always use Lore, so draw power comes quite easy.

I see no reason to not add draw power over 50 cards to a deck.

If you play mono lore you can safely go up to 60 cards using mithrandirs advice, daerons runes & gleowine.

I've had sessions where I had drawn through the entire deck.

Edited by Noccus

I go over 50, depending on the amount of card draw I have.

Without exception, I always use Lore, so draw power comes quite easy.

I see no reason to not add draw power over 50 cards to a deck.

If you play mono lore you can safely go up to 60 cards using mithrandirs advice, daerons runes & gleowine.

I've had sessions where I had drawn through the entire deck.

The reason for limiting yourself to 50 cards has already been stated. The most important part of this game is to get your key cards as early as possible. Best they're in your starting hand already. While it is fun to draw dozens of cards later in the game, it really isn't that neccessary to achieve a win.

jjeagle likes this

I agree with what you are saying, all of it, if you are building power decks.

The fun you state in card draw is, at least for me, well, fun!

And that's what this game is about in my book.

Fun, not power decks.

ZanzibarLand likes this

I agree with what you are saying, all of it, if you are building power decks.

The fun you state in card draw is, at least for me, well, fun!

And that's what this game is about in my book.

Fun, not power decks.

It's fun to draw them.

It is dull to hold them. :P

ZanzibarLand likes this

Generally range between 50-53, occasionally more. I do try to get down to 50 but i don't always succeed. Especially triple favored or Lore decks when I have included lots of card draw. 

50-53 is what I shoot for also. I may have had 54 once or twice.

Usually 50 although I have some decks that add more depending on the number of players like mentioned earlier.

quote from TftC:

Let’s take another scenario. Many players ask whether keeping to the 50 card minimum is really that important. How does increasing the deck size affect the odds of drawing a key card? What if we increased our decks to a massive 60 cards to include all those cool effects we normally have to cut out? The probability would fall to 50%, which actually isn’t as precipitous a decline as I was expecting. Thus, the number of copies of a card is actually a bigger factor in the probability of drawing it than the deck size (assuming you’re not going crazy and inflating your deck to ungodly sizes). In fact, you’d have to go all the way up to around a 70 card deck before you would equal the impact of removing just one copy of the desired card. Of course, keep in mind that consistency means more than simply the probability of drawing a certain card in your hand, so don’t take this as an endorsement for building 60-card decks. 50 card decks are still the ideal if you want maximum consistency for your deck in general, not just in terms of one card (it would take further statistical modeling to prove this, which is beyond my attention span at the moment, but you’ll have to take my word for it). However, if you’re worried that using a 52-card deck (the size of a deck of cards for standard games like poker) will impact your chances of drawing a certain card dramatically, the actual impact is negligible (a 1% decrease).

full \articlehttp://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/2014/03/20/a-note-on-probability/#more-2612:

Generally range between 50-53, occasionally more. 

Thats my range too. General 50 Cards, but some Quests needs 1 - 3 additional cards...