Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mndela

The most treachery hated card

66 posts in this topic

Collateral Damage, more so than Local Trouble, makes Peril in Pelargir a crap-shoot. It's capacity to escalate into a Doomed 6 or 8 is a game-ender, and it feels completely out of your control when that happens.

Southron Support drives us mad. Not only does it give us two new enemies, in most of the encounter decks there aren't even any particularly weak Harad enemies to pull! And then 3 doomed on top, in quests that like to pile on the threat and/or punish you for having high threat? Oooh, naaaaasty!

I kinda understand the Doomed 3 because it makes the card relevant in solo/when cancelled, but anything that resolves for 2+ non-trivial enemies shouldn't really have a threat boost on top! Hmm, maybe the text could have "Then, each player reduces their threat by the number of cards added by this effect"...

JonofPDX likes this

Southron Support drives us mad. Not only does it give us two new enemies, in most of the encounter decks there aren't even any particularly weak Harad enemies to pull! And then 3 doomed on top, in quests that like to pile on the threat and/or punish you for having high threat? Oooh, naaaaasty!

I kinda understand the Doomed 3 because it makes the card relevant in solo/when cancelled, but anything that resolves for 2+ non-trivial enemies shouldn't really have a threat boost on top! Hmm, maybe the text could have "Then, each player reduces their threat by the number of cards added by this effect"...

That would make the card much nicer.

But it's not nice. It's MEAN. And evil. And the malevolent embodiment of Sauron's increasing menace as his black-hearted armies encroach on the lands of men. And a ******. This card is SUCH a ******. 

Stupid Southron Support...

I am currently playing Khazad-dum, and hate this card with a vengeance:

ffg_sudden-pitfall-kd.jpg

On my very first game of Into the Pit I drew Sudden Pitfall as my first card, instantly killing a hero. Not a great way to start a scenario!

Sudden Pitfall is really nasty. I hate its shadow effect even more though.

Were you blocking with an ally? Oh well now this attack is undefended. Were you blocking with a hero? Discard it, and then take the attack undefended anyway.

jnicol likes this

Anything that attaches to one of my heroes and does something awful during games when I don't have any attachment removal. The Spider's Web is pretty nasty if you cannot cancel it.

ffg_the-spiders-web-passage-through-mirk

Edited by divinityofnumber

Those-Now-Sundered.jpg

Oh sure, surge and doomed 1! Because this doesn't already make the game incredibly difficult! Lol. I know it's Nightmare, but this one is always such a heart breaker to see pop up.

PsychoRocka likes this

Good catch! That quest is hard enough in nightmare and you already lose a villager every turn if you don't reveal an extra encounter card during staging but no there just has to be this awful treachery/condition attachment as well.

Thematically what the hell is going on? I get that it sort of represents the various survivors of Amon Din being split apart and you therefore lose tokens from rescued villagers as some survivors split off and get lost or rescued by others or whatever however in the quest whenever villager tokens are discarded from a location, OBJECTIVE, or quest stage that token is then placed on dead villagers..... so not only would this card make you lose a token on rescued villagers each and every turn but you also gain one on dead villagers each and every turn from this effect. Do you think this is actually a mistake by the designers? It seems to me like this card should represent losing a token off rescued villagers but in no way should equate to more dead villagers as well....

Unless these two armoured guards are actually dark men fighting for Sauron who are pretending to be saviours but actually killing or enslaving these rescued villagers? 

Doesn't make sense mechanically or thematically and is certainly a very powerful and nasty treachery. 

Probably the Master's Malice for me.   Does nothing to monosphere,  wrecks anything else.  Mean.

Take Cover gets honorable mention for me, and Southern Support as well.

Those-Now-Sundered.jpg

Oh sure, surge and doomed 1! Because this doesn't already make the game incredibly difficult! Lol. I know it's Nightmare, but this one is always such a heart breaker to see pop up.

It's funny because the Nightmare scenario made the following one of my most feared treacheries in that scenario..."Oh, raise each player's threat by 18.  Here, have some Surge too!"

Burnt Homestead

Surge.  

When Revealed: Raise each player's threat by the number of damage tokens on Dead Villagers.

Edited by cmabr002
Chris51261 likes this

I really fear the bodyguards of Morgul Vale. It's very creepy. The most creepy encounter card to me

Edited by Mndela

Those-Now-Sundered.jpg

It's funny because the Nightmare scenario made the following one of my most feared treacheries in that scenario..."Oh, raise each player's threat by 18.  Here, have some Surge too!"

Burnt Homestead

Surge.  

When Revealed: Raise each player's threat by the number of damage tokens on Dead Villagers.

You're right! I did forget! But now that you mention it, I remember one time I was a turn away from victory and I got those back to back for like a 30 threat increase. That one is a doozy!

Chill Fog is pretty rough in multi-player.

On a side note - I've asked this before, but what's the best way to post images here? Seems I am not simply able to copy an image and then post it into the reply.

Edited by RobOz

in the actual text etc toolbar when you type out a post there is a button on the second row simply titled "image".

You can chuck the link to your image in there to include it in a post.