Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lumberjack Nick

Lucasfilm Limiting Hasbro. What does it mean for FFG

86 posts in this topic

Not sure if you heard but Lucasfilm has recently told Hasbro to absolutely not release anymore EU action figures. Anything they are currently releasing is fine, eg Mara Jade, but no more time will be put into developing EU figures for the foreseen future for Hasbro.

Maybe FFG releasing their EU focused wave so soon was a move to get them into the public awareness before Lucasfilm could make their current EU freeze mandate.

Could Lucasfilm's EU freeze on Hasbro also extend over into FFG's games? What do you think? Are we going to see anymore EU ships after this upcoming wave?

The issue is not whether FFG and Hasbro have a business relationship.  I think Lumberjack Nick is trying to draw attention to this is the first action that Lucasfilm has taken in licensing since their recent announcement that the EU is being..."demoted" (for want of a better word) in favor lf what will be shown in the films in Episode VII+.

So the next obvious question for us as the players and fans of a game that has pretty much used up all of the fighters from the films IV-VI is "Will FFG be told not to make any more EU ships?".  Especially thought provoking since Wave 4 consists of nothing but EU ships.

Time will tell...

mazz0 and Lumberjack Nick like this

Honestly, I foresee FFG being pulled into the LFL/Disney marketing plan. LFL used WOTC to help promote ROTS, The Force Unleashed, and The Clone Wars. As much as I want certain ships for Wave 5, I imagine Wave 5 is going to be Rebels related. With the next year shifting to Episode VII.

So yes, I imagine FFG will not have the freedom they used to have to choose which ships to make. How far reaching that will be remains to be seen.

davro and Lumberjack Nick like this

The issue is not whether FFG and Hasbro have a business relationship.  I think Lumberjack Nick is trying to draw attention to this is the first action that Lucasfilm has taken in licensing since their recent announcement that the EU is being..."demoted" (for want of a better word) in favor lf what will be shown in the films in Episode VII+.

So the next obvious question for us as the players and fans of a game that has pretty much used up all of the fighters from the films IV-VI is "Will FFG be told not to make any more EU ships?".  Especially thought provoking since Wave 4 consists of nothing but EU ships.

Time will tell...

If you see an E-Wing in the next movie it wont be "EU" anymore. I'm sure there will be new ships as well, but I wouldn't rule out FFG making anything we think is EU when it in fact might show up on screen and we just don't know it yet. Didn't think the Headhunter was EU anymore since Clone Wars had a variant of it though. 

Either way I could understand yanking the lease on Hasbro, their product is in a lot more stores than FFG's are and character figures could either give up plot points or serve to confuse people/kids. Plus I'm sure 477 different Mara Jades is enough for collectors collectors anyway. Fighter combat on the other hand isn't terribly revealing to plot and most of the people I've seen playing are old enough to know where Tie Defenders come from (Mommy and Daddy Tie Defenders obviously).

I would guess they could tighten the leash on FFG for any number of reasons but there are still ships from the films still unused and I'm 100% sure Rebels will give them things to work with as well. Of course as long as I get my Avenger and Gunboat I could care less what happens after that.

aadh, Araquay, hecabomb and 1 other like this

A possible explanation is that Episode 7 will be dealing with EU material and Lucasfilm/Disney wants to make sure any new products produced by Hasbro have tie-ins with the new film.

This makes the most sense. Star Wars has been all about the toys for decades. I would have to imagine they are stopping current EU production to work on all the Star Wars 7 stuff and to drum up more business.. No new Star Wars toys for several months? BAM! NUMBER 7 IS OUT! TOYS! TOYS EVERYWHEEEERE!

All this means is that Disney haven't yet set in stone the EU that they want as canon. Not a problem. They will be allowed to make new EU stuff as soon as its nailed down

The EU didn't get demoted, it got elevated to the same level.  It's considered full canon, we just don't know what's not included in the full version yet.

No is is not.

They have stated that everything published from now on is canon.

(so star wras rebels will be canon, but Mara Jade is not)

It would never ever work to make the EU canon as much of it contradicts the movies.

What is canon is dictated by the Lucasfilm Story Group

Edited by Quendil
mazz0 likes this

Maybe it's time for a new term: IU (Included Universe) ?!?

:blink:

IU is a good idea, spread it around...

A prime example would be Jedi Quinlan Vos, prior to his being mentioned in RotS he was just an EU character. Then he made an appearance in TCW, Hunt for Ziro episode I think. Now he is included but, how much of what he has effected in the SW universe is included?

Quinlan is part of the IU now... personally I would like to keep canon terms, characters and things, as references for the movies. General knowledge idea and concepts brought into canon from the EU would be easily marked as IU.

I am not saying we need to go through and re-classify everything, it would just seem to make better sense going forward.

Forensicus likes this

Maybe it's time for a new term: IU (Included Universe) ?!?

:blink:

IU is a good idea, spread it around...

A prime example would be Jedi Quinlan Vos, prior to his being mentioned in RotS he was just an EU character. Then he made an appearance in TCW, Hunt for Ziro episode I think. Now he is included but, how much of what he has effected in the SW universe is included?

Quinlan is part of the IU now... personally I would like to keep canon terms, characters and things, as references for the movies. General knowledge idea and concepts brought into canon from the EU would be easily marked as IU.

I am not saying we need to go through and re-classify everything, it would just seem to make better sense going forward.

You should be careful using logic, someone might hear you.

A possible explanation is that Episode 7 will be dealing with EU material and Lucasfilm/Disney wants to make sure any new products produced by Hasbro have tie-ins with the new film.

So this mean... a Han Solo action figure with... belly? :D

The EU didn't get demoted, it got elevated to the same level.  It's considered full canon, we just don't know what's not included in the full version yet.

No is is not.

They have stated that everything published from now on is canon.

(so star wras rebels will be canon, but Mara Jade is not)

It would never ever work to make the EU canon as much of it contradicts the movies.

What is canon is dictated by the Lucasfilm Story Group

While we can be assured that newly published material will be considered canon, that's not the only way things will be added to the official canon.  Based on Leland Chee's tweets they are planning on eventually talking about what existing books and what not is considered canon.

However, since FFG works so closely with LFL and presumably with the Story Group I think it's safe to consider the TIE Defender, TIE Phantom, E-Wing and Z-95 canon at this point.  Whatever unique named pilots are in there will be canon as well.  If Mara Jade is piloting a Defender (how cool would that be?) at that point we would KNOW she is considered canon.

CrookedWookie likes this

I wouldn't be so quick to declare Wave 4 as evidence of canon. Considering the long, long development time, I'm sure that Wave 4 was well in development by the time they announced the Story Group last fall. And really, this game is in no way an indication of what stories are still considered canon. Disney is not going to force the LFL discard all of it's Trademarks just to fit canon.

Parakitor likes this

This.  Wait on creating figures so that new figs can match the new characters or actors' likenesses.

Or Disney is looking to get Hasbro into a bidding war to keep the toy license.

IvlerIin likes this

If you see an E-Wing in the next movie it wont be "EU" anymore. 

Gosh I sure hope we don't see an E-Wing in the next movie unless it's in the distant background.   It is probably the ugliest ship ever.   

Maybe if they have an advanced E-Wing or something with some extra fancy parts or something.   The E-Wing just doesn't look cool enough and if you can trust one thing from the Star Wars franchise - it's that they will try to make everything marketable.  That means Aliens, lightsabers, blasters, vehicles, ships, costumes, etc.   Anything they can make into a toy and sell they will try.  And the current E-Wing simply isn't visually impressive enough to be a cash cow.  

I'd expect to see an update on the B-Wing to be honest.   That has a ton of possibilities.  

Scurvy Lobster likes this