Sign in to follow this  
Hydraface

Effective A-Wing lists

I am in a tournament this weekend. Thinking of flying AXXX.

Tycho with Assault Missiles, PtL, and Stealth

3 x Rookies

I know it's a lot on Tycho. I'm imagining a bunched formation moving toward the enemy, Awing in the rear. Once you close the gap, the Awing loops around to flank and launch missiles. After that, a straight up dogfight with decent power and survivability. Thoughts?

3 x Rookies

I know it's a lot on Tycho. I'm imagining a bunched formation moving toward the enemy, Awing in the rear. Once you close the gap, the Awing loops around to flank and launch missiles. After that, a straight up dogfight with decent power and survivability. Thoughts?

While I love Tycho for casual games, he's a bit overpriced for what he does. Downgrade to a green pilot w/ PtL & assault missiles, and you can turn all rookies to reds. 4 pts left can be used to put R2/R5's on reds, stealth back on green or best of all (imo) give 1 red R2D2. Edited by blade_mercurial

3 x Rookies

While I love Tycho for casual games, he's a bit overpriced for what he does. Downgrade to a green pilot w/ PtL & assault missiles, saving 7 pts, which you could use to upgrade all rookies to reds. Even have 1 pt left for initiative or an R2.

I would second that. I love Tycho, but stress is rarely a problem on an A-Wing so Tycho's ability, while awesome, is a little wasted. I can hope for an X-Wing Tycho.

3 x Rookies

While I love Tycho for casual games, he's a bit overpriced for what he does. Downgrade to a green pilot w/ PtL & assault missiles, saving 7 pts, which you could use to upgrade all rookies to reds. Even have 1 pt left for initiative or an R2.

I would second that. I love Tycho, but stress is rarely a problem on an A-Wing so Tycho's ability, while awesome, is a little wasted. I can hope for an X-Wing Tycho.

Admittedly, I played it tonight and absolutely demolished my opponent, though the dice were in my favor. However it's only our first few games so it's a small sample size.

3 x Rookies

I ran this but Green with PTL and Wedge with R2D2 and Swarm tactics instead of a Rookie.

3 x Rookies

I ran this but Green with PTL and Wedge with R2D2 and Swarm tactics instead of a Rookie.

How did it hold up? How did you fare? Anything you'd change?

AABBB is sadly powerful.  Bwings have one too many shields for their points, it's getting ridiculous how many are showing up and how many lists they spoil.  In 1-2 they aren't terrible but when you're looking at 3-4 of them in a list (sometimes with support!) it's just a mess to deal with.

Tycho was the first named pilot I ever flew.  Loved his ability and now that I can fly a lot better (Mostly mixed interceptor and mixed rebels with awings) I need to go back to him and see how much havoc I can cause with him. 

What's great about A & B lists is that if the opponent is bringing ordinance (Great for demolishing B-wings) then they will have real trouble with the A-wings.  If they take high-power ships, then the B-wings eat them.  Swarms are (as ever) effective, but the A-wings can really mess with them.  The greatest counter that i've found is just high-skill pilots, which make the maneuvering much harder for the A's and kill the B's without giving them return shots.

How did it hold up? How did you fare? Anything you'd change?

I only got to try it for one game, it's fun to fly and has a lot of alpha strike damage with Wedge and another 9PS due to swarm tactics, it comes in at 99 points too so you odds are you will shoot first before other lists.

In the game I played I didn't lose a ship, but I was against a Krass, Kagi, PS1 ceptor with Stealth.

Wedge got one shot all game and didnt get to use swarm tactics once due to a few pilot mistakes/bumps.

But it is a fun list and looks like it could hold up against Swarms as well, considering you have 6 damage alpha to open and hopefully kill one or two ships.

I don't think I'd change anything, it's pretty solid.

You could also try: Wedge + R2D2 + Adv Protons + Swarm tactics (41) (Thats 5 attack dice, change 3 blanks to focus so if you have a TL and then focus the turn after you have a 100% chance to hit at least 3 dice. and odds are you will roll other focus or hits anyway)

Rookie Pilot. (21)

Rookie Pilot (21) 

Prototype Pilot (17)

Total 100points.

^ That does however rely on wedge target locking at range 2-3 in the first combat, then saving it and getting in to range 1 of the target locked ship, and then focusing in turn 2 for some serious damage and most likely a kill, or a lot of HP gone from a shuttle or Firespray, or Falcon. Which could then be finished up by the PS9 boosted ship at range 1 hopefully.

Really you are looking to try to get a kill at range 3 with Wedge + Boosted PS9, then some damage with the other two you didn't boost. Then another Kill/big hit in turn 2 with the Missiles and hopefully a range 1 PS9 shot as well (hopefully an X-wing for 4 dice)

Thoughts? I realize if its vs a swarm wedge will probably die in the first round of combat if he gets focused by the swarm and you dont get a kill or two with the double PS9 bid. It is more an X-wing list than and A-wing list but, hey, it's got an A-wing in it =P

Edited by KovuTalli

So I ultimately ran a three ship fleet: Tough nut Chewbacca, Uber-X-wing Wedge with R2-D2 and a green pilot with PTL and Cluster missiles. Here's what I learned, vis-a-vis the A'wing (which certainly pulled it's weight during the game, proving an effective alpha-striker and harrasser. It did the heavy-lifting when it iced a Tie bomber with just a bit of help from Wedge, before it could unleash any ordnance too, then effectively pecked away at the shields of a bounty-hunter's Firespray)

1) It can MOVE! It's a joy to fly these 'lil hot-rods around, and it adds a layer of depth for rebels to have a super-manouverable blighter bouncin' around.

2) Cluster missiles seem like a great fit for these ships! It's the only missile I used, but couple it with PTL and you're going to cause some real damage. And the close range is no prob for such a manouverable vessel.

3) Tycho's likely useless. Some veteran will likley disagree, but as was pointed out, there's so darn much green on the wheel, you ain't gonna have a problem shifting the stress after PTL'ing or whatever.  Good thing too 'cos...

4) Standard fire-power ain't much to brag aboot. PTL or Marksman or summat seems nigh on essential to help keep this thing a danger to the, broadly-speaking, more evasive Imperial ships.

The A-Wing's a bundle of laughs! You thinking of buying one? I'd recommend two! Being able to just zip about all over the place is fun and tactically viable, it helps you control the board a bit more.

Personally, I'll be ignoring the named characters; they don't seem worth the points for some selective and circumstantial abilities. I'd say, if you have the points, a Green with PTL is worth it, and you may as well chuck on a missile upgrade because you will very likely earn them points back!

Otherwise, if you're going for a proto, may as well get two; one seems like it won't get much done, but two bodies on the battlefield   more than  doubles the worth of a single ship. I'd guess; I haven't used 'em much, jjust seems how it'd be.

All in all, I can't wait to field them A-wings again, and AABBX sounds like too much fun to ignore!

I'll be running AXXX later today for a tournamet.

Most likely the A will be Green Squad with Stealth and PtL. I'm also thinking Concussion Missiles, but haven't decided yet. Aside from that, I'm thinking Wedge and 2 Rooks.

Most likely the A will be Green Squad with Stealth and PtL. I'm also thinking Concussion Missiles, but haven't decided yet. Aside from that, I'm thinking Wedge and 2 Rooks.

Let me know how this runs. As I said above I'm thinking of Similar but no Missiles on A and Swarm tacts + R2D2 On wedge, may drop the R2D2 for missiles on the A.

Let me know how this runs. As I said above I'm thinking of Similar but no Missiles on A and Swarm tacts + R2D2 On wedge, may drop the R2D2 for missiles on the A.

Yea, I'll definitely post a report. I was thinking R2 as well, or missiles on Wedge, but I don't want to leave him too tempting a target right off the bat.

Yea, I'll definitely post a report. I was thinking R2 as well, or missiles on Wedge, but I don't want to leave him too tempting a target right off the bat.

Exactly why I was thinking of dropping the R2 for missiles, means the A-wing gets some added punch.

Ever thought of running Adv protons on Wedge? If you can get them off with TL and Focus, you are looking at 5 Dice, most likely all hitting since you get to change 3 blanks to focus. And the defender gets -1 Agi Dice due to it being Wedge, he just has to make it in to range 1 with a target lock and no bump so he can attack and focus.

I won a 12 player tournament using 2 A-Wings and 3 B-Wings. I crushed my opponents 100-22, 100-0 and 100-17. Faced mostly Imperial swarms. I really like flying that list. 3 slow tough heavy hitters and 2 nimble fighter to do all sorts of funky stuff. Even tho they don't have any special abilities they synergise extremely well together. Action blocking into focus firing, spreading shots across your squadron and placing asteroids is key. Having 32 Hitpoints and massive firepower helps too.

Edited by Weidekuh

Here's a quick run down on today's tournament. Please note that this is my first tournament so I made a few huge blunders, and my memory won't be super perfect. On a side note - someone said the world champion was there, but I have no idea if that was the case, or if someone was talking about a game they had played against him at another location.

My List: Green Squadron with PtL and Concussion Missiles, 2 x Rookies, Wedge with Marksmanship. (This is different from what I intended because my friend wanted to use his Stealth Devices and I don't own one).

Match 1:

Small Tie Swarm - My big blunder of the match was K-turning too soon, and showing the swarm my backside when I was hoping to be behind them. Poor piloting on my part. I did, however, manage to pick off two Ties (of his 5 and 1 Advanced) before the match was over. Aside from the bonehead move early on, the list actually did pretty well and was surpsingly resilient.

0-1

Match 2:

BXXX - Again I made a pretty stupid mistake of not taking Wedge's ability into account (...for the entire match, whoops). As well, I nailed one of his X's pretty hard early on, but later he mentioned it should've been against Biggs, which means I probably would've dropped Biggs in the second-third round and had much easier go of things. We played to time, Again, the list has great survivability. Even without the Stealth Device, having Focus and Evade on the Awing made him hard to hit.

0-2

Match 3:

XXBHwk - My opponent was a bit of jerk about the dice. He kept whining every time they didn't roll his way. His Ion Turret on the Hwk was a pain, and while he was playing Roark, he kept bumping up the wrong pilots. He'd take a pilot that was already going to fire before me, and make him a 12. At the end, I killed his Hwk with my last Rookie for a modified win.

1-2

Match 4:

2 x Ties, Shuttle, Firespray - Never flew against a Shuttle before so it was different. I knocked it out pretty early, and just about had the Firespray done as well His 2 Ties were a pain but I could never seem to get a good line on them. Went to time with an Xwing left.

1-3

Overall: I would drop the Concussion Missiles and Marksmanship. If I had the ships, I'd run Green Squad + PtL+ SD, 2xB's, and Wedge with Swarm Tactics. I like the list and can't wait to play it again. The Awing is a blast, and was almost always my last ship in the fight. Just plucky as hell.

Sounds like you had fun at least =D Which is the most important thing. so XXXA Is pretty survivable huh? I may have to run it like I was planning. Think I will drop the R2 since I assume Wedge gets Hammered early and use the points for Missiles instead.

Edit: Not one to double post to bump it so I'll post it here.

I went 2-2 with a AAYB list in a Tournament yesterday.

Green, PTL

Green, PTL

Dutch - Ion cannon Turret

Dagger - Ion Cannon

99 pts.

One of my wins I rolled pretty hard, 2nd was down to the last 60 seconds and the last shot.

My two losses were mainly from losing shots/actions from the B and Y bumping things or getting ion'd vs Rebel list with Ion.

Still a very fun list to run, I find if people don't focus on your B or Y first or spread their damage you can get a very good advantage early on, A-wings generally run up the side straight 5 with boosts then Sharp/gentle 2 in to the side/back of the fight for first round of combat - Y and B are together and moving 1's until the A-wings get in position unless they break off for the A's then you "Rush" The Y and B up and get Ion shots in.

Double Ion so I can control where and when big ships move in a single turn instead of having to take two turns to Ion, I am tempted to drop the B-wings however, or maybe drop it entirely for maybe an X-wing, maybe Biggs to keep that Y alive longer.

Edited by KovuTalli

I ran this last week, I didn't win but it wasn't because of the list my own inexperience caused it.

A-WING: · Arvel Crynyd (23)

Chardaan Refit (-2)

A-Wing Test Pilot (0)

Intimidation (2)

A-WING: · Gemmer Sojan (22)

E-WING: · Etahn A'Baht (32)

· R2-D2 (4)

Z-95 HEADHUNTER: · Airen Cracken (19)