Sign in to follow this  
Hydraface

Effective A-Wing lists

I play for fun as much as for victory. Recently got me a pair of A-wings and repainted 'em. I'd love to give these guys a whirl, but I find it hard to put them in a list. I'd especially love to field Tycho with Push the limits or Expert Handling.

I had some ideas for some lists, but who's got some experience of using A-'s in a fun and competitive way? Again, true knowledge comes from experience, so I gotta field them to truly learn, but any tips and advice on how to get the most out of these devilish 'lil hotrods would be welcome!

For me, I have the most fun with them in non-tourney style matches.  Scenarios are where they shine the most, since they can get in quick and hit priority targets before the heavy hitters show up.

For a tourney, you could try the same tactic.  Take the A-wing out of formation and attempt flanking maueuvers from the side or rear.  If you have the stealth device and push the limit cards, you can make a very survivable ship. They don't pack a whole lot of offensive power in a 100pt match, though, so they have limited effectiveness. 

If you are going to use Tycho then push the limit is a MUST. His ability was tailor made for it. I however don't really like using the named A-Wing pilots as I feel they are just a tad but too pricey for me. Tycho can be pretty fun to use though. Green Squadron Pilot with push the limit and a missile is a good option as well in a mixed squad.

I have a lot of fun flying this list though:

Prototype Pilot x2

Blue Squadron Pilot x2

Rookie Pilot

It's fun and reasonably competitive. Opponents usually ignore the A-Wings, so you can use them to flank and get behind your opponent. 

I ran this at the North American Championship at Gen Con and went 3-1:

Wedge, Expert Handling, R2, stealth

Green Squadron, PTL, Concussion

Green Squadron, PTL

Prototype

The above squadron lacks a slight bit of punch when wedge goes down, so you can switch it up to this:

Dagger Squadron, Advanced Sensors

Rookie

I've found where two Greens with PTL and two B's works really well. The actions are key for A-wings though. F/TL will actually give you pseudo firepower 3 while F/Ev will make you super tanky as long as you can avoid arcs. You get blocked and you may be toast.

For me, I have the most fun with them in non-tourney style matches.  Scenarios are where they shine the most, since they can get in quick and hit priority targets before the heavy hitters show up.

For a tourney, you could try the same tactic.  Take the A-wing out of formation and attempt flanking maueuvers from the side or rear.  If you have the stealth device and push the limit cards, you can make a very survivable ship. They don't pack a whole lot of offensive power in a 100pt match, though, so they have limited effectiveness. 

Flanking with them works well.  I often play on larger places than the 3x3 board, and the a wing shines here.  They are able to draw ships away, then zip back to the fray denying your opponent a turn or two of shooting.  They might also be used to flank and deal a little damage from where they cannot be shot.  They can also move to chase stragglers, or ships trying to avoid taking that last hit or two.  I think they're great fun, but they do tend to pop quickly if you're not careful or aware of where your enemies with have their arcs next turn.

I think the key to using the A-wing is to keep them cheap.  My favorite combo is:

Green+Deadeye+Assault Missile

For 25 points you get a turn one, anti-swarm, havoc causing, racehorse.  Throw out two of these for even more fun, then back them up with B, X, or Y-wings.

Here's my favorite combo I call the A-Team:
http://xwing-builder.co.uk/view/44599/the-a-team

Edited by Stone37

One of my favorite rebel lists is two a-wings and two b-wings

prototype w/ homing missile

green squadron w/ ptl, assault missile

blue squadron w/ fire control

dagger squadron w/ advanced sensors

imo tycho doesn't bring enough, A-wings dial has so much green getting rid of stress is not a problem.  Assault missiles mess up an awful lot of lists, and with ptl you can always fire it with a target lock and a focus.

I've run them with XBAY configurations and had success. The A-Wing is basically a dog chasing traffic at that point while the rest of the group moves together. With PTL and concussion missiles on a Green you can really force people to have to decide on what to chase after.

Thnanks for all the advice on this one guys. I like the idea that you don't really NEED Tycho to use PTL...it's true that A's have enough green that it doesn't really matter. That frees up some points and opens some options. Ho Ho Ho, now I have homing missiles.  I'm now much more prepared to use these hot-rods in a game! I'll letcha all know how it goes when I have done so...

Pure, undiluted A-Wing madness, but an absolute blast to fly is

37 points
Tycho Celchu
Homing Missiles, Push the Limit, Stealth Device

30 points
Green Squadron Pilot #1

30 points
Green Squadron Pilot #2

At 97 points, you will have initiative and use your speed and green moves to get around the enemy. Send those missiles in from range 3 from a flank then zoom in and out, in and out.

Edited by Englishpete

Looks fun Pete, but I only have one A-wing atm :( Got a 2nd on Order.

I've been looking at a list I like to call "Lando and the A's" for when I do get a 2nd. It's Lando with VI So he shoots first, And either a mix of two proto's or One Proto and a Green with PTL and all packing Assault missiles.

Tie swarms beware!

Try this bad boy for a Lando list, Barrel Rolling a Falcon is

a. Ridiculously fun

b. Bloody effective.

46 points
Lando Calrissian
Expert Handling

27 points
Green Squadron Pilot #1
Homing Missiles, Push the Limit

27 points
Green Squadron Pilot #2
Homing Missiles, Push the Limit
Edited by Englishpete

I only run A swarms in a friendly game, usually 5 Protos with stealth or 4 green with stealth + PTL.  They always do better than expected and for fragile ships, they stick around.

The A-wings (and the Tie-A) are tough little buggers to catch and get a clean shot at.  Even when you do, they are rolling 3 or 4 dice (and usually have tokens!).  A good A-wing player bides his time and waits for his opponent to get frustrated.  This leads to a hasty and risky action that can be capitalized on all too often.