Sign in to follow this  
Omnus

Anyone know When the FFG License is up?

Hey all. Im just getting started in X-wing and Ive fallen in love with it. Im also a competitive mini-wargamer (see Warmachine) and want to get in deep here. My only concern is that Disney would not renew the License and the game would reach a dead end in the future. 

Does anyone know when the license is up for renewal?

I dont think Disney is some horrible company with our game on the chopping block, but Im interested to se what happens. If anything, I could see Disney making the renewal cost a bit too high for FFG... but we'll see. 

Given the huge success of the game, and the fact that Disney doesn't own a subsidiary company with the same standing and skillset as FFG (it made sense to oust Dark Horse in favour of Marvel to publish the comics for instance), I consider it unlikely.

It's Disney.  They are moving the assets in the franchise to subsidiaries that they do control.  From the business side of things, it makes perfect sense.  The question is, does Disney own a gaming company like Parker Bros, or something similar?  If they do, then there is a good chance that this will happen in the future.  I will continue to enjoy the game as much as I do until I can no longer do so.

In an interview by the folks at Team Covenant, Steve Horvath (Senior Vice President of Communications at FFG) said at Gencon last year, "This is just the beginning."

I know that's vague, but I get the impression FFG has waves of ships planned out for the coming years. I don't think  anything to worry about.

disney would be dumb if they would screw up the star wars fans all over the planet if they cut FFG boardgame down + they are in high stress to not fail the 7th episode i mean come on i dont want to see donald duck with a light saber in his hands and no musical **** pls.. and i heard they will make movies about the characters that lived in that time period and split that in 3 part **** but dont know if thats true well yeah back to the licensing thing i hope that it will stay the same and that nothing gets screwed up.

as our Han said once: i got a baaaaaad feeling about this

Sorry to disagree but I do not think Disney is an evil company. Who is to say if they do take it over that it will be bad?

Disney taking over star wars gaming or passing it elsewhere wouldn't necessarily be bad, but it would DEFINITELY without doubt end ALL star wars related publications by FFG, including X Wing, the RPG and the card game. From a publisher point of view, they don't have anyone who currently publishes RPGs or war games but they DO have who knows how many toy publishers. It appears that the FFG license will last a while, but we don't know what Disney will do beyond that, unfortunately. Do they have designers with the pedigree of FFG? No. We don't know if they have designers with the talent, however.

All we can hope is that our game will keep going for years to come. Maybe, if and when the license turns over, FFG will get to keep going, but we love it and we'll enjoy it as long as we can.

Don't apply smart/logic/evil to any of this speculation.  Disney is a big company and does not need the licensing fees from FFG.  It would not be the first time that a larger company terminated licensing for a product even though they had no intention to produce it under their own name or license it out to anyone else.  Many companies just plain will not license out anything like that, because they loose some control over product.

Enjoy the ride, for one day it will end.

As long as I can get everything that is already announced, I will be happy.  Everything I really want out already, and it is a fine deep game with the current stuff.  

I think ending the production of new stuff would not be a bad thing overall because at some point they will need to make things that break the game to keep us buying ships we have no interest in.  It happens in all games like this.

FFG picked up the license from LFL in Summer 2010 after WotC dumped it.  I believe it was originally a 5 year deal like the two Wizards deals before it.  I believe FFG's perfomance with the license this year will determine the future of the game.

even if the license ran out at the end of 2014, and wave 4 are the last ships we get, I would say it is a rather "complete" game, even with just what we have now (wave 1-3).  Not that there isn't room for improvement or plenty of ways to expand via either new ships or just new cards, but even for a new player I wouldn't really worry too much about the game abruptly ending "unfinished"

Most of ya'll don't seem to know how Licenses work. The License holder does not care about prior success, only if the License is making money. Even then, they don't care if they have good relations with the current holder of the License. The License will be put of for bid again, and the highest bidder will win, nothing prior matters, just how much companies are willing to spend. Nothing "Evil" about it.

Take Decipher for example. They were making a large sum of money with the Star Wars CCG. They were not willing to spend the money to renew, and the game died. The card game the new lisense holder made pales in comparison, both on money making and game play categories. Another example is when Agents of Gaming had the Babylon 5 Wars licence. Babylon 5 Wars was and is superior to anything others companies have done with the licence since. Agents of Gaming just could not pay the current cost for the licence, sad really, they were responsible for the raising cost of the license as an investment.

X Wing's popularity may push the furture cost of the license out of FFG's grasp.

WotC "dumped" it or simply chose not to renew it for whatever reason.  Sorry if this is the FFG board but I rather liked my SAGA Edition roleplaying game which could/should have had a few more books printed for it.  If you tell me WotC's StarWars starship game sucked I'll agree 100% but I was reasonably happy with their skirmish miniatures (even with the random packaging once a complete set was just four figures past a booster case) and loved the roleplaying game.  Disney bought out SW after that and I wonder if they had done so sooner if WotC wouldn't still have license.

Don't get me wrong, X-Wing is a great game but I was happy with 2/3 of what WotC had done with it.

I figure if the license runs out they'll make an identical game in the Twilight Imperium universe or something. I don't know about most people, but I'd still be into this game with a different theme, because for me the primary draw to this game is the variety and balance of the ships. To be honest, I don't really care too much for the Star Wars setting, especially pretty much all of the pilots except like 6 are from books I haven't read or games I haven't played. Not to mention with wave 4 coming out, the ships I'm going to be making squads around aren't from anything I'm familiar with. Not that I mind the new ships or pilots from books I haven't read, a lot of them sounded cool enough for me to give the books a shot.

I'm afraid since the day Disney took control over star wars. Most people were happy to get new films and other stuff.

The only thing in my head was: Nooooo! Not the FFG License. D: