Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Seiito

Star Wars Episode 7

57 posts in this topic

In 2015 Star Wars Episode 7 will be unleashed upon a new generation. Given what happened last time George Lucas decided to go for the kiddies, what do you think Disney's attempt will entail if they do the same course?

I think JJ Abrams gets both what is right and wrong with Star Wars.  

I have no doubt about the visuals he will produce.  The fact they are shooting on film and using sets and models is heartening from a technical perspective.  

Actors tend to do better with actual locations and sets than green screens.  He's already said Star Wars is a western, on the frontier, that sounds good. 

We don't know the story.  That's pretty hard to overstate.  Love the prequels/hate the prequels is irrelevant, the bottom line is the plot for the prequels was known for a long time, no real surprises at all which takes the fun out of it.  You knew where and how the trilogy ended before Phantom Menace was done with the first screen crawl.

I think you put that all together and the new movies will be good.  What remains to be seen is will they be great?  I will be happy with good.  I'll be 10 years old again with great....

Edited by 2P51

Given what happened last time George Lucas decided to go for the kiddies

As if it ever was meant for "adults" in the first place... Come on. I was a Star Wars nut before I turned ten.... Many years before the prequels came out.

Yeah, I was about to say - from day one the series has always been a big budget Flash Gordon written for kids who didn't have a Republic Serial of their own. It's just that when the franchise didn't grow up with them, they became annoyed. The slapstick has always been there, the stupid humor has always been there - we're just adult enough now to notice it.

As long as JJ Abrams has someone else look over his script and veto any plotholes he writes in, I am all for it... but all of his movies have pretty gaping plot holes. In fact, I'm going to go ahead and say I like Episode 1 better than anything JJ Abrams will or has produced.

Doubt I'll watch it.  Don't like Abrams, so I'm expecting it to be garbage. Typical EU fanfiction, with overpowered anime Jedi everywhere.

And that way, if it isn't, and gets a good buzz, I'll be pleasantly surprised. :)

Even it's good, it won't have the slightest impact on my games. Quite happy with using the original movies as a baseline, thanks.

It might possibly have the benefit of tidying up the clutter of the EU, but there's no guarantee it won't replace it with something worse.

(However, I felt sure SW was about to get a Trek-style reboot, and I'm at least grateful that isn't happening...)

Edited by Maelora
HappyDaze likes this

I think JJ Abrams gets both what is right and wrong with Star Wars.  

I have no doubt about the visuals he will produce.  The fact they are shooting on film and using sets and models is heartening from a technical perspective.  

Actors tend to do better with actual locations and sets than green screens.  He's already said Star Wars is a western, on the frontier, that sounds good. 

We don't know the story.  That's pretty hard to overstate.  Love the prequels/hate the prequels is irrelevant, the bottom line is the plot for the prequels was known for a long time, no real surprises at all which takes the fun out of it.  You knew where and how the trilogy ended before Phantom Menace was done with the first screen crawl.

I think you put that all together and the new movies will be good.  What remains to be seen is will they be great?  I will be happy with good.  I'll be 10 years old again with great....

I feel the same way. I was a little bit worried when they announced that they were making a sequel, but when they said JJ was doing I knew it was going to be fine. He's a huge star wars fan so he doesn't want to screw this movie up, plus he gave an interview where he talked about what made the original trilogy great and how the prequels ignored that stuff. As for Bangkok's fear of JJ's script, he's not writing it. The guy who wrote toy story 3 is writing it with the help of one of the writers from the original trilogy.

Michael Arndt was removed from writing duties and replaced with Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan.  I'm a little concerned with Abrams writing but I'm thinking the story idea is his and Kasdan is there to make the structure work.

But lens flare is the automatic recipe for awesome!

At least that's what they seem to teach at every 3D animation and media graphics curriculum from the amount of lens flare one sees in graduate demo reels.

I just hope for a good story. I'll admit that I'm biased in that visuals, camera angle, etc. won't affect me at all. But when you try to tell the stories of Episodes 4 - 6, it all seems fantastic. 1 - 3 just seem to have people going off all over the place for no real reason other than to have lots of places to show on the screen. I've even heard someone attached to the prequels describe how awesome they would be because there was so much happening on screen in every shot. The aim was as bad as Greedo's must have been to miss Han!!

Here's something interesting you might not realize. Without watching them, you can listen to almost all of the original Star Trek episodes and follow the entire story and even have a good idea of what people are doing on screen. A scene here or there might not workThere are loooong periods of "I have no clue" in episodes 4 - 6 but, for the most part, you can figure it out and it's great! Episodes 1 - 3 are impossible to follow without someone telling you what's happening.

I can't say that visual storytelling is bad. Anyone who enjoys The Pink Panther or Road Runner cartoons knows that I'd be wrong if I tried... but I think the story in Star Wars movies should have a little more substance to them.

HappyDaze, Liloki and Sturn like this

I just hope for a good story. I'll admit that I'm biased in that visuals, camera angle, etc. won't affect me at all. But when you try to tell the stories of Episodes 4 - 6, it all seems fantastic. 1 - 3 just seem to have people going off all over the place for no real reason other than to have lots of places to show on the screen. I've even heard someone attached to the prequels describe how awesome they would be because there was so much happening on screen in every shot. The aim was as bad as Greedo's must have been to miss Han!!

Here's something interesting you might not realize. Without watching them, you can listen to almost all of the original Star Trek episodes and follow the entire story and even have a good idea of what people are doing on screen. A scene here or there might not workThere are loooong periods of "I have no clue" in episodes 4 - 6 but, for the most part, you can figure it out and it's great! Episodes 1 - 3 are impossible to follow without someone telling you what's happening.

I can't say that visual storytelling is bad. Anyone who enjoys The Pink Panther or Road Runner cartoons knows that I'd be wrong if I tried... but I think the story in Star Wars movies should have a little more substance to them.

I agree on story.  I don't think there needs to be any concern for technical visuals, Hollywood has that down pretty well and JJ's decision to use film, sets, and models much more often will only enhance that I think.  I also think he is perfectly capable of actually getting actors to act as opposed to read lines badly like the did in the prequels.  So it really boils down to a good story premise and good pacing in the film.  We shall see.

I trust JJ Abrams and his team to craft a decent story and get the pacing right. Compared to the prequel trilogy, even an average effort from him would look great by comparison. Since he has a love of the original trilogy it's likely we'll get a well above average effort from him.

I actually don't have much of a problem with the prequels, story-wise. In broad strokes, they're exactly what they were supposed to be. The problem was in Lucas' direction (or non-direction), and the fact that no one at LFL was going to stand up and tell him when he was making a misstep. 

As concerns the Sequel Trilogy, a lot of people are painting Disney as the bad guys. But I'm kind of relieved that they're overseeing this - it means that the director (Abrams in this case) is going to have to work to make the movie good, or Disney won't stand for it. The problem with the prequels was that Lucas only had himself to answer to... but that won't be a problem here. People are scared of the 'Disneyfication' of Star Wars, but that's paranoia; Disney have no ambition to make SW a 'Disney' film... they just want to own it, and reap the rewards of a good product.

Given what happened last time George Lucas decided to go for the kiddies

As if it ever was meant for "adults" in the first place... Come on. I was a Star Wars nut before I turned ten.... Many years before the prequels came out.

Yeah, I was about to say - from day one the series has always been a big budget Flash Gordon written for kids who didn't have a Republic Serial of their own. It's just that when the franchise didn't grow up with them, they became annoyed. The slapstick has always been there, the stupid humor has always been there - we're just adult enough now to notice it.

I disagree. Episodes 4 and 5 had very little by way of slapstick, and 6's was nowhere near the level of obnoxiousness as we had with Jar-Jar. The Ewoks weren't stupid--they were primitive...and cute. Jar-Jar was stupid, could do nothing right, and every contribution he made was through bumbling, stupid luck.

And the original trilogy didn't have the piss-poor acting and dialogue that we got from Hayden Christiansen and Natalie Portman. So. Bad.

Honorable shoutout to Star Wars for showing up in The Lego Movie!

I picked up all the Star Wars Lego movies a little while back. Cheesy fun!

I hate that video.

"Rule #1. Star Wars takes place in the frontier"

No, it doesn't have to be. Cloud City was populated. The Death Star was populated. sh*tty rule, as a Star Wars story is perfectly capable of being good if it doesn't take place on the frontier.

"2. The future has to look old"

No, it doesn't. Granted, some areas should look old, like Tatooine because of the living conditions there, but other areas like upper Coruscant should look new, because it provides contrast.

"3. No midichlorians"

Dumb rule, no matter how you feel about the midichlorians in E1, we all know there's no real reason to reference them again, and the rule feels like a waste of space. Actually, I'd love it if Abrams put midichlorians in to spite us. Luke would be checking the roster of his Jedi Academy, and then he'd say "nahh this kid's midichlorians are too low, oh but wow look at the MC on this kid!"

"4. No cute stuff"

Seems like this guy's heavily imposing his personal preference rather than trying to speak for the fans. We might hate jar jar, but plenty of kids love him. Besides, Lucas didn't know how to do cute stuff. The IP's in the hands of Disney now, and they are the most qualified to cute it up. How else are you going to sell all this merchandise to kids?

Here's MY rule to JJ Abrams:

- Don't break the laws of the lore.

What I'm saying has nothing to do with EU consistency. I'm talking about how Abrams breaks the lore in past movies: In Star Trek, Kahn can beam over to the Klingon homeworld, from Earth without even using a ship. That breaks the lore, as pretty much nobody needs to use spaceships anymore. Kirk was revived from death using tribbles. From now on, if anyone dies and isn't obliterated, they better get tribbled.

Star Wars has the Death Star. It destroys planets, and it's huge. That's not broken. Life doesn't change. You live in fear of the Empire, but you can still blow the Death Star up. A spaceship less method of galactic travel that you can find on the black market? That's broken.

If Abrams was not on a tight leash by Lucasfilm, I bet he'd do something like this:

-Midichlorian injection. The sith try to expand their influence by injecting regular joes with the force from dead Jedi.

-Obi-wan actually becomes powerful. He starts to actually interact with the environment in a corporeal way. Why not just revive him while we're at it... I wonder if I'd be okay with Obi-wan if he started to control a droid.

-A ship full of jedi emerges after being lost in hyperspace (sounds a bit like Star Trek 2)

Now if Luke found the recipe Darth Plageius had, that'd be fun, going around resurrecting people and becoming dark for it. I was never convinced in all of Star Wars that Luke was ever under the threat of becoming Sith, and if Luke's going to be in 7, I'd imagine it's his only real weakness in character. Or, no Luke.

Edited by hencook

I don't know if you would consider it the same thing, but I think the tech needs to look well used. The Empire is more recent, so its equipment and vehicles all should be a little more shinier. The rest of the galaxy, though, has been using and reusing their tech. It should have a worn look to it all. Some of these things have been around for hundreds, if not thousands, of years.