Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Glowwyrm

SPOILERS!!! Voice of Isengard Player Cards

40 posts in this topic

There is not a single unique ally. Does this mean that that awesome art in the top right corner of the description page is just some objective? :(

Saruman is a unique ally.

BTW, Silver Lamp sounds SUPER-OP.  As stated, I think it's an auto-include.  The only limiter is that usually spirit heroes are expected to quest, especially early in the game.  But that's not a problem a few turns in, and there are other ways to ready or prevent exhausting (especially in spirit sphere!).  Besides, you can save your spirit heroes for combat and still get full use of this card.  Just WOW.  

Was spirit weak enough to warrant this card?  I didn't think so.  

Shadow cards represented the unpredictable nature of combat - the die rolls in other games.  This is what keeps the tension up and forces hard decisions before they get flipped.  Even without preventing effects, the lamp destroys all that tension and literally changes the nature of the game, shifting it towards a more deterministic model.  I'm very nervous about this.  Am I wrong to be?

I don't think Silver Lamp is OP. First of all it costs 2 so you'll have to choose between this or an ally in the first round. It requires that the hero not do anything which is a serious penalty in the early rounds, especially if you're not putting out an ally. Also it only affects enemies engaged with you. In a multiplayer game, this does nothing to help the tactics player who is probably getting most of the enemies anyways. Basically I see Silver Lamp as a tool that helps control the late game. The early game will still be as dangerous as ever. It's a fantastic card, but not all OP.  Dain still wears the crown of OP cards.

There is not a single unique ally. Does this mean that that awesome art in the top right corner of the description page is just some objective?  :(

Saruman is a unique ally.

That is true. But I wanted to say one thing. 

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_npm_sec.asp?eidm=210&esem=1&epmi=s

Who is that awesome art elf in the top right corner? And how about that blue-eyed elf in hood who disappeared? Are they in VoI box? Are they only objectives? That would be quite disappointing.

Some say that Spirit really got the short end of the Against the Shadow cycle.

These cards look really good and it's obvious they were carefully designed to work well with the existing Rohan cards. It's nice to see the designers trying to make some of the older seldom played cards more useful (ex. "A Light in the Dark"). I do wish, however, that they included something for Theoden to make him more useful. I think this was a missed opportunity to make the King of Rohan a little more kingly. I think it's very telling that the latest second breakfast deck doesn't even use Theoden and it's supposed to be the premier Rohan deck.

Note that the Westfold Horse Breeder will fetch Asfaloth, a powerful effect in a Glorfindel deck making it a definite auto-include for that deck.

I mitigate shadow cards the old fashioned way - with Burning Brand.  But for Spirit I think it's a great card.

And while I do think Spirit didn't get much during the AtS cycle, it had a huge head start and is still ahead.

Tracker1 and chuckles like this

Some say that Spirit really got the short end of the Against the Shadow cycle.

Perhaps, but I'm not convinced that this sort of drastic approach is warranted.  To reiterate my point, it fundamentally changes the mechanics of the game.  Burning Brand did this as well because it meant shadow cards were completely irrelevant on some enemies.  The uncertainty of shadow effects (and encounter deck staging) is what prevents players from planning out their victories many rounds in advance.  Burning Brand can actually "break" the game to this extent much of the time.  I'm afraid that Silver Lamp will similarly allow players to plan out their victory by eliminating the unknown which leads to anticlimactic games, in my experience.

I love the effect and I get excited about strong, general use cards, but I'd think it would warrant additional conditions or limits. For example, I'd pay 4 resources for this effect.  Or maybe it must be discarded if the attached character exhausts?  I'm worried that to counter this, we'll see some steep encounter deck power creep, which will exacerbate the balance between the current card pool and earlier scenarios.

Anyway, that's my $0.02.

The lamp doesn't help much in any situation in which the enemy will get extra shadow cards - or, as someone noted above, sometimes it'll just let you know that you're going to get a pasting. It is pretty tasty though.

That said, maybe this cycle will also have more attachment hate. We haven't seen much of that since Heirs.

Lamp is good for allowing undefended attacks. No sudden "Shadow: +1 ATK, discard your entire friggin table from the roof if undefended" effects.

Indeed! Seems to me that Hobbit decks in particular will like the Lamp, since it could allow very low attack enemies to slip through for 1 HP undefended. Usually with Hobbits this is too risky.

Lamp is good for allowing undefended attacks. No sudden "Shadow: +1 ATK, discard your entire friggin table from the roof if undefended" effects.

this is exactly what I thought as well, basically a much better version of Dark Knowledge which is a card that is really underrated imo. Still Lamp is just better in every single way. I would suggest that Lamp is in fact a redesign of Dark Knowledge.

Edited by booored

It's a fantastic card for characters like Eleanor, who in any case tend to be left uncommitted to the quest just in case, but otherwise serve a limited function unless a treachery comes up. What I want to know is whether the Lamp only attaches to Spirit heroes, or to any hero with the icon (so those with Songs of Travel/Narvi's Belt etc.).

chuckles likes this

It's a fantastic card for characters like Eleanor, who in any case tend to be left uncommitted to the quest just in case, but otherwise serve a limited function unless a treachery comes up. What I want to know is whether the Lamp only attaches to Spirit heroes, or to any hero with the icon (so those with Songs of Travel/Narvi's Belt etc.).

It also looks particularly good on Glorfindel with Light of Valinor (as if he needed any more support) - typically you want to quest with him and then attack later, so Silver Lamp is perfect for him.

It also looks particularly good on Glorfindel with Light of Valinor (as if he needed any more support) - typically you want to quest with him and then attack later, so Silver Lamp is perfect for him.

I agree... its hard to leave him out of decks when they keep creating new cards that work so well with him, such as Lay of Nimrodel & now Silver Lamp... I wonder how well he would go as the single hero in a solo deck... (probably be too reliant on getting the right combination of cards early on)

Edited by chuckles