Sign in to follow this  
wackydave

Are you "rebel scum" or the "galactic empire" OR Both?

Howdy all you wonderful X-Wing players out there. I hope you are winning your games and enjoying the game as well as all the speculation about wave-4 and the rebel transport... :D

HOWEVER, I have a question for all of you.  It is kind of a roll call of sorts but not for record keeping, but a logical step in my thought process....... HOW MANY, OR WHO if any flys just one faction? and only buys just the faction they are flying??? 

My reason asking this is because I fly BOTH factions and split up my gaming time flying both sides. Am I flawed with this concept? would i win more by just devoting myself to one faction and only flying that faction? I lose A LOT !!!!! not that that really bothers me  :rolleyes:  I love this game and love playing this game. However, I wanted an opinion from my fellow x-wingers on their game play in general and if they think that dedicating one's self to one side or the other helps them or hampers their play. MY general logic is that if i play both sides i get used to flying both sides, and have a better insight when i play as to what my opponent might do.. This really has not helped me  much in the sense that it is VERY hard for me to figure out how my opponent will move. so I just think of what i would do if flying his ships. I know in other minature games most people play only one faction. and invest only in that faction. and if they then decide to switch factions they have to essentially "start over" . I on the other hand have invested in both sides from the start. and will continue to do so. ( one of the reasons i love this game is only two factions. the "good guys" and the "bad guys" how ever you might define them for yourselves.) but besides the money drain for doing this is there ANY reason to fly just one faction at all? any advantages? cons? And Lastly :blink: ( i Know I am toooo long winded :D ) I do plan on making a couple of tournament fleets just for the tournaments and practicing with them as to be able to fly them perfectly. Happy flying folks and as always.......MAY THE SCHWARTZ  BE WITH YOU!!!

well the blaster is neither good nor bad  ;)  it is the intetions of the weilder which is good or evil and that is in the perspectives of the person behind the blaster and the one in front of the blaster LMAO!!!! :P

I buy both... I favor the Empire, but play whatever needs playing, the kids I just got into the game, one likes imperial forces so I've played rebels a little more these days. I'm flexible, but have Imperial loyalties ingrained... ok I love the ships, the imperial ships are just cooler.. lol

I have a large collection of both. That said, I primarily fly Empire. Though that's not 'brand loyalty' so much as they have the best shuttles.

That may well change with the Rebel Transport. Expect to see me experimenting heavily with that craft. :D

The fact that it can apparently kill things by running into them is hugely exciting to me. I might run 3 in a 100 point fleet with minimal upgrades and go Kamikaze.

I have a large collection of both. That said, I primarily fly Empire. Though that's not 'brand loyalty' so much as they have the best shuttles.

That may well change with the Rebel Transport. Expect to see me experimenting heavily with that craft. :D

The fact that it can apparently kill things by running into them is hugely exciting to me. I might run 3 in a 100 point fleet with minimal upgrades and go Kamikaze.

I've been thinking the same thing. :D

I prefer to fight for the Alliance, but because I'm the "game master" in my little group of players, I tend to take on the role of the evil Empire. So while I would like to be a crack shot with X-Wings, I'm actually pretty deadly with Interceptors. Oh well.

I prefer Empire but I lose more with them. I guess since Imperials tend to be a little less forgiving and I'm not the best at maneuvering. But the game is small enough currently to buy for both sides and not have to dedicate to only one faction. Plus the game is just too fun for me to limit myself to one side. :)

I imagine that the players of other miniature games tend to stick with one or two factions isn't just because of the money sink, but the time as well. Since they have to paint them and all...

Anyway I like to fly strictly Imperials. None of this rebel scum for me.

I think you can only have one in a game though.

I buy both... I favor the Empire, but play whatever needs playing, the kids I just got into the game, one likes imperial forces so I've played rebels a little more these days. I'm flexible, but have Imperial loyalties ingrained... ok I love the ships, the imperial ships are just cooler.. lol

You played TIE Fighter growing up, didn't you….

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes."

As a result, I am the bad guys. Makes it easy when my wife likes the rebels.

HOWEVER... the second they make an "Official" Pirate/Gangster/Crime Faction, I am all over that. 

Part of what makes me soooo excited for Wave 4 is the possibility of running a decent squad of red and black painted Z-95's, with the HWK-90 and Boba Fett. 

Edited by Hoosteen

I like them both, I have more imperial ships, but that is sort of required. I have a slight preference for flying the x- and y-wings. They made a big impression on me at a young age. That said, I like the ties too. As long as I getto play I will happily play either side.

Since I'm the one buying the ships and introducing to game to my firends, I let my opponent chose his faction. Oddly enough, almost all of them prefer to take the rebels over the empire, so I play a lot more with them. Maybe it's for the same reason as DagobahDave: since I'm always the game master, counsul, bad guy in every RPGs and boardgames we play, they tend to see me as an Imperial player.

Which is fine by me. I have so many fond memories of flying and customizing a Tie Interceptor in SWG that I think I've actually fallen to the dark side. So maybe unconsciously I suggest my friends to take the rebel side: it's so much fun to be the good guy, no?

I play both sides happily.  The usual way we have of choosing is to place a movement dial for each side in a hand and then the other picks a hand, and then we choose our repesctive forces.  Makes for a great random matchup.