Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jegergryte

Star Wars: Rebels

86 posts in this topic

Story-wise, sounds great.  I have to admit, I'm not much of a fan of the artistic style, it's a little too Disney/comic book.  I really grew to like TCW, I thought the style was unique.  SWR looks like something I've seen too much of before.

Jegergryte likes this

I love the style... especially since it is inspired by McQuarrie.

If you go too realistic with the CG it takes a trip to the uncanny valley.

Not a whole lot new for me, except for the thieving. I guess Ezra steals the ship and holocron and draws the ire of the inquisitor, and gets helped out by the crew of the Ghost.

Story-wise, sounds great.  I have to admit, I'm not much of a fan of the artistic style, it's a little too Disney/comic book.  I really grew to like TCW, I thought the style was unique.  SWR looks like something I've seen too much of before.

I'm a big fan of the art style on Clone Wars. I liked how everything seemed to have a painted texture, it made it feel very organic in spite of being animated with computers.

Rebels definitely looks different, but I have mad respect for the artists involved so I'm looking forward to it.

Grimmshade and jburgos like this

The animation doesn't really affect me one way or another, except for anime. Not a fan of most of it. Cut my teeth on Heavy Metal and 70s saturday morning cartoons so I probably have a preference for American animation more often than not. From what I've seen so far the new serieslooks good.

Inquisitor Tremayne likes this

Don't get me wrong. I like the Jedi / Sith stories as much as the next fan, but there are trillions of 'mundanes' that have stories and that is what I was hoping to see more of. The Rebels, the ordinary folk that stood up against the 'all powerful' Empire. The millions that died for the idea of freedom need to have their stories told too. 

Either way, I just wish the dang thing would air, so I can get my nerd on.

Jegergryte and Raistlinrox like this

Bummer...

I am of the camp "No Jedi" please.  Won't stop me from watching, but I really wanted to see normal folk with the occasional force user.

yeah, same.  In fact, having a force using Sith Inquisitor as a villain seems a bit much.  We don't need another Asaj Ventress or Savage Opress.  Give us a smart and ruthless moff or Imperial Agent or something.

Tarkin may pop in here and there...he did in TCW.  I know at this point he's busy building his Death Star and all that, but he might have a cameo every now and then.  It was cool when he showed up in TCW.

Jegergryte likes this

While I can appreciate that some people would prefer a series more focused on "muggles", I also realize that a majority of fans want or need to see Jedi. And lets face it, Jedi sell. They could probably do a very good series around the "muggles", but I doubt it would be as popular. At the end of the day they want something that will appeal to a broad audience, otherwise the series will, in all likelihood, get pulled. And I'm sure no fans want that.

While I can appreciate that some people would prefer a series more focused on "muggles", I also realize that a majority of fans want or need to see Jedi. And lets face it, Jedi sell. They could probably do a very good series around the "muggles", but I doubt it would be as popular. At the end of the day they want something that will appeal to a broad audience, otherwise the series will, in all likelihood, get pulled. And I'm sure no fans want that.

That was always my worry with the now-abandoned, 'Sopranos-esque' live action series they were working on before the Disney sale. A Star Wars story needs at least some of that mystical, heroic element to be Star Wars... you can only watch so many people get thrown into rancor pits.  :P

I don't mind some Jedi, Sith, or Dark Siders. I'm just worried it will turn out like the latter seasons of The Clone Wars where IMO in later seasons the series seemed to become more about the Jedi than the namesake conflict, They could have done great stories focused on the actions of Jedi during the war, and they did do that some but they also gave us things like the Force Ghost Arc, the character butchery of the last arc, and the return of Darth Maul plus tying Maul and Dathomir together which I feel added nothing to the story and made no sense. I still have trouble understanding why they did a five season series focused on the Clone Wars but never thought to so us the development of The Kenobi Offensive, or at least a use of it., Especially after they used the Marg Sabl Closure maneuver from Heir to the Empire in Storm over Ryloth.  

So according to some Toyfair images, it can be confirmed that Ezra's going to become a Jedi (or at least get a lightsaber of his own) and there's a female Mandalorian by the name of Sabine that's one of the good guys.

http://www.newsarama.com/20334-new-star-wars-rebels-characters-details-revealed-at-toy-fair-2014.html

http://www.starwarsunderworld.com/2014/02/breaking-female-in-mandalorian-armor.html

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02/16/hasbro-reveals-new-star-wars-rebels-characters

Dex Vulen likes this

Sabine looks pretty young. It's entirely possible she could be Bo-Katan's daughter and thus niece to the late Satine Kryze, and perhaps named in honor of her.

So according to some Toyfair images, it can be confirmed that Ezra's going to become a Jedi (or at least get a lightsaber of his own) and there's a female Mandalorian by the name of Sabine that's one of the good guys.

http://www.newsarama.com/20334-new-star-wars-rebels-characters-details-revealed-at-toy-fair-2014.html

http://www.starwarsunderworld.com/2014/02/breaking-female-in-mandalorian-armor.html

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02/16/hasbro-reveals-new-star-wars-rebels-characters

Wasn't Sabine the chick from Mandalore that Obi-Wan was sweet on in the Clone Wars?

Im kinda sad they didn't change it. But, I don't have the nostalgia for weg Star Wars, and think it should disappear along with the d20 version, erased from the collective consciousness.

Just so you know, you are now my mortal enemy and I shall devote every moment of my existence from this point on to hunting you down and destroying you utterly. But until that long and terrible night comes, sleep well. . . .

Im kinda sad they didn't change it. But, I don't have the nostalgia for weg Star Wars, and think it should disappear along with the d20 version, erased from the collective consciousness.

I'd like to give you 1/2 a Like  :)  I've found some great resources in WEG (Stock Freighters, Pirates and Privateers), but for the most part their universe is so narrow and monolithic it's tedious to wade through.  TCW gives a much better picture of galactic life.

strongarm85 likes this

Interesting! Considering WEG barely sketched the species, what would be gained by renaming them a 'Glaxnorz', or something? On that note, would you prefer that Greedo was actually a 'Shmerkalerk'?

That sounds snide, but I don't mean it that way. I'm honestly curious!