Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jegergryte

Star Wars: Rebels

86 posts in this topic

Yoda's conversation with Obi Wan and the whole "there is another" and then telling Luke "there's another skywalker" never made sense and now there is definitely wiggle room there.

Personally, I always took Yoda's words of "last of the Jedi, will you be" to be less a statement of fact and more a way of telling Luke that he can't pass the buck on confronting Vader and saving the galaxy from the Emperor/Sith.  It's Luke's destiny to save the galaxy, and he's got to step up to the plate rather than hope that somebody else will do the job for him.

Even prior to this announcement, there'd been a number of Jedi survivors of the purge, though most of them had set aside their lightsabers and weren't actively being Jedi at that point.  So what Yoda said was true, from a certain point of view ;)

kaosoe and Raistlinrox like this

Bummer...

I am of the camp "No Jedi" please.  Won't stop me from watching, but I really wanted to see normal folk with the occasional force user.

I too would rather not have seen a focal character as a Jedi, even a non-practicing Jedi. An untrained Force Sensitive on the run from an Inquisitor and not knowing why he's being chased would have been OK.

Dex Vulen, segara82 and kaosoe like this

I suspect that this show will be a shining example of what force and destiny characters will be like.

Fingers crossed!

I hope so, I mean this Kanan dude could also easily be a variant FSE really - except for the Lightsaber skill issue. I get a feel for EotE when seeing the images, more so than AoR - and who knows about F&D... I hope :)

kaosoe likes this

Folks this is Disney.  Cheap predictable plots to sell merchandise.

Likely our failed jedi is going to open the episode learn something from his holocron, and later in the finale uses his new trick to save the day, and leave his companions in awe.

Yea I am a pessimist, but i have learned in my old age not to get my hopes up.

Maelora, NicoDavout, kaosoe and 1 other like this

Folks this is Disney.  Cheap predictable plots to sell merchandise.

Likely our failed jedi is going to open the episode learn something from his holocron, and later in the finale uses his new trick to save the day, and leave his companions in awe.

So true..........long live Thrawn! 

Folks this is Disney. Cheap predictable plots to sell merchandise.

On the first point: this show, much like star wars has always been, is a pulpy action story. I know I'm not expecting Hamlet or the Scottish play, though there are some disney shows that haven dark and elaborate plots - check out the first few seasons of gargoyles (a disney property).

Secondly, how is he a failed Jedi? The character survived the purge, living at least 14 years in hiding, yet still kept his lightsaber.

We haven't seen the show yet, so I am hopeful. The only info I have read states that the character Ezra Bridger learns of his being force sensitive through the holocron. That is it.

I can't change your mind, and I guess my being hopeful will balance out your curmudgeoness. :P

Edited by That Blasted Samophlange
jerrypocalypse, kaosoe and whafrog like this

Everything is cheap predictable plots these days. It is in how you present those cheap predictable plots that seperates you from everyone else. And as noted, Kanan is no more a failed Jedi than Obi Wan would be.

Wait... referencing Obi-wan, I can't tell which way you're leaning towards the failure thing... I mean look at Anakin and his teacher. :P

I really don't understand the auto-expectation for Disney to disrespect the franchise.

First off, Disney has made the best superhero movies to date with the Avengers/Marvel franchise, and the TV show as well. They also had some of the best television cartoon runs back in the 90's.

Second, Lucas made some of the biggest pieces of crap ever with episodes I, II, III and "Indiana Jones and the Big Piece of Alien Crap", so the bar isn't really set high now anyway.

I'm perfectly happy to see what Disney does with Star Wars.

As far as this series goes, it's got Greg Weissman (he of Gargoyles, Spectacular Spider-Man, and Young Justice animated series legacy).  If you've watched those shows, you know that he's fully capable of producing a series that isn't cheap or lowbrow; Gargoyles was part of Disney's Afternoon Animation block, and how many cartoons make frequent (and accurate) references to Shakespeare or manage to create a truly connected mythos ("all myths are true, but not all myths are fact" was a line from the series at one point in regards to various mythological beings that Goliath and Elisa encountered during their world tour).

Sadly however, it seems that shows that Greg's involved in rarely make it past two seasons.  Gargoyles had a third season, but he wasn't really involved at that point and many fans consider it not be part of the Gargoyles continuity due to how bad it got.  Spectacular Spider-Man got canned when Disney purchased Marvel Studios, as Sony gave up TV rights to retain the much more lucrative movie rights to the character.  Young Justice got axed to make way for Teen Titans Go (a dumbed-down version of the prior Teen Titans series).  Hopefully Rebels will avert this and last more than two seasons, particularly if it can deliver the level of quality that many of Greg's prior works have demonstrated.

Bummer...

I am of the camp "No Jedi" please.  Won't stop me from watching, but I really wanted to see normal folk with the occasional force user.

yeah, same.  In fact, having a force using Sith Inquisitor as a villain seems a bit much.  We don't need another Asaj Ventress or Savage Opress.  Give us a smart and ruthless moff or Imperial Agent or something.

Bummer...

yeah, same.  In fact, having a force using Sith Inquisitor as a villain seems a bit much.  We don't need another Asaj Ventress or Savage Opress.  Give us a smart and ruthless moff or Imperial Agent or something.

I was kind of bummed out about this too. A story about the beginnings of the Rebellion would be the perfect opportunity to showcase some non-force using villains and heroes.

ObiWanBilbo likes this

There is still a chance we will see an evil Moff or non force using character. The fact is, the info we get are effectively spoilers. We don't know when Kanan will reveal he was a Jedi. If it was at the end of the first season, and we had none of this info people might be put off with the lack of Jedi.

There is still a chance we will see an evil Moff or non force using character.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the 'new, improved' Admiral Yularen make an appearance. How neat it would be to compare him with his prior (TCW) self...

Edited by I. J. Thompson

I'm glad.  For me it's ultimately what it's all about that.  It's what adds the spiritual element, the moral peril, and (hopefully) gravitas to the story.  Otherwise it really is just cowboys in space, which is fine for a while, but gets old.  I'm not saying all the tales have to have Jedi...several good TCW story arcs put them in the background.

The other reason I'm glad is because it makes the SW universe more open and less monolithic.  We could all watch the OT and ponder:  the galaxy is so vast, surely not all the Jedi were eliminated, but Yoda said this, and Obiwan said that, and the Emperor is so powerful, etc etc...

Well now we know that Yoda missed a few things right up to his end, and the Emperor had his own blind spots, and the more important message is the galaxy is so big with so many different beings that nobody could control all that to the extent implied in the OT.

Mind you, neither of my EotE campaigns has a force user yet, and I'll never get to be a player in this game, so maybe I'm just having withdrawal symptoms :)

kaosoe and Jegergryte like this

The Force is not all-powerful infallible. The OT was nothing more than a snapshot. Neither Yoda or Obi-Wan could know all or be omniscient. Not only that, but when the movies were made no one had any idea it would expand to what it is now. So some retconning will be done. Not all the Jedi were killed. So we will see stories about them. I love the originals as much as anyone else, but I am not so beholden to them that I can not appreciate new stories even when they conflict with some lines from said movies. Waste of energy.

kaosoe and jerrypocalypse like this

I can't speak on the opinions of others, but for me it's not so much about the fact there are other Jedi that exist in the time period. It's more that I just have an interest in the stories about the fringers, criminals, freedom fighters, etc. I enjoy that aspect of Star Wars just as much as I enjoy all the other aspects. However, the trend (especially lately) tends to be to do stories about Jedi or other Force using characters. Those stories are fine, and I honestly enjoy them. I would just like to see more about the other parts of the universe. That's a big part of why I find EotE so enjoyable and why I'm sure I'll enjoy Rebels.

I may be put off a little by the Inquisitor antagonist, but I have no doubt that the show will be closer to my prefered aspects of Star Wars than a lot of recent material has been. If that means I have to put up with a couple Force using character, I'm willing to tough it out. I'm eager to see where the show goes.

Dex Vulen likes this

The Force and Jedi are to be expected as it is Star Wars. But how much they play a part remains to be seen. I like the concept of a lapsed Jedi who seems to be more of a Han Solo figure at this point. Will he evolve? Probably. Hopefully not too quickly. I want to see him falling back on old blaster habits just as much as he relearns even older Jedi habits. We're only getting bits and pieces right now.

And I like the Inquisitor idea. A lesser version of Darth Vader. Still leaves room for other characters too as he does have command of a Star Destroyer, if I am remembering correctly.

I can get behind the idea of a lapsed Jedi that's more of a Han Solo type character. It's one of the reasons why I enjoyed the Dark Times comics and really like the character of Dass Jennir. I'm right there with you hoping he doesn't evolve too quickly. I certainly wouldn't mind if his lightsaber continues gathering dust for a bit while he relies on his other skills he's picked up while hiding from the Empire.

You know, now that you mention that the Inquisitor might be in command of a Star Destroyer, I think it would make for some interesting conflict if the Captain of the ship was at odds with the Inquisitor and was trying to prove him/herself to make the jump to Admiral.

I appreciate that Rebels is trying to give viewers a rogue samurai/pirate-with-a-heart-of-gold/cool guy protagonist. And I'm okay with him being a washed-out Jedi. After five (soon to be six) years of laser sword duels in The Clone Wars, it would be very tough act to direct a visually dynamic and emotionally personal fight using blasters.

The noble swashbuckler motif is key to a holistic Star Wars experience. Space cowboy truckers and space soldiers are definitely cool but Firefly and Starship Troopers (and about a dozen other recent films) already have those niches locked. SW is one of the few ongoing franchises where you can still get that pulpy Flash Gordon-esque thrill.

Doc likes this