Sign in to follow this  
Jegergryte

Star Wars: Rebels

Movies: Episodes 1-6 with 7-9 upcoming.

The Clone Wars

Rebels

A New Dawn

Every new book or show.

Also add to the list, any unproduced/unfinished Clone Wars episodes which would have constitued the remainder of Season 6, and Seasons 7 through 8 (the planned final season which led in RoTS).  Lucasfilm plans to release these stories in the coming years through alternate means.  You can watch an unfinished (pre-viz) 4 part Obi-Wan/Anakin arc that takes place on Utapau on starwars.com.  There's also a Ventress novel featuring Quinlan Vos coming next year.

Lucasfilm also clarified that the novelizations also fall into official canon where they do not conflict with onscreen events... so RoTJ novelization IS canon, but Ob-Wan's revelation in the book that he is Owen Lars brother is not.

Allegedly from this point forward all comics and books will fall under the official canon, andything that does not will have the Legends lojo.

Yancy

Edited by Gallandro

Compnor is canon!/?

EDIT: And here's a link to the rest of the holonet news stuff. I don't actually know if it's legit, but it seems so... I mean, I want to believe that it is :ph34r:

Yes the Holonet news site is official.

Also Compnor is mentioned in the Rebels Visual Guide, so yep - Canon it is!  

Personally I'm holding out for official mention of CorSec, and a good look at Corellia itself which I don't believe we've seen in anything outside of games,

Are the radio plays still canon? I seem to recall that it went: Movie > Novelizations > NPR Radio Shows as far as canon hierarchy.

Probably not, as I think even the novelizations are placed in the Legends category at this point in time.

Not quite mate, the novelisations are canon EXCEPT where they contradict what's on screen. So Ben and Owen being brothers - not canon. Palpatine presenting the audio of the attack on his office "from a certain point of view" probably canon. We didn't see it on screen, but it's not contradicted and certainly fits his modus operandi. 

The radio plays, awesome as they are, I don't think have been mentioned in the new era of canon, so they probably remain Legends.

On that point, I'm guessing the FFG Star Wars line is entirely Legends, even without the logo. There's just way too much that contradicts what we know as official canon now.

And Luceno's Plagueis will forever be canon to me :)

On that point, I'm guessing the FFG Star Wars line is entirely Legends, even without the logo. There's just way too much that contradicts what we know as official canon now.

Not surprising, as I imagine even the contents of Fightsaber (and therefore the entire basis of the seven forms concept, though I blame KOTOR for the consular/guardian/sentinel triumverate) are now Legends...

In any case, my understanding though is that Legends stuff isn't directly non-canon until one of the new canon sources directly contradicts it -- so Plagueis isn't necessarily non-canon until a Disney-sanctioned author covers the pre-prequels-to-Episode I period! But so far Disney's strictly adhered to the inter-trilogy (A New DawnLords of the SithRebels) or intra-trilogy (Luke's first-person POV book) with the exception of the upcoming Tarkin...

What I like is how not smooth the integration is. Ezra is competition initially and throughout most of the episode... a typical dealing with a rogue in a new party. I find it inspiring to make parties that deliberately not gel because of secrets and grudges. I say secrets, because of such things as a character having a secret crush on another. I could see them running that way with Ezra and Sabine.

Garrett

Not surprising, as I imagine even the contents of Fightsaber (and therefore the entire basis of the seven forms concept, though I blame KOTOR for the consular/guardian/sentinel triumverate) are now Legends...

In any case, my understanding though is that Legends stuff isn't directly non-canon until one of the new canon sources directly contradicts it -- so Plagueis isn't necessarily non-canon until a Disney-sanctioned author covers the pre-prequels-to-Episode I period! But so far Disney's strictly adhered to the inter-trilogy (A New Dawn, Lords of the Sith, Rebels) or intra-trilogy (Luke's first-person POV book) with the exception of the upcoming Tarkin...

I don't think that's exactly how it works. They've said that the legends stuff can "be mined" by future authors. It's pretty well accepted that everything post ROTJ never happened for example. But just because Jaden Korr (for example) doesn't get explicitly negated on-screen doesn't mean he's actually knocking around out there.

Regardless though, how you state things is how I'm running my game, and I'm drawing pretty heavily on legends sources to do so. But I've said to the players I want to keep things in-line with canon as far as is possible, so Ryloth is no longer tidal-locked for example. Most of the time it's not an issue.

I also think that pre-ANH stuff is much more likely to work as you say.

Now I'm past the grieving process ;) it's actually pretty interesting finding out what's canon and what isn't. And barring some occasional idiocy (Alderaan Cruiser, sigh) it all feels fresh again.

EDIT -

Boom! As if by magic, there's an interesting interview with James Luceno regarding his upcoming Tarkin novel. Touches on a few of the points we've been discussing here.

Edited by MrDodger

Just watched it, I thought it was great for a first episode. First thing though Im 43 years old I grew up on the OT and the EU, I don't hate the prequels but I was very disappointed in many ways with them.

The first thing that struck me was "this feels like the Star Wars I loved growing up" Immediately my senses were assaulted with the familiar sounds of Williams original score, the roar of Tie Fighters, the clanking of imperial walkers, and other various sound effects that seemed like they were taken directly from the OT accompanied with familiar sights of classic stormtrooper armor and imperial uniforms oh, and right off the bat, an imperial Star Destroyer looming down menacingly at the beginning not unlike the opening of episode IV "most impressive".

I'm not sure about the animation though, visually I found it lacking in some ways I can't quite put my finger on. The characters were pretty well done as far as the roles and acting goes, dialogue was good, I loved the "rare bald rookie bluff" LMAO! I'm sure thats going to end up at my game table sometime.

I think its a good start, I'll just have to wait and see, but I am quite optimistic.

Finally I watched the first two chapters... I LOVE IT! :D

I told this before to my player but, its like I have watched this TV my entire life. This is the main era we almost always played (some old rep, some new rep).

I love the focus of the story. I love the character presentation. I'm really moved with Rebels.

PS: The myth that Kessel was a nasty weird rock-asteroid is gone XD

Regarding "official canon" in short, THERE IS NONE!

Lucas destroyed any sense of "canon" when kept contradicted himself in "his" own movies and all the different "original visions" he has had in almost 40 years. He declared the Thrawn trilogy "canon" and then completely ignored it except for "Coruscant". I'm going to stop right here. I don't want to get sucked into this.

Canon to me is the OT and maybe the Thrawn trilogy everything else is EU in my book. Canon to you can be whatever, I really don't care. Its not my fault, nor yours that George bordered on schizophrenia with his original visions and what he said and didn't say about them, and destroyed the continuity of the SW universe while he made money hand over fist off us.

Anyone who sits at my SW game table is going to enjoy a midi-chlorian free environment. If my players walk into a cantina in Mos Eisely they will definitely see Han shooting first. I will decide whats canon for me you will decide whats canon for you.

Regarding "official canon" in short, THERE IS NONE!

Lucas destroyed any sense of "canon" when kept contradicted himself in "his" own movies and all the different "original visions" he has had in almost 40 years. He declared the Thrawn trilogy "canon" and then completely ignored it except for "Coruscant". I'm going to stop right here. I don't want to get sucked into this.

Canon to me is the OT and maybe the Thrawn trilogy everything else is EU in my book. Canon to you can be whatever, I really don't care. Its not my fault, nor yours that George bordered on schizophrenia with his original visions and what he said and didn't say about them, and destroyed the continuity of the SW universe while he made money hand over fist off us.

Anyone who sits at my SW game table is going to enjoy a midi-chlorian free environment. If my players walk into a cantina in Mos Eisely they will definitely see Han shooting first. I will decide whats canon for me you will decide whats canon for you.

You must do what you feel is right, of course.

First off, my wife, child, and myself liked the first episode. I also liked that they went with Ralph McQuarrie's style in the art.      But.

The scout trooper at first I thought looked great. It's a homage to Ralph and I think most of his art looked better then what we were left with in the movies. So what's my problem? Rebels has become canon so we must accept this scout trooper's armor as what was worn by scouts between the Clone Wars and Episode VI.

So we start with:

camo_arf.jpg

And end with this:

ImperialScoutTrooper.png

But this was in-between?

rebels11.jpg

So we are already facing some sort of explanation to explain the radical departure in the middle of the scout trooper armor series. Those really aren't stormtroopers but Imperial Army soldiers? A new corporation got ahold of the scout trooper armor license, designed something completely different, then after an "incident" lost the license again to the original makers? I suppose the big change is the helmet, so perhaps a different model was tried out during Rebels but they later went back to the original model.

Edited by Sturn