Sign in to follow this  
Jegergryte

Star Wars: Rebels

Like just about every action movie I've ever seen. Unless it is part of the plot, the main characters are rarely ever hit no matter how much lead or energy fills the air. Every bad guy and minion in the movies must go to the same school of shooting. It woukd be a movie short if they were actually portrayed as being as competant as they are meant to be.

So, something like this. . .. ?

Absolutely. One of the first scenes that came to mind. Although speaking of what is canon and such, watching that clip I never realized that anti-personal devices like the claymores could be used as such efficient demolition explosives. It always amazes me what is done for the sake of plot and what is considered entertaining.

I couldn't get past the preview screencap where every round in his belt of ammunition is clearly a blank. There's also some glaringly obvious obstruction in the barrel- presumably the blank adapter.

Now you can't unsee it either.

Like just about every action movie I've ever seen. Unless it is part of the plot, the main characters are rarely ever hit no matter how much lead or energy fills the air. Every bad guy and minion in the movies must go to the same school of shooting. It woukd be a movie short if they were actually portrayed as being as competant as they are meant to be.

Absolutely. One of the first scenes that came to mind. Although speaking of what is canon and such, watching that clip I never realized that anti-personal devices like the claymores could be used as such efficient demolition explosives. It always amazes me what is done for the sake of plot and what is considered entertaining.

I couldn't get past the preview screencap where every round in his belt of ammunition is clearly a blank. There's also some glaringly obvious obstruction in the barrel- presumably the blank adapter.

Oh no.. the part you can't unsee is the dummys standing in front fo the buildings right here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ix3EEipwRJk#t=65

80's Schwarzenegger is the best...

Oh no.. the part you can't unsee is the dummys standing in front fo the buildings right here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ix3EEipwRJk#t=65

80's Schwarzenegger is the best...

Or when he throws the grenade, timestamp 3:30, and you can see the flipping boards they use to throw the enemy soldiers into the air from the explosion.  :P

You know, if I'm watching 80's ah-nold (or 80's sly or 80's Chuck), I'm not really spending my time looking for production gaffs. . . .

(of course what I find fascinating is that Ah-nold puts all the equipment on, including his vest - and THEN puts camo paint on his arms and face. However later when he takes off the vest, he has camo paint on his huge pectoral muscles. Which means he must have taken all the equipment off again just to paint it on, as he was obviously planning to lose his shirt later.)

Edited by Desslok

I used to watch Commando so many times when I was a kid!

"I like you Solly. That's why I'm going to kill you last."

Sadly, Commando has one of the least convincing screen villains of all time. The dude who plays "Bennett", the bad guy, with his doughy physique and mesh shirt ... I'm not sure how they figured he was supposed to be a threat to Schwarzenegger...

Sadly, Commando has one of the least convincing screen villains of all time. The dude who plays "Bennett", the bad guy, with his doughy physique and mesh shirt ... I'm not sure how they figured he was supposed to be a threat to Schwarzenegger...

Probably because of this...

Vernon-Wells.jpg

The actor, Vernon Wells, played a psycho in The Road Warrior a couple years before hand.

does anyone think the VCX-100 "Ghost" is a little over powered? 

Dosal turret with linked laser cannons.

Front turret

Secret mini-fighter/shuttle in the rear with a turret and twin lasers.

Maneuverability similar to some fighters.  Tho at least it isn't fast enough to outrun TIE fighters.. that would be worse

**** you Disney, your already messing things up

Why are so many folks anti-Jedi?

Please understand that what was presented to us in A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi was not a true accounting of the entire universe.  There were thousands of force sensitives that escaped the Purge of Order 66.  The order was 100% explicit on killing all the "Generals" of the Clone Wars and anyone at the Jedi Temple and Academy.  Beyond that, the universe is filled with those in-tuned with the Force.  

I am also positive that a few Jedi Masters and Jedi Knights were on assignment elsewhere in the galaxy and did not have a regiment of Clone Troopers to command.  There were Jedi who were actually anti-Clone who would not even allow Clones in their ranks. Jedi like Rahm Kota who distrusted Clone that Palpatine provided and refused to have any serve under him.  His ranks were 100% natural born.  As such he survived Order 66.

With all these survivors, why is it so unconscionable to have Jedi be the focus of anything Star Wars?  The Jedi have been the protectors of the Republic and the Galaxy for many a millennium.  The style and flavor of Edge of the Empire just woud not cut the mustard on TV.  I love GMing it but it doesn't make for good TV.

To be honest, for me a lot of the reason stems from my previous experiences with Star Wars roleplaying.

I just found I loved roleplaying in the seedier side of the Galaxy, with gangsters and scoundrels and the underworld, more than I liked playing with Jedi.

As far as stories go, I feel Jedi characters should have Jedi stories. And unless the whole party is a Jedi, you're either separating them a lot or it just kinda feels weird. Hard to find that balance so it's not just the One Special Hero and their sidekicks.

That's just me though, my personal feelings about it.

Everything about the Jedi and the purge is being retconned for the stories that Disney is writing.

Obviously That means Vader didn't do very good at hunting down and killing every Jedi during the 18 years betwean RotS and ANH.  Now the Emporer has "inquisitors" instead of Just Vader.  Because Vader is too busy chasing down a Farmboy all over the Galaxy, trying to get his old lightsaber back :rolleyes:

Also it contradicts what Tarkin said

"The Jedi are extinct, their fire has gone out of the universe. You, my friend, are all that's left of their religion."

and also contradicts Yoda when he talks about another. Unless he is talking about Luke and Liea being the only ones POWERFUL enough in the force to defeat the Emporer or even Vader.  So yea.  you can be a psuedo Jedi, but you are never going to be more powerful then the Emporer, Luke, Vader, or even possibly Liea.

For those of us who grew up without The prequals, that was dogma.  and even the prequals support the idea that all the jedi were killed by either Vader, or order 66. except for Yoda and Obi-wan.

It makes the whole ESB and RotJ movies rather lame and less Epic if you think there were other people besides Luke and Vader using Lightsabers.  if Luke dies, or is even turned, the Galaxy is doomed.  If Luke defeats the Emperor, the Galaxy is saved.  But we find out in the End the only way to defeat the Emperor, is to turn Vader BACK to the lightside and defeat the Emperor and the only person who could do that was Luke (or maybe Liea)

But LOOK OUT... here comes Kanan Jarrus (DUN DUN DUN!) he was just a Padawan, but had just  enough training to make his own saber, avoid Vader and any inqusitors, and now is going to train plucky kid sidekick Bridger just like Kanan was trained by his now DEAD former master.

I love GMing it but it doesn't make for good TV.

And the reverse is true.

Lucas wasn't trying to create a setting for an RPG.  He was telling a classic 'hero's journey' tale where the hero has to be the ultra-special snowflake, the last of a special line of people with special powers.

All that came after was mostly silly retcons, like the prequels. 

By and large, movies and books don't make for good RPG settings, because, as kinnison just put it: So yea.  you can be a psuedo Jedi, but you are never going to be more powerful then the Emporer, Luke, Vader, or even possibly Liea.

It's the same with anything - play a game in the Marvel Universe, and you'll really only ever get to do anything important if The Avengers or whoever go on holiday. 

If you want loads of Jedi, go right ahead, it's your game.  They're the antagonists in our game, for instance. 

That's mostly why I decided our game would be a bit like Peter Jackson's 'Lord of the Rings' or 'Hobbit' - inspired by Star Wars and a homage to it, rather than relying on any official 'canon'. 

But LOOK OUT... here comes Kanan Jarrus (DUN DUN DUN!) he was just a Padawan, but had just  enough training to make his own saber, avoid Vader and any inqusitors, and now is going to train plucky kid sidekick Bridger just like Kanan was trained by his now DEAD former master.

This has always been the case in the EU.  As far as I can see, it's mostly been a battle of one-upmanship, where every writer has his own Secret Jedi Hero who is more special and snowflakey than Luke Skywalker, a villain more badass than Vader, and a superweapon more powerful than the Death Star. 

Really, the only thing that's changed is that Disney bought the rights so now they get to decide what's real and what's de-canonized as 'Bullsh*t' - ahem, sorry, 'Legends'. <cough>

I am assuming Kanan is killed and Ezra either ends up finding a family of his own and quiting or they end up pulling a Blake Seven at the end of the series.

Would it have hurt them to have a non-jedi star wars series at least demonstrating why they can't be the main character¿

As it stands thanks to Filoni and Force Unleashed they could have Ahsota and Rex go get Obi-Wan's help to rescue Princess Leia who was imprisoned after her father was outed as a rebel.

Ahsota ends up having to train Luke until he is sent to train with Yoda meaning by end of ROTJ Ahsota is training new recruits whilst Luke is rebuilding the order and by that i mean she's teaching Leia whilst acting as her bodyguard after Rex is killed during ESB.

Actually sounds like a good game except i'd have included Ventriss somewhere as a cameo...

Edited by copperbell

Take canon and shove it out the airlock. My players are the heroes. Not Luke, Obi-Wan, or any other character from the movies. If they all want to be Jedi that escaped the purge then they are. I love the movies but I am not beholden to them.

Because people take force users from being a important part of the Star Wars setting to Mary/Marty Sue levels. Personally, I find the power creep and one-upmanship associated with force users in this setting to be incredibly annoying. Only thing that topped Jedi in this respect, imo, is Mandolorians whose roots come from a throw away character in the original trilogy.