Sign in to follow this  
Jegergryte

Star Wars: Rebels

Today I was early for a job interview, so I killed some time across the street at Toys R Us. The star Wars section was dominated by Rebels themed toys, including one of those ringed double lightsabers. I can confirm that's as stupid and unwieldy in real life as it looks on the screen.

I do love how all the effects look totally ANH quality. The exploding TIEs is classic.

I thought it kind of cool how they were visually riffing on the Death Star escape. The staging and composition was dead on New Hope.

Edited by Desslok

Hmmm. A cartoon called Star Wars: Rebels and the stormtroopers miss and basically behave like keystone cops. Shock of shocks.

That is the portrayal of stormtroopers a Star Wars RPG called Age of Rebellion about playing rebels rebelling against the Evil Empire should have. But I think we all know that.

Hey look, it is the Empires elite stormtrooper corps in action in a new clip:-

Not really enjoyable.  TCW, for all the weird stuff it pulled, was still usually "believable"  (...maybe not the best word...) or at the least I could readily suspend my disbelief.  This had every stormtrooper behaving like the two guards in Pirate of the Caribbean 1, and too much off-camera teleportation for my taste.  It's a wonder the Empire ever held more than a single planet...

Not really enjoyable.  TCW, for all the weird stuff it pulled, was still usually "believable"  (...maybe not the best word...) or at the least I could readily suspend my disbelief.  This had every stormtrooper behaving like the two guards in Pirate of the Caribbean 1, and too much off-camera teleportation for my taste.  It's a wonder the Empire ever held more than a single planet...

The basic droid troopers in TCW are constant walking punch lines. I mean, seriously. One of their lines is:

Droid 1: You missed!

Droid 2: I can't help it, it's my programming!

Not to mention all the numerous times they trip and fall, or are confused by the heroes being where they shouldn't. The basic Droids are never given any sort of seriousness.

Stormtroopers are fine against characters that don't have hero shields. As for the ones in the clip acting like morons maybe they were green, or assigned to the area they are specifically because they are on the low end of the Stormtrooper talent pool.

Stormtroopers are fine against characters that don't have hero shields. As for the ones in the clip acting like morons maybe they were green, or assigned to the area they are specifically because they are on the low end of the Stormtrooper talent pool.

...or, they were trained by Jar-Jar Binks.

Hmmm. A cartoon called Star Wars: Rebels and the stormtroopers miss and basically behave like keystone cops. Shock of shocks.

That is the portrayal of stormtroopers a Star Wars RPG called Age of Rebellion about playing rebels rebelling against the Evil Empire should have. But I think we all know that.

The nice thing about an RPG is that I can do whatever makes the game the most enjoyable for my players. So if I want to play them as keystone cops because my players enjoy that, I can. Or I can play them as elite troops and challenge my players so they have an enjoyable experience. Either way is the right way.

Well, I have to say that in movies Storm Toopers only hit C3-PO (or was Bobba?) once and a pair of weak hits (stun and arm) on Leia. Also they hit a few Rebel Troops... but, almost, no heroes where harmed on Star Wars movies by the Empire XD

...or, they were trained by Jar-Jar Binks.

I like the idea that Senator Binks is still out there somewhere, earnestly working for Empire until it's safe for the Chancellor to give up his 'emergency powers'.

"Mee-sa working hard for mee-sa friend Palpy. Mee-sa friend senator Padme would be bombad proud of me helping her old friend. Not to be mentioning her loving husband Annie. Now you-sa be excusing me. Palpy be-sa asking me to meet Alderran ambassador and reee-assure her we-sa willing to negotiate."

Most naïve villain, ever! :)

Edited by knasserII

Well, I have to say that in movies Storm Toopers only hit C3-PO (or was Bobba?) once and a pair of weak hits (stun and arm) on Leia. Also they hit a few Rebel Troops... but, almost, no heroes where harmed on Star Wars movies by the Empire XD

Like just about every action movie I've ever seen. Unless it is part of the plot, the main characters are rarely ever hit no matter how much lead or energy fills the air. Every bad guy and minion in the movies must go to the same school of shooting. It woukd be a movie short if they were actually portrayed as being as competant as they are meant to be.

Not really enjoyable. TCW, for all the weird stuff it pulled, was still usually "believable" (...maybe not the best word...) or at the least I could readily suspend my disbelief. This had every stormtrooper behaving like the two guards in Pirate of the Caribbean 1, and too much off-camera teleportation for my taste. It's a wonder the Empire ever held more than a single planet...

The basic droid troopers in TCW are constant walking punch lines. I mean, seriously. One of their lines is:

Droid 1: You missed!

Droid 2: I can't help it, it's my programming!

Not to mention all the numerous times they trip and fall, or are confused by the heroes being where they shouldn't. The basic Droids are never given any sort of seriousness.

Sure, but they weren't the elite, it was all serious when the other droids showed up. Stormtroopers, otoh were supposed to be the elite.

In any case I don't mind the keystone-cops thing that much, and there were a couple of good lines ("I've read your book, it's pretty short."), and the animation is great of course. But I reserve the right to completely despise the off-camera teleporting :)

Edited by whafrog

Now, now - do I have to type out that whole Stormtroopers Cant Shoot thing again?

(I really need to save that URL to that old thread. . . . )

The long and the short of it is, the times we don't see the Stormtroopers being wildly effective is when they are under orders not to be (Letting the rebels flee the Death Star or Herding Luke to Vader's position). Otherwise, they're actually pretty badass - taking the Blockade Runner with minor casualties, the total curb stomp on Hoth, and the first part of the Endor battle where they fought their way clear of a surrounded position (only losing the battle when they broke up into smaller units to pursue the enemy).

Edited by Desslok

Like just about every action movie I've ever seen. Unless it is part of the plot, the main characters are rarely ever hit no matter how much lead or energy fills the air. Every bad guy and minion in the movies must go to the same school of shooting. It woukd be a movie short if they were actually portrayed as being as competant as they are meant to be.

So, something like this. . .. ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ix3EEipwRJk

(No real point to add - I just wanted an excuse to post this badass scene)

Why people is always so agressive with expositions and interpretations? XD (Sorry if I interpretate it wrong).

I liked my aportation, the one from Desslok, from Mouthymerc and from Sylpheed. Expose a different point of view isn't an attacks to our own. Exposition with respect are always welcome :D

So much anger in this forums is...

And backing to the post I will say that:

Disney + "Are the bad guys" philosophy = 3% Hit possibilities XD

Edited by Josep Maria

So, something like this. . .. ?

Absolutely. One of the first scenes that came to mind. Although speaking of what is canon and such, watching that clip I never realized that anti-personal devices like the claymores could be used as such efficient demolition explosives. It always amazes me what is done for the sake of plot and what is considered entertaining.