Sign in to follow this  
Jegergryte

Star Wars: Rebels

Plus movies like Despicable Me and The Incredibles are for kids and manage dialogue that isn't card board cutout caricature boring.

yeah...maybe I just *want* to like it :)

I do too. I grant perhaps when viewed in context it will shine in a better light. I'm just lamenting TCW and how I go from intergalactic conspiracies to seize control of the banking system to a pair of dudes hassling a fruit vendor. I'm concerned....

It's a new campaign with new characters though, gotta get some of that sweet Kobold XP before you can take on the Tarrasque...

I do too. I grant perhaps when viewed in context it will shine in a better light. I'm just lamenting TCW and how I go from intergalactic conspiracies to seize control of the banking system to a pair of dudes hassling a fruit vendor. I'm concerned....

Although, to be fair - if we were to judge Clone Wars by just the pilot - well, that movie was god aweful. A terrible start to a show that got much much better. So yeah, until we get at least a couple of episodes (or even half the first season) under our belt, I wouldnt worry too much.

Do they turn to the crowd in the middle east and say "Who's going to stop us?  Muhaha" also?

Minus the 'Muhaha' (usually), yes. Depending on the region we're talking about, to speak out against militia can mean mutilation or death. To speak out against the goverment can mean you disappear or publicly shamed and possibly executed. Sometimes they do this intentionally in front of a crowd to cow them and set an example. If that doesn't work, its not unheard of, though not common, for entire villages to disappear or end up dead for being 'treasonous' and/or 'heretical.' Make enough noise for the 'wrong' reasons, and another group doesn't get you, you may end up on the buisness end of a Hellfire with others around you. Its really not a pleasant part of the world at the moment. Thats all I'm going to say on that particular matter as not to further derail the thread with world politics.

Just give Rebels some time man. By its nature its going to have to start out small on a smaller scale and work its way up to the conspiracies. I mean, it is starting out as a crew stealing from the Empire and starting some noise, where TCW started out as two massive armies slugging it out with shadowy crap going on behind the scenes. I'm sure as soon as the Inquisitor starts showing up regularly, things will start ramping up in a hurry. Might take a season or two, but I'm sure it'll get there. ;)

As something set pre-Ep IV is there really that much Legends for it to poop on?

Not really, particularly as Lucasfilm/Disney have already taken the biggest crap possible on the EU by shunting the entirety of it into the "Legends" category and thus making anything outside of a specific sub-set of materials "non-canon."  At this point, the writers and producers pretty much have a free hand in terms of what EU elements they want to bring back and which ones they want to leave buried.

Personally, I'm cool with SW:Rebels being free to do their own thing.  And I'm certainly wiling to give the show a chance beyond a few trailers and sneak peeks before condemning it whole cloth.

I'm still really excited about the series, but this clip is suffering from series-pilot-dialogue-syndrome.

"who is this kid?"

"who is this kid?"

"who is this guy?"

"who is this kid?"

"who is this guy?"

Yah I kind of cringed listening to it.  I'll give the show a season before I pass judgement, writers need time to flesh out ideas, actors time to get comfortable with characters.  

I gotta say though Imperial officers and Stormtroopers hassling a guy selling apples on the corner??  Really??

Do they turn to the crowd in the middle east and say "Who's going to stop us?  Muhaha" also?

Minus the 'Muhaha' (usually), yes. Depending on the region we're talking about, to speak out against militia can mean mutilation or death. To speak out against the goverment can mean you disappear or publicly shamed and possibly executed. Sometimes they do this intentionally in front of a crowd to cow them and set an example. If that doesn't work, its not unheard of, though not common, for entire villages to disappear or end up dead for being 'treasonous' and/or 'heretical.' Make enough noise for the 'wrong' reasons, and another group doesn't get you, you may end up on the buisness end of a Hellfire with others around you. Its really not a pleasant part of the world at the moment. Thats all I'm going to say on that particular matter as not to further derail the thread with world politics.

Just give Rebels some time man. By its nature its going to have to start out small on a smaller scale and work its way up to the conspiracies. I mean, it is starting out as a crew stealing from the Empire and starting some noise, where TCW started out as two massive armies slugging it out with shadowy crap going on behind the scenes. I'm sure as soon as the Inquisitor starts showing up regularly, things will start ramping up in a hurry. Might take a season or two, but I'm sure it'll get there. ;)

I quoted myself. Perhaps you could point out where I said I was unwilling or was not giving  the show a chance.

I pointed out there are plenty of cartoons aimed squarely at children produced by this same company with witty entertaining dialogue. This preview's dialogue was neither.

Edited by 2P51

Mein Gott, I hate the nested quote system on this forum.

I quoted myself. Perhaps you could point out where I said I was unwilling or was not giving  the show a chance.

I pointed out there are plenty of cartoons aimed squarely at children produced by this same company with witty entertaining dialogue. This previews was neither.

Point out where I said give it a chance. ;)  Now what I did say was give it time, not that you were not willing to give it a chance. If your wish to equate that as being the same thing, I disagree, but will not argue. What I meant, and a couple others have pointed out also, the show need time to get it's feet under itself and build up momentum to get to the point TCW was at. I believe several, if not all, of your concerns will be addressed in a season or two. It just needs time and a bit of patience from the older audience. Probably a full first season worth of patience I'm willing to bet, but that doesn't deviate much from TCW.

Just give a chance dude! :lol: 

As something set pre-Ep IV is there really that much Legends for it to poop on?

Not really. Unless they happen to visit Hutt Space or the Corporate or Corellian Sectors at just the right times, there's not enough details on that era in Legends for the show to clash with unless it later depicts the seizure of the Death Star plans and even that could be considered just yet another piece of the plans unless the show says specifically otherwise. Oh and I suppose they might alter the Battle of Toporawa or the details of how the plans got to Leia. They might also alter the Battle of Tanaab but as I mentioned before I'm hoping they do that.

He might be talking about Kessel, which is going to be quite different in Rebels from how it was portrayed in Legends.

What's the source for this? I gotta see this one.

I don't know where else. but it's certainly in the new Rebels Visual guide. It's described as a mining planet ruled by a royal family, where the atmosphere has been polluted by the industry.

If you've seen the trailers where Kanan rises up on top of the Ghost with his lightsaber, that's on Kessel.

He might be talking about Kessel, which is going to be quite different in Rebels from how it was portrayed in Legends.

I don't know where else. but it's certainly in the new Rebels Visual guide. It's described as a mining planet ruled by a royal family, where the atmosphere has been polluted by the industry.

If you've seen the trailers where Kanan rises up on top of the Ghost with his lightsaber, that's on Kessel.

I'll check that out next time I'm at the bookstore.

If that's true I'm actually a little surprised at that change. Some stuff like the energy spiders were a bit lame, but the overall concept didn't seem bad...

Kessel was another creation from the Jedi Academy Travesty that made me want to me want to punch KJA in the BabyMaker. The high level premise was sound enough, but it was all the details and nonsensical color that annoyed the everluvin hell out of me. Another bit of canon I don't mind throwing under the bus for The Greater Good.

Edited by Desslok

In retrospect I'm not surprised. Being lazy by changing the details of Legnds planets rather then creating new ones is a hallmark of the TCW and Rebels writing staff. They did the same thing with Ryloth. A pity I think the description of Kessel was one of the few things, if not the only thing, KJA did a good job of while writing Star Wars novels.

In retrospect I'm not surprised. Being lazy by changing the details of Legnds planets rather then creating new ones is a hallmark of the TCW and Rebels writing staff. They did the same thing with Ryloth. A pity I think the description of Kessel was one of the few things, if not the only thing, KJA did a good job of while writing Star Wars novels.

Pegging it as lazy is very unfair. Lucas gave the TCW team creative license, and they took it. Now Lucasfilm has better established that working relationship between EU and on-screen stuff, so there is more creative license being taken with the Legends stories to tell the best story that the writers feel they can tell.

They were given license to change things but IMO they had a very bad habit of changing things when there was no real need to do so. I don't mind changes that are necessary to the story but my definition of what makes a change necessary is much different then the writers.

What significant difference would it have made if the Ryloth arc from TCW had been focused on a Twi'leki colony world, perhaps even a New Ryloth, instead of Ryloth itself? I don't really see any myself but others might disagree.

If there's some reason that its absolutely vital to the plot for this royal mining world to be Kessel great. What I'm concerned about is the possibility that it will be other case where it could have been a different mining and prison planet with no major impact on the story

I'm looking forward to Rebels, but I'm optimism was somewhat diminished when I saw the main (?) character's "energy slingshot" weapon in some of footage shown in the SDCC material...  I feel like kids could identify with the character without that kind of blatant juvenilization.  I had really hoped that kind of Lucas-style pandering to kids (including Ewoks, Baby-talking Gungans, Baby Ani's podrace adventures) was something that was going to be left behind when Grandpa finally passed the reins.

Oh well, dare to dream.

As for 99% of the EU that was crap and is getting crushed under the "Legends" title, THIS:

Another bit of canon I don't mind throwing under the bus for The Greater Good.

The greater good.

I'm looking forward to Rebels, but I'm optimism was somewhat diminished when I saw the main (?) character's "energy slingshot" weapon in some of footage shown in the SDCC material...  I feel like kids could identify with the character without that kind of blatant juvenilization.  I had really hoped that kind of Lucas-style pandering to kids (including Ewoks, Baby-talking Gungans, Baby Ani's podrace adventures) was something that was going to be left behind when Grandpa finally passed the reins.

Oh well, dare to dream.

As for 99% of the EU that was crap and is getting crushed under the "Legends" title, THIS:

Another bit of canon I don't mind throwing under the bus for The Greater Good.

The greater good.

I had completely forgotten the space sling shot.  Another cringe moment.

I had completely forgotten the space sling shot.  Another cringe moment.

I am not sure having kids with 'real' weapons would increase my enjoyment.

[image redacted]

200_s.gif

As IJ pointed out above, a slingshot is, well, a toy that is often associated with young trouble-makers (even stated in the slingshot wikipedia entry).  I'm sure that giving the main character something that looks like a slingshot is is a conscious design decision on the part of the animators to identify the character as just that: A young trouble-maker.

My issue with it is how... unsubtle the choice was.  Jumping from a critique about a design decision to Sub-Saharan child soldiers is hyperbolic, and IMHO, in pretty poor taste.

Edited by LethalDose