Sign in to follow this  
Jegergryte

Star Wars: Rebels

So its official, ISD can go atmo now. Well, that will make things intresting. Just think of playing as the rebels in AoR and one of those shows up for to help the Stormtroopers with CAS.

Not sure why it was ever a question really. Their predecessors, Acclamators and Venators all could. Agreed we never saw an ISD do it, but pretty safe to assume. Well, assume no more! Canon it is :)

I like this preview though. At first I found the visual difference between this and TCW a bit jarring (those Imp officers in particular), but I felt the same when TCW first arrived. I got used to it and loved it.

Aside from character models, I love the look and more importantly the SOUND of this show! Classic blasters, speeder bikes and TIE's - you forget how much those things are ingrained on your consciousness until you hear them again. Then it's just like coming home.

Edited by MrDodger

It looks nice, but a bit too clean.  I love the grit and rough textures of TCW.  Still, the world-building looks good, and I hope it gets better.  The primary reason I watch this stuff is for the backgrounds anyway.

Makes me wonder if we'll see any AoR or EotE Rebels supps piggybacking that...

I'd be very happy if Disney keeps its kid's show out of my RPG, thanks.

I don't want the FFG SW content to be decided by whatever the marketing division is pushing this year. 

I've no objection to any elements of the EU or the prequels or whatever being included in the game - Sons of Fortune did Centrepoint, and Beyond the Rim had call-backs to the prequels.  As long as it's in line with the quality and feel of the rest of the RPG, I don't mind. 

But I really like that this system isn't trying to provide us with 'official stats' for movie characters. Those who want that can always make that stuff up themselves. 

I wouldn't sweat it.  When it comes to the EU FFG what has used they have limited it to essentially gear, ships, and places, no personalities, which is a good policy I think.

Plus, the content and major development is done on whatever FFG is going to release.  The CRBs are done and I'd wager they already know what they are releasing for sourcebooks through 2016.  They've only pushed 2 splatbooks out and have 16 to go and I think it unlikely anything from this series would be included in those.

Post 2016 I really think the focus is going to be on the movie just out and those coming out for what we would be likely to see for new material.  

Edited by 2P51

So its official, ISD can go atmo now. Well, that will make things intresting. Just think of playing as the rebels in AoR and one of those shows up for to help the Stormtroopers with CAS.

Not sure why it was ever a question really. Their predecessors, Acclamators and Venators all could. Agreed we never saw an ISD do it, but pretty safe to assume. Well, assume no more! Canon it is :)

I like this preview though. At first I found the visual difference between this and TCW a bit jarring (those Imp officers in particular), but I felt the same when TCW first arrived. I got used to it and loved it.

Aside from character models, I love the look and more importantly the SOUND of this show! Classic blasters, speeder bikes and TIE's - you forget how much those things are ingrained on your consciousness until you hear them again. Then it's just like coming home.

Just a thing from the previous EU I got in my head. Atmospheric operations was a niche the Victory's and Carracks tended to fill as, and I may be remembering this wrong, ISD were just too massive to support themselves for an extended period of time in a thick atmosphere.

Also I have to agree, the original sound effects being used really helps lends a sense of fimilarity to the series. I still don't care for the animation and art direct though, a problem I had with The Clones Wars also.

Edited by swiftdraw

Makes me wonder if we'll see any AoR or EotE Rebels supps piggybacking that...

I'd be very happy if Disney keeps its kid's show out of my RPG, thanks.

I don't want the FFG SW content to be decided by whatever the marketing division is pushing this year. 

I've no objection to any elements of the EU or the prequels or whatever being included in the game - Sons of Fortune did Centrepoint, and Beyond the Rim had call-backs to the prequels.  As long as it's in line with the quality and feel of the rest of the RPG, I don't mind. 

But I really like that this system isn't trying to provide us with 'official stats' for movie characters. Those who want that can always make that stuff up themselves. 

I don't think FFG will do anything silly, I was thinking less "The Rebels Sourcebook" and more something like The Smuggler Book including the Ghost as a playable ship class, Zeb's species showing up in a sector book, some gadget Sabine has appearing in the Bounty Hunter Book. That sort of thing.

Since we're only a couple of months away from the premiere, you may not want to watch this one - but the first 7 minutes of Rebels dropped today:

So just what does Zeb carry? It looks like a fart-staff lashed to a blaster carbine....

I don't think FFG will do anything silly, I was thinking less "The Rebels Sourcebook" and more something like The Smuggler Book including the Ghost as a playable ship class, Zeb's species showing up in a sector book, some gadget Sabine has appearing in the Bounty Hunter Book. That sort of thing.

That would be fine, I have no objection to more stuff.  I just hope they keep the kawaii stuff out of EoE as they've done so far. 

@Ghostofman: what is a fart-staff? I can't tell if this was a case of auto correct, or you not liking the show..

@Maelora: what part of this 7 minute footage was kawaii? While the animation is a style that some may not like, I don't consider it overly cutesy.

And if Rebels gets a villian half as good as Disney's best villian, David Xanatos, FFG should feel free to include it.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/XanatosGambit

I'm looking forward to it.

Ezra isn't nearly as grating a "kid friendly" character as Ahsoka was, which is a good sign in my book.  Yeah, he acts confident in the clip we see, but for the most part the situation is something he can handle, and when it's not, he gets worried the way a teenager would when they begin to realize that they just might be in over their heads.

As for stuff from this series getting "mixed in" with the RPG itself, given the series takes place five years prior to ANH, I wouldn't get too worried.  The RPG and Star Wars: Rebels have two very different audiences, and FFG is aware of who their general audience for the RPG is.  At most, we're bound to see gear and ships from the series show up, maybe a species or two.  Chances of a purely "Rebels" sourcebook are pretty slim though, if only due to the series taking place outside of the Rebellion Era.

That latest preview elevated my hopes. I wasn't a Clone Wars fan, but what I just saw had me riveted. Well written, well voice acted, and the art style was great and I'm normally not a cartoon fan. If the entire series is half as good I'm sold.

On one hand I doubt we'll see anything like my favorite episodes of TCW, at least not until around the time ANH takes place if the show continues that far but on the other hand the Onderon arc was my favorite arc of the latter half and I'm sure we'll see more arcs like it. Plus I'm hopeful that with the appearance of Lando we will get a decent Battle of Tanaab (The EU version of Battle of Tanaab was stupid IMO.), and there will be less episodes wasted on stupid Jedi things in Rebels so I'm cautiously optimistic.

I'm still really excited about the series, but this clip is suffering from series-pilot-dialogue-syndrome.

"who is this kid?"

"who is this kid?"

"who is this guy?"

"who is this kid?"

"who is this guy?"

Yah I kind of cringed listening to it.  I'll give the show a season before I pass judgement, writers need time to flesh out ideas, actors time to get comfortable with characters.  

I gotta say though Imperial officers and Stormtroopers hassling a guy selling apples on the corner??  Really??

I gotta say though Imperial officers and Stormtroopers hassling a guy selling apples on the corner??  Really??

Out of curiosity, what bothered you about it? I don't mean this sarcasiticlly, I'm actually curious.

If its believability, I've been to places in the US that are like that (sans treason charges though.) I know someplaces in Africa and the Middle East that are pretty much what was dipicted in the pilot (though the goverment forces usually aren't as sharply dressed.) Anyhow, its just setting up, for a younger audience that might not be fimilar with Star Wars, the characterisation of the Empire as being a bunch of bullies and thugs and thus the bad guys.

A lot of the discussion on TFN seems to revolve around hassling a street vendor not seeming sufficiently villainous to justify the 'good guys' throwing genades at and otherwise using lethal force on the Imperials.

Edited by Sylpheed

A lot of the discussion on TFN seems to revolve around hassling a street vendor not seeming sufficiently villainous to justify the 'good guys' throwing genades at and otherwise using lethal force on the Imperials.

It's not like the problems with the Empire started with those guys stealing fruit. 

It's like, "why did Luke attack Vader on Bespin? He was just hanging out in the carbon freeze chamber, minding his own business, and this kid draws on him."

They're stationed on what looks to be a pretty backwater planet. They are probably just bored, and hassling the natives for kicks, simply because they can. They are bullies. It's not like stuff like that hasn't ever happened in the real world.

I'm still really excited about the series, but this clip is suffering from series-pilot-dialogue-syndrome.

"who is this kid?"

"who is this kid?"

"who is this guy?"

"who is this kid?"

"who is this guy?"

Oh c'mon :)  By the third one I realized it was a gag.  If you have to introduce a whole new cast of characters in a SW show, and you want to start off with action, you can't spend a lot of time on who's who.  There's no pre-show scroll, after all.  I could wish for a more "adult" beginning, but it *is* a kid's show.

Out of curiosity, what bothered you about it? I don't mean this sarcasiticlly, I'm actually curious.

If its believability, I've been to places in the US that are like that (sans treason charges though.) I know someplaces in Africa and the Middle East that are pretty much what was dipicted in the pilot (though the goverment forces usually aren't as sharply dressed.) Anyhow, its just setting up, for a younger audience that might not be fimilar with Star Wars, the characterisation of the Empire as being a bunch of bullies and thugs and thus the bad guys.

Do they turn to the crowd in the middle east and say "Who's going to stop us?  Muhaha" also?

"who is this kid?"

"who is this kid?"

"who is this guy?"

"who is this kid?"

"who is this guy?"

Oh c'mon :)  By the third one I realized it was a gag.  If you have to introduce a whole new cast of characters in a SW show, and you want to start off with action, you can't spend a lot of time on who's who.  There's no pre-show scroll, after all.  I could wish for a more "adult" beginning, but it *is* a kid's show.

The movies are for kids.  Lucas was recreating the pop scifi serial classic feel.  The kind of things kids went to the movie house to watch on Saturdays.  So a little sophistication isn't out of place.

Plus movies like Despicable Me and The Incredibles are for kids and manage dialogue that isn't card board cutout caricature boring.

Plus movies like Despicable Me and The Incredibles are for kids and manage dialogue that isn't card board cutout caricature boring.

yeah...maybe I just *want* to like it :)

I do too. I grant perhaps when viewed in context it will shine in a better light. I'm just lamenting TCW and how I go from intergalactic conspiracies to seize control of the banking system to a pair of dudes hassling a fruit vendor. I'm concerned....