Sign in to follow this  
Callidon

The Unkindest Cut

LeBlanc13 said:

Oh sure, confuse the situation with your "facts". :)

Actually, looks like I need to read into my sources more closely.

Personally, I don't think a puritanical Inquisitor would allow for an obvious mutation in his retinue of hirelings. Most likely neither would his peers tolerate it. Even if they didn't kill him, they'd probably strand him somewhere or kick him out of the group rather than risk the wrath of their puritanical masters.

On on a world-by-world basis, mutants will be treated differently. Sometimes tolerated and sometimes purged by the general population. Inquisitors, escpecially puritanical ones, as noted by the OP would not tolerate a mutant in their fold. Those harboring him (the PC's) would be seen almost in the same light if it was discovered. I still think the mutant needs to be purged from the group.

True about the puritanical outlook on mutants. Just look at Witchfinder Rykuss (sp?) from the core book. He's a great example of the fire and brimstone puritanical inquisitor. After reading a bit about him, there's no question he'll burn any mutant he finds no matter who that mutant is or what assets he can bring to the Imperium.

DotDG goes a bit deeper on the Inquisitions default view and handling of mutants in the Hereticus section. Most Inquisitors won't go burning down any mutant slums or purging the mutant slaves of Sepherus Secondus. The mutants that are tolerated by the powers that be tend to be the poor dregs who are born twisted by natural environmental conditions. While they are still seen as sinners by virtue of their very existence, wretches, and perversions of the sacrid human form, they are tolerated because they are both usefully expendable as well as, over all, not a danger to the IoM. Spontaneous mutants, however, are different.

Mutants that are the result of radiation, pollution, or extreme environments tend to be born mutants. The most such conditions will do to a pure human is simply inspire cancerous growths and a slow terrible death... they won't cause eye stalks and spontaneous tentacle growth. If mutants are tolerated somewhere, these are the kind that are. Spontaneous mutants, those that were once pure but undergo some form of transformation or alteration are greatly feared and rarely if ever tolerated. Not only do they represent a force that can turn anyone into a twisted perversion pulling their deepest and darkest sins to the surface for all to see, but such a force is almost always chaos. These are the mutants that must be purged least their sickness spread strengthening chaos and weakening mankind.

Hard-Line Puritanical Inquisitors won't suffer a mutant to live and tend not to draw any distinctions between "naturally" born mutant, abhuman, and chaos mutant.

Pragmatic Inquisitors tend to leave the natural born mutants and abhumans alone choosing to concentrate on real threats such as the chaos mutant.

Radical Inquisitors might allow a chaos mutant to live if said mutant was useful -all a part of using the enemy's weapons against them. These, of course, are the same Inquisitors who'll summon and bind a daemon to their service, learn the sorcerous arts, and tote around daemon weapons.

I don't think my group would kill a mutated comrade.

I say this because my character is a mutant, he winged.  Although he gained them as the result of his interaction with Emma, patron saint of assassins, its not a chaos related mutation.  It was fun to roleplay how my character reacted to the change and way praying to Emma for guidance (I recieved a sign). It was fun because it formed a mini-adventure for my character as I trekked through the lowest levels of Sibellus to visit her tomb.  One other character found out about it (my character's lover, played by my girlfriend), and then the rest found out slowly.  Our Inquisitor somehow found out and as it fturns out she doesn't care.

I have to say that it has probably been a good thing for our group.

I secretly dread the thought of PC mutations cropping up, either while I GM or as a player. Even if it ends up being a concealable affliction it would be a major trauma for the character and I know a few (one of my own, a few of other players) would end their lives then and there rather than live on as an abomination. That said, one player has a guardsman who, as a result of the Mara Landing Massacre and a poor divination, is a wyrdling. Nobody knows it yet, let alone the character himself, and I plan to have a good deal of fun plaguing the poor fellow with strange and terrible things before he figures out what's up.

Well my group have one mutated right now, well not realy mutated in sence sprouting tentacles but he become a psysker. He read some corrupted stuff and bound a demon to a body. He has only hinted to us that he has become a psyker. My character has reported it to our Inquisitor. He asked another player to kill him if he started to behave strangely. But she was forbidden by our Inquisitor to kill anybody in the party (she already killed 2) and he has told me (the rest of us) that any internal murders will be investigated down to tiniest detail. We been to busy to act on it until now, as we also needed him to do that ritual.

But we see what comes with time, if he is not taken out for us.

I know that as a person who plays Puritanical characters chaos mutation is just a bolt pistol round to the head. You've gone from being a friend and a asset to being an agent of the Great Enemy, however unwillingly. Mercy is a weakness. It dulls our senses, and it can't be spared for even the closest friends. The fact alone that you let such corruption take hold of you shows the darkness of your soul. Only the Emperor can help you and there's not a thing we can do about it other than help you get there faster.

*BLAM*

As for normal mutants, in the Witch Hunter codex is references mutant used for slave-labour staging rebellions that topple planets before being warp-touched by charismatic psykers.

I would like to point out that all Abhumans are considered mutants.

That's right.  Ratlings, Ogryn, Squats (what few survive) and even the Navigators are all considered mutants.  Do you know why?  Because they diverge from the sacred human baseline.  The only difference is that each "species" is considered stable, have their uses, and are therefore tolerated.  You breed some ogryn, and you get more ogryn.  You have an idea of what you are going to get.  Breed that mutant with the chitinous hide and the one with gills, and Throne only knows what will claw its way out.

That being said; Navigators are a bit of an oddity, as they do not always breed true.  Otherwise, there would be more of them around.  The Houses are full of family members who do not have the third eye.  But the gene is always there.

Just my thoughts.

-=Brother Praetus=-