Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jedi moose

Serious Speculation on Release Dates

48 posts in this topic

I was certainly surprised to see Wave Four being released so soon, I totally had it pegged for Q3.  Now, part of this may be a ramping up of operations, since FFG handed off their Dust Tactics line in June or July last year (I can't remember exactly), their miniature development team would have had additional resources.  Combine that with a year of development, and we now start to see the fruits of their labors.  I think we may see a continuation of this escalated releases as they now have the resources to make it happen.  They're focusing on a product that is selling well and can be a solid income revenue for the next few years.

I thought about FFG doing another core set (2 z-95 and one TIE Defender).  What do you guys think?  Would you be interested?  I think I would be.        

I would be interested but mainly to get ships cheaper. However, I do not think that will happen. At least not with that combination of ships. Two Z-95 against one defender might not be balanced.

I'm not so sure, I'm pretty sure the Defender would stomp the two headhunters.  I have NEVER once seen the X-wing in the Core set lose,  using only the rules in the Core Set, even up to the 31 points that it recommends.  This would reverse it.  The Defender would destroy the headhunters with ease.

Not that that is really a problem, it just seems likely.

Here is what I think (Kind of a time line) based on knowledge one of my locals showed me with their distributor:

Imperial Aces - End of Feb/Begin of March (This is confirmed as I believe FFG said you can't use Aces at Store Champs)

Store Champs - Thru March

Transport - April (This was still showing on time from the distributor) (Also something new for us to play with after Store Champs)

Tantive IV - May 4th (This would be perfect time to launch this ship in particular)

Regionals - Thru May/ Early June (Sorry, I think I saw someone post this time frame, I could be completely wrong here)

Board Tiles - July (This was pushed back big time)

Wave 4 - July

GenCon - August with another announcement from FFG like last year showing off probably Imperial Ships

That would take us up into Q4 with Nationals and Worlds with maybe one final release for the holidays to pamper us over till 2015 :-)

I thought about FFG doing another core set (2 z-95 and one TIE Defender).  What do you guys think?  Would you be interested?  I think I would be.        

I would be interested but mainly to get ships cheaper. However, I do not think that will happen. At least not with that combination of ships. Two Z-95 against one defender might not be balanced.

I'm not so sure, I'm pretty sure the Defender would stomp the two headhunters.

I'm pretty sure that was his point .

I think the bigger issue is that a Defender and two Headhunters doesn't catch the eye and fire the imagination that an X-Wing and two Tie Fighters does. The latter is more iconic, with a much wider appeal. That is critical in a Starter, which is meant to bring in new players.

Edited by elfholme
Engine25 likes this

Would be better if they didnt get our hopes up by putting release dates-  maybe something like released sometime this year- or even better just show them on the release dates.

You really think people would complain less if, instead of giving a best estimate ("sometime the first few months of 2014"), they just said "hey, look what's coming out!" and everybody went "sweet, when?" and they just shrugged and went "Whenever."  As was said above; delays happen, things can get pushed, but it's not like they promised everything would be out for the May 4th event, pinky swear, or something.  I think the quarterly estimates are the best compromise they can give between not making promises they can't keep and just not giving any release info at all.

SheepDog likes this

Here is what I think (Kind of a time line) based on knowledge one of my locals showed me with their distributor:

Imperial Aces - End of Feb/Begin of March (This is confirmed as I believe FFG said you can't use Aces at Store Champs)

Store Champs - Thru March

Transport - April (This was still showing on time from the distributor) (Also something new for us to play with after Store Champs)

Tantive IV - May 4th (This would be perfect time to launch this ship in particular)

Regionals - Thru May/ Early June (Sorry, I think I saw someone post this time frame, I could be completely wrong here)

Board Tiles - July (This was pushed back big time)

Wave 4 - July

GenCon - August with another announcement from FFG like last year showing off probably Imperial Ships

That would take us up into Q4 with Nationals and Worlds with maybe one final release for the holidays to pamper us over till 2015 :-)

Umm more like 

Board Tiles - J̶u̶l̶y̶ When hell freezes over.    ;)

I don't feel like speculating on anything until I'm holding an Imperial Aces box in my freakin' hands.

I would be shocked if Aces didn't drop on us pretty abruptly.  I got the distinct impression they were dragging their feet on announcing any more stuff until they were actually getting some of the announced stuff out the door.  There didn't seem to be any real pressing need for them to randomly go "oh hey - did we mention Wave 4 yet...?" on a Friday afternoon, so I would be surprised if they didn't have something (Imp Aces being the only logical choice) pretty much ready to go finally.

Amazon has pre-orders of aces and say that they will ship February 28th...

Amazon in the UK does not, and still has dates of 22 Feb for Transport and Tantive.

My LGS told me yesterday he "will have the big ships in in a few weeks" but didn't mention Imperial Aces.

Make of that what you will!

I don't feel like speculating on anything until I'm holding an Imperial Aces box in my freakin' hands.

I would be shocked if Aces didn't drop on us pretty abruptly.  I got the distinct impression they were dragging their feet on announcing any more stuff until they were actually getting some of the announced stuff out the door.  There didn't seem to be any real pressing need for them to randomly go "oh hey - did we mention Wave 4 yet...?" on a Friday afternoon, so I would be surprised if they didn't have something (Imp Aces being the only logical choice) pretty much ready to go finally.

They dropped it randomly on a Friday evening to have a betting pool on how long it took us to notice, then point and laugh while the forums exploded....  a tactic that worked

Imp Aces is listed as "On The Boat"  so hopefully soon.  I pre-ordered 2.  Apparently you can't use them in store championships, at least the exclusive upgrades, but I doubt anyone would begrudge me using the 181st mini with Fel in it.

I am glad this is serious speculation and not wild speculation and wishful thinking, rolled up in a little pessimism. ;-) just messing with you. Please proceed with your serious speculation

I haven't seen anywhere where FFG specifically said Imp Aces are not legal in store champs.

That said, until FFG releases a new tourney rules, imp aces is not listed in the "Legal Products" section.  And as such, they are illegal until otherwise said by FFG.

With the large ships being pushed back I think you will likely see most things released at or near GenCon. This seems to be how things played out last year if I remember correctly. I wasn't into X-Wing at the time but I remember the horribly long line to get into the FF booth to get some of the AoE stuff they had there, and that there were X-Wing units that were not yet available in stores.

Now it all depends on what definition of Q2 they are using. GenCon will either fall in the middle of Q3 or the end of Q2. Some versions of quarters include January in Q4.

The capital ships weren't pushed back. We never got a release window from FFG until a few weeks ago, which is Q2. A May release isn't unreasonable for when they did the preview and put them on the Upcoming list.

And the Upcoming list uses calendar quarters, so Q2 is April - June, and Q3 is July - Sept. Now, I'm willing to accept the possibility that Wave 4 may slip to July, but I'm expecting June. Not quite sure what happened with the Aces, but I doubt these releases will be that late.

If anything is going to release early at Gencon, we will find out about it in May, just like Wave 3.

One UK shop has announced pre-orders for Wave Four saying "Expected to ship on 1st June"

They also have the Tile Kit/Starfield listed as shipping from 14th February.

One UK shop has announced pre-orders for Wave Four saying "Expected to ship on 1st June"

They also have the Tile Kit/Starfield listed as shipping from 14th February.

Link?

the retailer in ma town said to me that aces will come out end of february or early march before the touarnement begins in his shop ^^.

about the other ships and waves he takled about june july but he isnt sure about them

the retailer in ma town said to me that aces will come out end of february or early march before the touarnement begins in his shop ^^.

about the other ships and waves he takled about june july but he isnt sure about them

If your local retaile ta©kles you I would seriously consider pressing charges (just kidding :P )