Sign in to follow this  
period3

wave 4 and a-wings

I just got a fourth a-wing before wave 4 was announced, but now I'm wondering about the future for a-wings...  It seems the z95 fulfills the same role, but cheaper.  Even if it's less maneuverable, it's arguably weakening the case for taking a-wings. 

Among Rebels, the a-wing was one of the few ships that could carry missiles, so I always thought the a-wing could be buffed with new and interesting missiles -- but now those upgrades will apply equally well to the z95.   I guess we'll have to see just how bad the z95 dial is. 

Any other thoughts about the role of the a-wing after wave 4?

A wings werent very effective to begin with (in my opinion). The only thing that they are good for is moving around. Arvel is great if you know how to move (though anyone who doesnt know how to fly will claim he sucks... and Tycho is great with either daredevil or push the limits, but doesnt quite have the umph he needs if he is flying against someone else who knows how to fly aswell.) 

A wings are not suppose to fight head on, and make ineffective missile boats. they however can fly around and get an edge on the enemy and use a missile at an opportune moment

I think it's also gonna depend on what talents show up, and what the z-95s have.. As well as the Dial - The A-wing has one of the best dials in the game.

The green squadron A-wing with it's Elite Talent slot makes it pretty awesome. If the new z95's don't have a talent, then there's still a place for Green Squad - (Though, I think the 3 agility, Boost and Evade options keep them a good option) - they're much more survivable than the z-95. 

I would count on A-wings still being pretty useful, especially as flankers.

Exactly.

There is a role for every ship in the game, including A-wings. It might not be the role you like to play, and thus the ship will probably be next to useless for you, but it's a role nonetheless.

The A-wing is great for what it's supposed to do: hit and fade. It is designed so you maneuver around and get the perfect shot, then you boost in at close range and hopefully get a hit or two before bugging out. This little ship depends on you being great at maneuvering, which is remarkably similar to the fluff in that A-wings were tricky to fly and restricted to the pilots who excelled at maneuvering. The X-wing is much more forgiving of mistakes because it has the hull and shields to absorb hits, but the A-wing is fragile and temperamental, and needs a top-notch pilot behind it to make full use of it.

In the fluff, the Z-95 is an old design which was kept around by the Alliance for guard duty, and I think this means that it will work best in X-wing by hanging around bigger ships and providing cover for them. Say, orbiting around a YT-1300 and taking pot shots at TIE Fighters, or keeping close to the new Transport and CR-90 minis and discouraging close-range attacks. They're not going to be space superiority fighters at all, and will instead take a back seat to the X-wing and E-wing.

The A-Wings are outstanding in objective or scenario games.  When tasked with blowing up a specific target (satellites, containers, etc) they can cut through enemy defensive lines and do strafing runs.  

Same goes for the interceptors.  

I think it's also gonna depend on what talents show up, and what the z-95s have.. As well as the Dial - The A-wing has one of the best dials in the game.

The green squadron A-wing with it's Elite Talent slot makes it pretty awesome. If the new z95's don't have a talent, then there's still a place for Green Squad - (Though, I think the 3 agility, Boost and Evade options keep them a good option) - they're much more survivable than the z-95. 

I would count on A-wings still being pretty useful, especially as flankers.

what HE sai. total agreement. A-Wings r very underrated esp the GSPilot with PTL.

The A-Wings are outstanding in objective or scenario games.  When tasked with blowing up a specific target (satellites, containers, etc) they can cut through enemy defensive lines and do strafing runs.  

Same goes for the interceptors.  

This. So much this.

A-wings are remarkably good ships, but they are fast attack ships, not dog fighters. They are at their best when they are hitting specific, hard to reach  targets, or when hitting the throttle and intercepting someone going after a high value friend. This means that they are not quite as good as they could be in the standard "Kill everything" format most of us play the majority of the time. I have a feeling once Epic play hits and it becomes important to keep bombers off your transport or to unload a few early game missiles at an enemy Huge base before it starts dishing out whatever it can do to your X-wings we will see them shine again.

A green Squad A wing making use of a good EPS will always have a place. PTL of course, VI too but also looking forward to running one with Opportunist. Great finishers. Only have one A though, and I dont see me buying more until (If) they get the 'aces' treatment. 

Edited by berusplants

Actually, given the cheapness -and- usefulness of the Ion Pulse Missiles, we now have an entirely new function for A-Wings by giving them the chance to Ionize targets and making them absolutely miserable by getting behind or around them while they cry for help. They're already stupidly annoying to lots of lists, and if you add upgrades to them or have PTL they're a really great addition to lists. It's your own **** fault if you don't know how to fly them: don't blame the ship, blame the pilot.