Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DraconPyrothayan

X-Wing Life-hacks

61 posts in this topic

Having trouble visualizing the distance of Turns? Watch your firing arc.

When turning right, the right border of your firing arc will always be on the same line as your left when you complete the maneuver. Vice versa for turning the other direction.

Similarly, when banking, the line from the back corner of your ship to the front center will be the same line as the back-center of your ending to it's front corner of the same side!

Sense to me, this does not make.

if I knew how to post pictures in the forum, I could diagram it for you.

I think they have to be already on the internet somewhere.

Something I like to do is break from one target to pursue another. Your opponent will rarely suspect it, or at least that has been the case in my experience. Generally they expect you to keep dogging one ship, but keep your eye out for other pieces on the board that you could suddenly turn and attack. This works best with fast, maneuverable ships like TIEs, Interceptors or A-Wings. It also works best if the movement you use to disengage from one fight to engage in the other is either a) a very fast maneuver like a 4 or 5 straight, or b) a turn in completely the opposite direction from the opponent you've been chasing up to this point. So if you've been doing tight 1-2 right turns to follow someone, then break left with a 3 bank. Sort of gives your combat a "water flowing over rocks" feel...

Learned from Hothie: worried you're going to k-turn off the board?  Use that asteroid conveniently placed at range 2 away from the edge to know that you won't.  Works for 3 and 4 k-turns for small ships and 3 k-turns for big ones.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yzwfbpi0yl1k1g0/Screenshot%202014-02-10%2008.40.32.png

Edited by sozin

When turning right, the right border of your firing arc will always be on the same line as your left when you complete the maneuver. Vice versa for turning the other direction.

Similarly, when banking, the line from the back corner of your ship to the front center will be the same line as the back-center of your ending to it's front corner of the same side!

Tried to get pictures to work.  failed.  here's a link: 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ridxj108c9magp7/Screenshot%202014-02-10%2008.52.42.png

Keffisch likes this

This is not strictly true.  Fire arcs are approximately 80 degrees wide, not 90.

Aminar likes this

Learned from National Champ AtomicBoxier: If you're setting up your ships in formation flying position and worried that they might crash into each other, keep them separated and straight by positioning a maneuver template between them.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zsv6etgiliso93f/Screenshot%202014-02-10%2008.59.21.png

its important to remember that the width of any movement template, that way you can be as close as possible (overlapping fire)

• Use everything on the board as clues to measuring distance.

• If you know a ship ahead of you was just range 2 ahead of you last turn, that means you can safely span the distance of a 5 straight (so a small ship can move 4 straight, a medium ship can move 3 straight).

• As mentioned previously, set asteroids so they help you gauge distances at certain points of the board

Knowing that a small ship is the distance of a 1-forward and a medium ship is the distance of a 2-forward, use your enemy's ships in front of you to help gauge whether or not a move past them will succeed (often key when k-turning)

When keeping small ships in formation with medium based ships, remember the mediums move farther because of the size of their base and adjust the speed of your small ships accordingly.

It has been my experience that most players are biased to try to anticipate what the most logical move in any given situation will be, then plan their movement based on those assumptions. Use this to your advantage and seek out ways to do the unexpected. Predictability kills in this game, and doing just one key unexpected move can make a huge disruption in you opponent's game plan.

Use lures. Make your opponent think they should be focused on one threat while you sneak behind him with what he should actually be worried about. By the time they realize what you're up to, it is often too late.

Fly casual. But not too casual.

Sometimes the target lock is better for misdirection.

you could also just take Deadeye and keep everyone guessing.

You could, but that makes a focused launch really hard. Also you don't have to have a missile for TL.

When rolling for initiative at the start of the game, just roll one attack die and have the other player call "hits" or "misses". Eyeballs + blanks are misses and obviously hits + the crit are hits. This makes it basically like flipping a coin. Beats the hell outta "let's each roll 3 or 4 or 586756587 dice and add up eyeballs + hits + crits are 3 points or w/e ridiculousness some people seem to do.

When rolling for initiative at the start of the game, just roll one attack die and have the other player call "hits" or "misses". Eyeballs + blanks are misses and obviously hits + the crit are hits. This makes it basically like flipping a coin. Beats the hell outta "let's each roll 3 or 4 or 586756587 dice and add up eyeballs + hits + crits are 3 points or w/e ridiculousness some people seem to do.

Initiative is determined by how many points you spend, with ties going to the Empire.

Initiative is determined by how many points you spend, with ties going to the Empire.

Not in a tourney setting

http://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/110115-earning-your-wings-a-guide-for-understanding-movment/

Right there in the first post. The pictures make it easy to understand.

Gives you a very easy way to predict turns and banks.

Osoroshii likes this

http://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/110115-earning-your-wings-a-guide-for-understanding-movment/

Right there in the first post. The pictures make it easy to understand.

Gives you a very easy way to predict turns and banks.

Thank you for the advertising Rithrin! :)