Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Osoroshii

Wave 4: What it means for us and FFG

151 posts in this topic

I play a number of FFG games, both board and miniature, and I have to say....  they get it.  It looks to me like a company for gamers BY gamers.  Wave 4 just flat out looks to me like turning the meta on its ear without breaking anything.  Just my opinion, and I am by NO means a gaming expert, though.

Syleh Forge and Rakky Wistol like this

There WILL NOT be any prequel ships released for X-Wing. FFG only has the rights for OT, besides this game is based on the X-Wing/ TIE Fighter PC games which I don't count towards EU.

Disney is trying to erase all things prequel right now.

Is that fact or are you speculating?

He's speculating.  As noted, FFG has *already used* prequel stuff in their products.  Their RPG has Gungans and Toydarians and battle droids.  Heck, even THIS game has the Senator's Shuttle in the CORE SET - and that was from Episode 1.

Indeed, the only time the Z-95 appeared on-screen at all was during the CGI 'Clone Wars' TV series, so...

Yeah, the prequels are unquestionably *in*.

Still, FFG has stated that the time period of the game is 'the Rebellion Era', so I would personally NOT expect to see the Republic and Separatists as distinct factions.  It seems more likely to me that we just get some ships from that period in the future waves, as 'Clone Wars surplus' that are still in use.  (The Rebels would surely use any ARC-170s they could get their hands on, for example)

I wouldn't be to sure on no new factions. 2 waves of prequel would give them just about enough time for the new trilogy to drop some new ships if you also add in a rebel aces pack (1 Awing, 1 Ywing please), some repaints, and an Imperial War Machine pack with titles to turn the advanced into x2-7 and an avenger even; a few titles for some of the other tie variants; other upgrades usable for the interceptor too; maybe a really obscene dial; maybe a rear firing arc inset for the advanced. Fun stuff.

Eta-2, cloakscape,Nantex, naboo fighter, vulture droids, Arc-180, fanblade fighters, vwing, droid trifighter, kwing, sith intercepter, rogue class, scarab,aethersprite, hex, skipspray blastboat, Belbullab-22... More than 2 waves worth for sure.

I would at least like to see some prequel craft added to the game, if not entire factions.  The fighters from the prequels are probably my favorite things about them.

However, regarding your comment about Rebel Aces, I have read a lot of boards saying that the Rebel Transport expansion is basically a Rebel Aces equivalent.  It comes with four new unique X Wing pilots including Porkins and Janson.

The Rebel Transport explicitly comes with an X-Wing and in the original news item: "four new X-wing pilots, including Jek Porkins and Rebel ace Wes Janson."  They mention "Ace" specifically.  We have seen grainy images where there are four new X-Wing pilots shown with the RT.

Why are people caught up on the EU?  There is no EU.  There is only Star Wars Canon.  They are (or have) gotten rid of the concept of the EU all together.  There is just what is real and what is not.  Even if JJ wipes a lot of the Canon timeline out for episode 7 and starts a bunch of the story over (or at least what we think of as the former EU story), there is no reason to think he would want to re-design all the ships.  Why not use the stuff that's been created and maintain the look and feel, effectively for free?  That just makes good production and budget sense.  He can also add some things to it, but it's not like he has to remove TIE Defenders from ever existing for example.

CrookedWookie likes this

Hell yeah it does! Who needs FFG to do repaints , do it yourself . Staring at a squad of green A wings right now.

I do, I do... 

I know I picked this game up without knowing anything about it simply because it was Star Wars and the miniatures looked awesome. I had no prior miniature gaming experience. And even though this game is incredibly fun and exciting to play, if it wasn't Star Wars I wouldn't bother with it.

I gave up paint minis years ago.  I found I have neither the patience nor skill.  When I saw this game I thought it over and decided to purchase a few figures just because I liked the models.  I had no idea if I would play or if it was playable.  Now I'm hooked.  

So, for me at least, the main reason I got into the game is because of the painted and detailed miniatures.  If I had any grips at all it would be with the Aces.  Don't get me wrong I love the Aces and am planing on getting them.  But being on a tight budget I feel I've over spent on my interceptors.  That bothers me a little since it kind of feels like I've wasted money for extra models.  I would have gotten the interceptors but not 4 (four) of them.  Now I'll have two that I feel I just wasted money on; I just wish I had known what was coming.  Should I wait on the E95 and Defender now and only buy one to wait and see what happens?

Getting back, keep up the good work Fantasy Flight.  I enjoy the game and love the miniatures.

Why not use the stuff that's been created and maintain the look and feel, effectively for free?

Because a lot of it isn't very good.  If they have a bunch of really good designers they can probably (hopefully) come up with some much better designs.

The Rebel Transport explicitly comes with an X-Wing and in the original news item: "four new X-wing pilots, including Jek Porkins and Rebel ace Wes Janson."  They mention "Ace" specifically.  We have seen grainy images where there are four new X-Wing pilots shown with the RT.

Why are people caught up on the EU?  There is no EU.  There is only Star Wars Canon.  They are (or have) gotten rid of the concept of the EU all together.  There is just what is real and what is not.  Even if JJ wipes a lot of the Canon timeline out for episode 7 and starts a bunch of the story over (or at least what we think of as the former EU story), there is no reason to think he would want to re-design all the ships.  Why not use the stuff that's been created and maintain the look and feel, effectively for free?  That just makes good production and budget sense.  He can also add some things to it, but it's not like he has to remove TIE Defenders from ever existing for example.

Ok fair enough - I forgot the news item did use the word 'ace' in there somewhere.  And I wasn't trying to single out anyone specifically; I've just seen two rumors exploding all over the place that I've had trouble attributing.  The Transport is a 'Rebel aces equivalent,' and 'the game is moving to more than 100 points for standard play.'

Everyone seems to be claiming they heard these someplace, but nobody seems to actually be able to point out WHERE.

Heh yeah that would be as silly as him randomly redesigning Klingons or something.   :lol:

stegocent likes this

I don't understand why some people think they don't like EU, if FF didn't use any EU stuff we would only have named pilots for the falcon, X-wing, Slave 1,and the tie advanced!!!

Not entirely true, vast majority of the pilots on every ship have at least appeared in one of the OT movies, if not having had any lines.  Any scene where there are a number of pilots in the hangar prepping, all of those characters are named.  Most of what we know about them is EU, but they are there in the movies.  Notable exceptions are Turr and Soontir, Maarek Steele, one or two others, besides the EU ships.

The bigger question is whether Disney will let FFG keep the license once it's up.

Does anyone know offhand how long they have the licence for?

I don't know why anyone is concerned about this.  They've got one more RPG, in the pipe, the LCG, the miniatures game, a steady stream of expansions for each, god knows what else they're working on.  I don't think the license is going anywhere any time soon.

The bigger question is whether Disney will let FFG keep the license once it's up.

I don't know why anyone is concerned about this.  They've got one more RPG, in the pipe, the LCG, the miniatures game, a steady stream of expansions for each, god knows what else they're working on.  I don't think the license is going anywhere any time soon.

Be careful about liscence speculation. I was heavily involved with the older Star Wars Miniatures game from Wizards, and when the liscence dropped, we were under the impression that they were working on several new sets for the game. The original game designer had just been replaced by the one who had worked on DnD Minis, and they had just put out a set, and another one had been spoiled, then suddenly the announcement dropped that the game was over after the set they were spoiling came out.

As much as I want FFG to always have the liscence (as they are stars above my favorite game company) and to always produce this game, I know that's an impossibility, so I refuse to be dissapointed when the liscence leaves their hands.

I am concerned as a licence is only good for a certain amount of time, and once it expires then FF cannot make any more SW games unless they reacquire the licence. The fact that Disney disbanded LucasArts has me very worried :( 

Well it shouldn't have you worried, because LucasArts made video games, and Lucasfilm Limited, which owns the Star Wars property as a whole, was purchased by Disney but is still very much alive and in business.

Actually if anything it should have you less worried.  The reason they disbanded LucasArts is that it was cheaper and more cost effective to farm out the production of future Star Wars games (and other properties) to third party companies who are still making cutting edge games.  LucasArts wasn't up to the task, and Disney's ties with different companies in that industry made it much simpler for them to fold up LucasArts and go a different direction.

That's already been done with most of the non-video-game licenses, such as FFG making the LCG, X-Wing, the new line of roleplaying games.  LucasArts closed because they didn't want to develop that stuff in house anymore.  The business model FFG already has up and running with a number of the Star Wars licenses is exactly what they're now trying to accomplish in the realm of video games - they were already farming out most of that stuff anyway (see SWTOR).  

There would have to be some powerfully compelling reasons for them to abandon a moneymaking franchise like the X-Wing miniatures game (just to name one), and go to the time and expense of trying to grind that to a halt and then set up shop somewhere else.

Edited by CrookedWookie

I'm under the impression it tends to be a 5 year license. But, until Disney acquires a company that will make games like the ones FFG is making, I'm not too worried. If they did own a company that makes RPGs and Collectible Games, then yeah, FFG's license would be toast. Just look at Dark Horse with their decades long history with LFL. Disney likes things in house. And really, there were warning signs with WOTC dropping the signs. I know I ignored them, since it seemed to be a stupid idea to drop it. And I do foresee a FFG wanting to stick with the license for a while, since X-wing is a such a huge hit.

And really, Lucasarts was a different situation. To call it a shell of it's former self would be a complement. What they did, was put it out of it's misery.

CrookedWookie likes this

I don't understand why some people think they don't like EU, if FF didn't use any EU stuff we would only have named pilots for the falcon, X-wing, Slave 1,and the tie advanced!!!

Not entirely true, vast majority of the pilots on every ship have at least appeared in one of the OT movies, if not having had any lines.  Any scene where there are a number of pilots in the hangar prepping, all of those characters are named.  Most of what we know about them is EU, but they are there in the movies.  Notable exceptions are Turr and Soontir, Maarek Steele, one or two others, besides the EU ships.

These pilots may have appeared in the films but were never named, their names come from the EU material not the films them selves. 

Take Garven Dreis for example, he only gets called red leader in CHAPTER IV SW:ANH. He may have lines in the film but he has no name. 

Any one hating on the EU is just being silly and kidding themselves, the EU makes up 90% of any SW game. If the haters cannot accept this then they should go and enjoy their time with Jar Jar :P

Edited by stegocent
Engine25 likes this

I was really into star wars minis as well, and was seriously bummed when the game died overnight. I have well over a thousand minis from that game and it started out great. IMHO, they got greedy, the quality of the minis went way down, power creep became rampant, several figures were made obsolete by newer, more powerful versions, etc. So while I still like to play, we pretty much always use the first 3 sets, and I never bother to introduce someone new to the game, because they cannot buy their own figs. Am I in the ball park about why their lisence went away? From what you r saying, this game will face the same ultimate fate. I hope you r wrong. Getting tired of stacking up dead star wars games. See also, star ship battles

Rakky Wistol likes this

WOTC didn't lose the license. They gave it up. A big difference. And honestly, the quality of miniatures in the last few sets, on average, went up. Wizards was just getting ready to shrink and focus only on D&D and Magic.

Rakky Wistol likes this

I'm under the impression it tends to be a 5 year license. But, until Disney acquires a company that will make games like the ones FFG is making, I'm not too worried. If they did own a company that makes RPGs and Collectible Games, then yeah, FFG's license would be toast. Just look at Dark Horse with their decades long history with LFL. Disney likes things in house. And really, there were warning signs with WOTC dropping the signs. I know I ignored them, since it seemed to be a stupid idea to drop it. And I do foresee a FFG wanting to stick with the license for a while, since X-wing is a such a huge hit.

And really, Lucasarts was a different situation. To call it a shell of it's former self would be a complement. What they did, was put it out of it's misery.

A good example would be Disney announcing that they were moving the Star Wars comic book license from Dark Horse (who by all accounts has done a phenomenal job with it) over to Marvel.  This makes all kinds of sense for them.  Marvel is an even bigger operation, already up and running, with a bigger budget and more exposure.  It also opens the door for all kinds of crazy tie-ins or anything they might eventually want to do.

I think they're making Star Wars stuff for Disney Infinity, in addition to Marvel Infinity.  Say they wanted to do a comic book adaptation that crosses over all these different franchises.  If Dark Horse owns the rights to all Star Wars comic books, and they want to do an Infinity comic book that includes their Star Wars Infinity stuff, that gets problematic.  Move it in under the Disney umbrella, and if just clears a lot of hurdles for them even though I think they were thrilled with how Dark Horse treated the Star Wars license over the years.

Most of FFG's Star Wars stuff just really doesn't seem to apply.  There have been CCGs before, the the LCG is a proven model that a lot of other companies are now blatantly copying, and the Star Wars one is a beast.  Lots of RPGs out there, but I can't think of another company putting out the kind of consistent quality that FFG does - hell, Games Workshop took the RPG rights for Warhammer AWAY from someone and gave it to FFG, who now does all of the Games Workshop property RPGs.  There are other miniatures companies out there, and there have been stabs at Star Wars tabletop space combat before, but none have been the kind of crossover phenomenon that X-Wing has become, drawing in gamers and Star Wars fans from all fronts.  

As protective as they are of their license and image, you think they're going to shut down X-Wing and farm it out to WizKids or something?  Especially knowing that FFG owns the FlightPath system, presumably wouldn't give it to them for a new Star Wars miniatures game, and would undoubtedly turn around and use it to put out a new Battlefleet Gothic game or something nuts.  They're certainly not going to give it to Games Workshop, who are a mess these days, managing their own properties.

Anyway it's just not worth worrying about.  What are you going to do if the license does expire and not get renewed?  Do you think there's anything you can do to prevent it if they decide they can make more millions elsewhere?  The game is here now, it's hot, they seem to be rolling and coming out with new stuff all the time, enjoy the ride.

Darthfish likes this

I'm already seeing the line in the sand for some players. As this wave extends beyond what a casual fan knows(I.e. From the movies). Until the new movies from Disney come out, FFG has provided all the original ships from the classic movies. The well is dry for these ships minus repaints. The extended universe gives FFG an almost an unlimited life for this game. If a large enough people turn their nose up at this wave an all EU wave, it could hold a stop sign for future UE waves. This would push FFG in making wave after wave of repaints, of existing ships. If the game continues to sell like it is, hold on tight to your wallets. This will mean we all dive deep into the Extened Universe of Star Wars. I hope the few people drawing the line in sand will find value in these new ships and pick up a few. I would love to see this game go on for years and years.

The well isn't dry, as the OP put it.  There are original Star Wars items that could still be brought into the fold.  With the two big Rebel ships on the horizon... we've got to expect a Star Destroyer (or two) in the near future.  Also, with the new game mats I think we'll see a new game type.  Something like the Death Star could be a a situation battle and be represented by a game mat.  Different types of static miniatures could be created to place on the Death Star (like blaster, ion, and turbo turrets and cannons).

Honestly, I could totally see FFG creating a new core kit centered around the Death Star in this manor.