Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Osoroshii

Wave 4: What it means for us and FFG

151 posts in this topic

I'm still going to only play exclusively empire, no matter the stats.

We all have our favorites but why would you only play Empire (or Rebels  for that matter)?  Its like eating only one flavor of ice cream or watching only Disney movies.

At the very least... the better you know your enemy, the better you can defeat your enemy.  And, the best way to learn your enemy's strengths and weaknesses...

Just seems kinda limiting but to each their own.

Chris

True, true, makes sense

As long as they keep producing pieces I'l keep buying. The Z95 and Phantom are not my favorites of the next expansion. A have no desire to run a Rebel swarm and I don;t no how much different the Phantom can be compared to other Imperial ships already available. The big one is the Defender which I feel will be a game changer and it will be interesting to see if the E-wing can compete..

the points costs are to high for the tie phantoim and the defender i mena thats crazy 25p as SKill 3 phantom and skill 1 defender 30 points thats more then untypical empire. making the phantom evade 2 ? lol that thing is ***** fast and agile why not evade 3 ? well iam kinda disapointed in these new tie`s -.- then giving rebels a lvl 8 pilot with points cost of 19 ? ( z 95 headhunter) it looks like we are changing roles from swarmpire to nonpire.

i really hope that these arent the final stats with point costs cause i want to fly atleast and evne buy 3 of each types but with that high costs il stick with 1 per tie. dont screw up the tie agressor and the other tie variants !!! thx k bye !"

I wouldn't worry about it.

There WILL NOT be any prequel ships released for X-Wing. FFG only has the rights for OT, besides this game is based on the X-Wing/ TIE Fighter PC games which I don't count towards EU.

Disney is trying to erase all things prequel right now.

FFG's "OT-only rights" is a myth that was busted, so you are wrong about that. Their cooperation with LFL gives them a pretty far reach. They've used stuff from the prequel trilogies already, in addition to multiple other video games and print sources.

... Also the number of people who will see Star Wars and push the buy button is much larger than the number of current players who will "pass" on "non-canon" ships.

Push, push, push, push, push, push, push, push, push, push, push, push, push, push, push, push, push.

I have been a SW obsessed kid since I saw SW:ANH at a drive-in with my parents in 1978 at the tender age of 3.....and then again with my mom and her friend from work (I actually remember this showing!)......

Now I am still a 38 year old SW obsessed fan.....

I think if the models are still looking as awesome as they are now....sales will not be an issue.....the mechanics are awesome and the game is FUN!

I think the addition of the EU ships could have draw more people into the EU material...

Edited by Stonedog
Darthfish and SierraKiloBravo like this

I'm already seeing the line in the sand for some players. As this wave extends beyond what a casual fan knows(I.e. From the movies). Until the new movies from Disney come out, FFG has provided all the original ships from the classic movies. The well is dry for these ships minus repaints. The extended universe gives FFG an almost an unlimited life for this game. If a large enough people turn their nose up at this wave an all EU wave, it could hold a stop sign for future UE waves. This would push FFG in making wave after wave of repaints, of existing ships. If the game continues to sell like it is, hold on tight to your wallets. This will mean we all dive deep into the Extened Universe of Star Wars. I hope the few people drawing the line in sand will find value in these new ships and pick up a few. I would love to see this game go on for years and years.

All I know about Star Wars is from the six movies. Up until now I've not been interested in the X-Wing game. But I really like the E-Wings and find myself drawn towards taking an interest in the miniatures.

Could an interest in miniatures mean an interest in the game?

Perhaps.

Osoroshii and Darthfish like this

I'm already seeing the line in the sand for some players. As this wave extends beyond what a casual fan knows(I.e. From the movies). Until the new movies from Disney come out, FFG has provided all the original ships from the classic movies. The well is dry for these ships minus repaints. The extended universe gives FFG an almost an unlimited life for this game. If a large enough people turn their nose up at this wave an all EU wave, it could hold a stop sign for future UE waves. This would push FFG in making wave after wave of repaints, of existing ships. If the game continues to sell like it is, hold on tight to your wallets. This will mean we all dive deep into the Extened Universe of Star Wars. I hope the few people drawing the line in sand will find value in these new ships and pick up a few. I would love to see this game go on for years and years.

All I know about Star Wars is from the six movies. Up until now I've not been interested in the X-Wing game. But I really like the E-Wings and find myself drawn towards taking an interest in the miniatures.

Perhaps.

I know I picked this game up without knowing anything about it simply because it was Star Wars and the miniatures looked awesome. I had no prior miniature gaming experience. And even though this game is incredibly fun and exciting to play, if it wasn't Star Wars I wouldn't bother with it.

Digitalkiller likes this

These ships are fantastic! It is going to be great for the game and we should all embrace them. As for your wallet, they committed to draining it when this game first went beyond their initial expectations and initial print runs! Not speaking to the ships themselves but to the fact they will exist, this brings more options to a game where  both the competitor and the casual player alike will find a lot of fun, and fun is the point really. Just depends on what is fun for you?

Big applause to FFG! The game is taking shape nicely and you are taking us ALL along for the ride!

Can't wait to have these ships

(PS: Call Battlefoam and get them making foam to hold all these! LOL)

Osoroshii and ErrantKknight like this

Perhaps.

Run now, before you get sucked in!  Save your wallet!  Once you go down this path, there is no turning back...

Yes, you will get in for a cool mini, but you'll stay for the awesome overall experience.  This is truly a great game.

Roy Stone likes this

I couldn't even get my HWK's for a few months after they were released because my LGS didn't have enough to grant me my pre-order upon release. Maybe it will cut a little into their profits, but I can't see this having enough effect on their profits to stop the game. 

Also, it may be in their best interest to focus mostly on re-supplying the old stuff in the second half of 2014. Can't get new players into the game if you don't sell any more core sets.

I have been a SW obsessed kid since I saw SW:ANH at a drive-in with my parents in 1978 at the tender age of 3.....and then again with my mom and her friend from work (I actually remember this showing!)......

Now I am still a 38 year old SW obsessed fan.....

I think if the models are still looking as awesome as they are now....sales will not be an issue.....the mechanics are awesome and the game is FUN!

I think the addition of the EU ships could have draw more people into the EU material...

This guy knows stuff about things and I wholeheartedly subscribe to this.

Perhaps.

Run now, before you get sucked in!  Save your wallet!  Once you go down this path, there is no turning back...

Yes, you will get in for a cool mini, but you'll stay for the awesome overall experience.  This is truly a great game.

If you're trying to put me off you're not doing a very good job.

There WILL NOT be any prequel ships released for X-Wing. FFG only has the rights for OT, besides this game is based on the X-Wing/ TIE Fighter PC games which I don't count towards EU.

Don't you mean Disney is trying to cash in on all things prequel right now? I'm pretty sure the license is much more than the trilogy, we already have several ships that nver appeared on screen in te original 3. Erase clone wars! Ha! You must not know many 8-12 year olds who grew up on it. Thems THEE target for Disney.

Is that fact or are you speculating?

He's speculating.  As noted, FFG has *already used* prequel stuff in their products.  Their RPG has Gungans and Toydarians and battle droids.  Heck, even THIS game has the Senator's Shuttle in the CORE SET - and that was from Episode 1.

Indeed, the only time the Z-95 appeared on-screen at all was during the CGI 'Clone Wars' TV series, so...

Yeah, the prequels are unquestionably *in*.

Still, FFG has stated that the time period of the game is 'the Rebellion Era', so I would personally NOT expect to see the Republic and Separatists as distinct factions.  It seems more likely to me that we just get some ships from that period in the future waves, as 'Clone Wars surplus' that are still in use.  (The Rebels would surely use any ARC-170s they could get their hands on, for example)

Edited by xanderf

One other thing wave 4 portends is a 10pt fighter for the empire. I'm betting on a 10pt droid fighter.

Evade, barrel roll, droid only upgrade. No stress and a crazy dial.

Whether or not it is a prequel droid or not is the surprise.

He's speculating.  As noted, FFG has *already used* prequel stuff in their products.  Their RPG has Gungans and Toydarians and battle droids.  Heck, even THIS game has the Senator's Shuttle in the CORE SET - and that was from Episode 1.

Indeed, the only time the Z-95 appeared on-screen at all was during the CGI 'Clone Wars' TV series, so...

Still, FFG has stated that the time period of the game is 'the Rebellion Era', so I would personally NOT expect to see the Republic and Separatists as distinct factions.  It seems more likely to me that we just get some ships from that period in the future waves, as 'Clone Wars surplus' that are still in use.  (The Rebels would surely use any ARC-170s they could get their hands on, for example)

That's a point - I recently acquired a baby Nexu in Edge of the Empire :)

I wouldn't be to sure on no new factions. 2 waves of prequel would give them just about enough time for the new trilogy to drop some new ships if you also add in a rebel aces pack (1 Awing, 1 Ywing please), some repaints, and an Imperial War Machine pack with titles to turn the advanced into x2-7 and an avenger even; a few titles for some of the other tie variants; other upgrades usable for the interceptor too; maybe a really obscene dial; maybe a rear firing arc inset for the advanced. Fun stuff.

Eta-2, cloakscape,Nantex, naboo fighter, vulture droids, Arc-180, fanblade fighters, vwing, droid trifighter, kwing, sith intercepter, rogue class, scarab,aethersprite, hex, skipspray blastboat, Belbullab-22... More than 2 waves worth for sure.

I have no interest in the EU.

Does this mean i won't buy the new stuff?  If it turns out there are some good upgrades in there, i might still buy them :D

The headhunter i will probably buy, as i already love the miniature, the E wing too. They are different enough from the others.

The TIE' s i don't like, and will probably steer clear of those. Unless they contain good upgrades!

My point being, if you start to get clear of the original (and thus widely known) ships from the films, some (purist) people might still be persuaded to buy them, but probably for other reasons, like coolness of the miniature, of playability of the cards.

There are a number of Star Wars fans who won't bother with things like E-Wings and Tie Phantoms. 

But there are few X-Wing Miniatures players who won't get them just because they're from the EU.  Most of us are Star Wars fans as well as miniature game players, with some being more one or the other.  Sure a lot of people play this game because it's Star Wars, and got into the game for that same reason.

But anyone who gamer as much as a SW fan will look at these ships and get them because of what they offer to the game play, and the fact that they're EU ships is a secondary reason if it's a factor at all.

Now that the Expanded Universe is coming en masse, I'm more invested in this game than ever before. The TIE Phantom represents a super-important moment in my childhood and you can bet on me running a full squadron of them. Maybe with a Lambda-shuttle that I'll call Epsilon Four... 

Rakky Wistol likes this

The ships are all great concepts too.  A Rebel missile carrying swarm.  A Rebel maneuverable droid sensor combo.  An Imperial heavy fighter with three shields, large weapon and missiles and some sort of evade maneuver.  And an Imperial stealthy crew sensor ship with a 4 base attack.  All very foreign to what is currently out there, plus some new upgrade cards.  And more advanced sensors cards.  This is a lot to absorb.  But it won't be boring.  Add in a couple of huge ships with all sorts of new capabilities and some new X-Wing and Interceptor pilots.  Wow.  This isn't you parent's X-Wing.

Anyone skipping any of these new ships based on rigid fluff principles is really missing out.  How do we show them the light without offending their sense of that which is Star Wars?  Actually, as long as the game stays balanced, I guess it all works out no matter what ships you skip.  To each their own, then.

P.S.  I can't wait to dig into all this new stuff.  This is going to be fun.  I am also thinking we're getting to the point where scenarios that dictate the squads will be fun, since they can force variety and unusual pairings.  I hope FFG is working on something like this, for Cinematic play, although that sounds more like it will stick with the non-EU ships.