Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pbpancho

Wave 5 speculation

153 posts in this topic

Anyone had enough of Ties and Wings yet?

After the E-Wing, the only -wing that I would consider worthy is the V-Wing from the prequels.

I am a big lover of the EU and the creations but I am not sold on some of the made up ships from some games and books.

Slave 2 could be a decent addition in the future.

Edited by Obi Juan Kenobi

Anyone had enough of Ties and Wings yet?

After the E-Wing, the only -wing that I would consider worthy is the V-Wing from the prequels.

I am a big lover of the EU and the creations but I am not sold on some of the made up ships from some games and books.

Slave 2 could be a decent addition in the future.

Yeah I'm wanting Skip Rays and Assault boats for Imperials next wave..

YT-2400 for Rebels definitely, wouldn't be against a V-Wing.

tag - this speculation thread was the first and therefore should get used over all other 'late to the party' speculation threads :)

would be cool if ppl could post up pics of possible ships or at least a small description of what they think it will do in this game ;)

that way us 'non-UE-experts' can see what the heck these shiny new ships are like.

Nothing specifically against the Outrider, but I think something a little less similar to the YT-1300 would be good.  I'm not a huge fan of the Sorosuub staryacht, but with 2 major named ships in the class already, I think it might be a good inclusion.  For a large Imperial ship, I would LOVE to see a skipray.  It would be a great answer for them to the rebel capital ships as well.

Small ship wise...the TIE droid might be interesting, but I'm not sure it would offer anything that the standard TIE doesn't already.  The Preybird at least has something different about it...rear-facing concussion missile launcher?  Interesting.  It's pretty obscure though and not really immediately recognizable as "Imperial."  I could potentially see that TIE with a turret too, possibly.

As for the rebels, the K-wing is fairly distinct from what they have already.  I believe that was a fairly large ship too though, and it suffers from obscurity. 

Rakky Wistol likes this

I am a big fan of the T16, and according to Wookieepedia it works in upper/ thin atmosphere/ space. Any other takers? not sure what the stats would be, but I would guess a fast ship with poor turning ability and low agility, possibly a cheap, fast ship with 2/2/3/0. not sure it would get played or even if there are anyother proponents of its addition, but I'm a fan. Any takers? what would it be if you added it to the game?

Don't forget the special ability of all ewok pilots, 

Asphyxiate: When flown in space, pilot dies immediately. Player is allowed to make cute death noise.

In space, no one can hear you scream...

Ideally I'd like wave 4 to be a new prequel/clone wars expansion.  It would have it's own starter pack with 2 new factions: republic and confederacy.  It could be used for people who just want to play that era, or played against the current game which would allow for 4 separate factions.  Along with the starter pack they should do 4 boosters right away like they did with xwing originally.  Two should be the ships in the starter pack, and then 2 new ships so 4 total.

Probably N-1 and vulture droid for the starter as they're the most recognizable. Boosters could have a variety of choices.

But if they go fully EU again, I guess do the following:

Rebel - Outrider and Skipray Blastboat

Imperial - Assault Gunboat and Missile Boat

Rakky Wistol likes this

WAVE 5??

With wave 4 we will get all "The End Of The Food Chain"-Fighters already.

Leaving the TIE Avenger, the Gunboat, the Missile Boat, several Bounty Hunters, several Frighter/Smugglers/Freelancers ...

And WTF is Ethan shooting at??? Is this a hint? A third faction ship?

etahn-abaht.png

Nice, I didn't notice that before! Look like an early Mig, could be the third faction is the Russians .

NotBatman likes this

WAVE 5??

Leaving the TIE Avenger, the Gunboat, the Missile Boat, several Bounty Hunters, several Frighter/Smugglers/Freelancers ...

etahn-abaht.png

Nice, I didn't notice that before! Look like an early Mig, could be the third faction is the Russians .

In Soviet Empire, Force uses YOU!

A'baht's inclusion in an E-Wing might lend some credence to the possibility of a K-Wing next time around.

I wouldn't mind the Outrider, but I will rage quit if they make a Lady Luck. Stupidest ship ever.

WAVE 5??

etahn-abaht.png

In Soviet Empire, Force uses YOU!

Looks a bit like a MiG 1.44, actually.

Outrider, IG2000, Hound's Tooth, Mist Runner, and Spaceball 1

I for one would LOVE to see bounty hunters/pirates/etc split into their own faction, there's plenty of ships at all size categories, hell, with Uglies you could have a nigh-infinite number of models.

YT-2400 (Rebels)

- It provides them a second 'medium' ship, while the Empire already has two (and a third, if they ever get the Skipray)

- It is iconic...one of the few real attempts to spin up Star Wars franchising between the movie eras was the 'Shadows of the Empire' multi-media event.  Books, soundtracks, PC and video games, the first new Star Wars toy releases in a LONG time, etc.  And in the center of all of that, the YT-2400.

- It would be materially different from the YT-1300 we have, now.  No 360-turret, for one!  The 180-degree arc it has, instead, would be a first for the game system.  And it'd be a Rebel 'medium' cannon-carrier, so...some cool stuff, here!

Skipray Blastboat (Empire)

- I would have said this was a pretty long shot before the announcement of the Rebel Transport and Corellian Corvette, but...well, the Empire has got to have SOMETHING to throw against those beasts aside from a swarm of tiny fighters.  Slave-1s can do it, but it hardly seems thematic to have a half dozen of those on the board.  Somewhat ditto with the Imperial Shuttle.  Another 'medium' ship for the Empire that is a dedicated capital-ship-killer would make sense given these other releases.

- It would also provide the Empire with their first (only?) 360-turreted ship, something the Empire is so far lacking.

XG-1 Assault Gunboat (Empire)

- Another option vs the TIE Bomber as a missile carrier for the Empire.  The key with this would be that it retains enough kick after expending its missile payload that it can still stay in the fight.  (While a TIE Bomber drops in usefulness quite a lot due to its combination of not-quite-ideal maneuverability and lower primary attack)

...got nothing as a guess for the second Rebel ship, though.  R-41 or T-Wing might work fine, I suppose.  But I'm not really sure where they'd fit in the lineup...Z-95 gives the Rebels a REAL cheap swarmer.  A-Wing steps in when you still want inexpensive, but want to maneuver.  If you need to amp up the firepower, you've got the X-Wing...etc.

evanger and aadh like this

Nothing specifically against the Outrider, but I think something a little less similar to the YT-1300 would be good.  I'm not a huge fan of the Sorosuub staryacht, but with 2 major named ships in the class already, I think it might be a good inclusion.  For a large Imperial ship, I would LOVE to see a skipray.  It would be a great answer for them to the rebel capital ships as well.

Small ship wise...the TIE droid might be interesting, but I'm not sure it would offer anything that the standard TIE doesn't already.  The Preybird at least has something different about it...rear-facing concussion missile launcher?  Interesting.  It's pretty obscure though and not really immediately recognizable as "Imperial."  I could potentially see that TIE with a turret too, possibly.

As for the rebels, the K-wing is fairly distinct from what they have already.  I believe that was a fairly large ship too though, and it suffers from obscurity.

I like the Kwing too. I got one off shapeways and its awesome. I would love to see real "medium" ships. Ones that are two small bases wide (kwing) and 2 long (senator's shuttle, others). Definitely add new tactics and maneuvers and dimensions to play.

If they do the Outrider which honestly seems like the most logical next big ship for Rebels then they need to do the Virago Star-Viper to go against it and that's a ship I'd LOVE to see.

P1050733.JPG

Audio Weasel likes this

I think there are enough ships to do two more good EU waves.

Wave 5 (Shadows of the Empire wave)

YT-2400 "Outrider"

R-41 Starchaser

StarViper "Virago"

Aggressor Assault Fighter "IG-2000"

Wave 6
K-Wing
T-Wing

Skipray Blastboat
XG-1 Starwing Assault Gunboat

After that, they can probably do two or three prequel waves. Then we'd have to go into stuff from the new movies ... or stuff from Knights of the Old Republic, haha.