Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Paladin132

Skills given twice?

13 posts in this topic

When you make a character you get to select 4 free ranks of career skills and two of the bonus skills with each specialization.  If the skill is repeated in both you can take up to rank 2 at creation for free.  Droids are 6 and 3.

joakim.kanjo likes this

Wait no cost, or you can use two of the four skill picks? Does anyone have a page number? 

No cost in XP. You have to use one of the four Career free picks and one of the two Specialization free picks on the same skill. Optionally, one free pick (from either Career or Specialization) and the free rank from a Species-granted skill can be used to get there too.

You're welcome.

Tangent: There is one other possibility that is currently only available with the Corellian Human. They get a free rank in either Piloting (Planetary) or Piloting (Space). If they have both a Career and a Specialization that grants the chosen Piloting skill, they are explicitly allowed to stack all three ranks and start with that skill at rank 3.

Heh thanks again... I was thinking about doing that. I am experimenting with some character concepts to see how they can be built with this system. 

Probably the wrong place, but what would a seasoned character look like do we think in XP? 

It's really hard to say. Depends a lot on career. More dice and upgrades are good but hits a limit of how good with diminishing returns for costs. Then it's Talents that really make or break. I find ones that give Boost more useful than ones that take away Setback, except for piloting when you have a negative Handling modifier. The special action stuff is really hit or miss.

In my last game we hit 400 XP. Those characters either had almost completed one talent tree or had moderate progress on two and had most career skills at rank 1 or 2 with a few at rank 3 (one character had one skill at rank 4). With one exception, my players created rounded characters instead of hyper-specialized builds, so at 400 XP they felt very competent (or seasoned) but not overpowered and still had plenty of room for growth.

kaosoe and Crimson Death like this

Heh thanks again... I was thinking about doing that. I am experimenting with some character concepts to see how they can be built with this system. 

Probably the wrong place, but what would a seasoned character look like do we think in XP? 

Nice thing about the system is you can really just focus on who you want your character to be without having to be pigeonholed into a specific career.  Careers can provide focus but they aren't an absolute.  Like you want to cast fireballs you have to be a magic user.  In this you can be an outlaw tech and throw extra xp at Ranged(L) and be a two gun packin outlaw tech.  It's more open.  Careers make their associated skills cheaper but not exclusive. 

Paladin132, progressions and kaosoe like this

Page 34 under the heading "Select Character Career."  It took out group an hour to find it.  Bottom right column, page 34.

In Age of Rebellion, it's on the substantively identical page under the same heading.