Sign in to follow this  
Rakky Wistol

Developing List: A Scarlet Cowgirl

Welcome to the Hipposhuttlebus driver union...Er... I mean the darkside.

My tie set up is usually stacked in the middle. Round 1 is almost always a bank 3 and a barrel roll back to get a good angle on something. If they cut one way or the other he ties can cover it but going angled at first keeps you from getting flanked. A bank back lets you straighten back up, a turn getsyou angled the other direction, and if they rush you can kturn and be at an angle looking back and completetly out of thier arcs. Just remember to keep enough distance in your stack to accomodate banks. 2.5 distance is also just a good distance away. Unless they are rushing straight at you as fast as possible the biggies should be able to shoot and flank immediately.

yeah nice tactic. angle away with bank3 and barrel roll further away and slightly back to set u up for  either a K-Turn if they r rushing or you can angle back with something like a 2 sharp turn setting u up for long rang shots on the approaching enemy as ur big ships engage (one flanking and hopefully out of enemy arcs). its a good plan and one that allows flexility to change vectors if they split off into two forces or do something a bit unexpected :)

Thanks for the welcome, Rakky Wistol. I can't wait until I earn my HDL (Hipposhuttlemus Driver's License). I hear the benefits are a lot better, too. :)

And thanks to you and Brown Bomber for sharing some great strategy tips. I think I'll definitely be able to hit the ground running with this squad.

It took a while for Rebel Captive to grow on me but it has. its  a superb addition to Kath making her a ship ur opponent will pay a cost to attack early in the game... the combined threat of her attacking u and giving out additional stress if u cancel a crit is often enough to stop most ships attacking her altogether!

Yeah, I think this combo (Kath and Rebel Captive) is what sold me on giving this squad a try. But, the buzzsaw hipposhuttlemus and it's multiple attack options with FCS and Gunner is pretty sweet. It's a nice one-two punch.

Heh, heh, heh! :lol:

oh it is for sure. they work well in tandem (Shuttlebus + Firespray), u actually want them to take out the shuttle b4 the firespray so thats why rebel captive works so well in this squad - its a constant deterrent and annoyance, especially to rebel ships that typically have a hard time shredding stress - take a look at the B-Wings movement dial - there is a lot of red arrows! this means kath is going to do a number on them if they get stressed - sure they can opt for a green move but thats not what they want to do - Kaths ability to barrel roll out of arcs and shoot backwards is AMAZING - you have so many movement options with her that cause them fits letting you hit and run, move out of their arcs or set up a killing shot where they cant return fire :)

Edited by The_Brown_Bomber

Bomber, what I tried that worked well for me is that, because of how mobile the firespray is with this list, I raced it down the side as fast as it could go to make my opponent deal with it first. Expert handling is such a great bit of extra movement that after one turn of Kath flanking they had to devote time to her. Granted my opponent made the mistake of targeting the shuttle first, but I believe in my limited time with this list that Kath needs to be seen as the ship to take out. Stalling with the academy pilots has helped with my games.

Just my experience with it

Bomber, what I tried that worked well for me is that, because of how mobile the firespray is with this list, I raced it down the side as fast as it could go to make my opponent deal with it first. Expert handling is such a great bit of extra movement that after one turn of Kath flanking they had to devote time to her. Granted my opponent made the mistake of targeting the shuttle first, but I believe in my limited time with this list that Kath needs to be seen as the ship to take out. Stalling with the academy pilots has helped with my games.

Just my experience with it

thats interesting feedback. to beat this list u should go for Kath first. without her the shuttle can be flanked more easily and the tie-fighters while a real annoyance are not nearly as good with kath gone as more attention can be devoted to them limiting their flanking abilities. Summary - if kath dies early on as the 1st or 2nd casualty you are in trouble. in the worst case scenario she will sustain heavy damage and have to fly defensively most likely taking long range shots from her rear arc.

i fly kath like a tanky tie-fighter, using her superior movement dial to get ships in bad positions and barrel rolling/hitting the accelerator when she is in danger of getting flanked. That PS7 really shines against mid-range ships as u can just wait and pick the best time to barrel roll after seeing where they move to, just watch out for blockers when u are approaching head-on... she is more likely to get a free shot when moving away from them and shooting out the rear.

I have been taking to heart the idea of building a list that's flexible enough to beat this list, while maintaining a good enough balance to deal with the many other lists floating around.

On that note, I love the feedback from everyone, it's making this a fun list to experiment with.

First, I want you guys to know that I ended up buying a video camera. I'll look into making strategy and tactics videos as recommended.

Second, I just want to mention that, amazingly, I have more Likes than Posts! Woo!

Now, as for important stuff.

I disagree with Bomber's tactical setup for the initial game slightly.

Here's how I recommend:

Set the two Academies in the middle. This allows them to rapidly engage and act as a tasty lure. Setup the shuttle on one flank, whichever has be more advantageous asteroid placement. The Lambda can really, really move so this allows you to engage the enemy quickly regardless of their choice of setup. This mirrors his recommendation. However, I don't automatically put Kath on the opposite side. Putting her out like that risks here being blitzed if the enemy is across from her or in the middle. An aggressive opponent will do just this. Instead, I tend to put her with my shuttle.

This way, if they are across from the TIEs, Kath can bank in slowly while the alabaster solar kangaroo moves rapidly to arc in. The TIEs move slowly. This means that your force will be hitting them from three sides. If they setup across from the Lambda, the TIEs should move fast and arc in to flank. Just before contact, hard turn Kath into the side to hit the enemy with her rear gun (and disrupt their plans) while the snowy void bison moves slowly to prolong engagement. If they setup on the far corner, arc slowly towards them with the TIEs, rapidly with the Lambda, and moderately with the Firespray to form a wide skirmish line.

I have more to say but not the time. Tomorrow I'll try to respond in more detail. :)

First, I want you guys to know that I ended up buying a video camera. I'll look into making strategy and tactics videos as recommended.

Second, I just want to mention that, amazingly, I have more Likes than Posts! Woo!

Here's how I recommend:

Set the two Academies in the middle. This allows them to rapidly engage and act as a tasty lure. Setup the shuttle on one flank, whichever has be more advantageous asteroid placement. The Lambda can really, really move so this allows you to engage the enemy quickly regardless of their choice of setup. This mirrors his recommendation. However, I don't automatically put Kath on the opposite side. Putting her out like that risks here being blitzed if the enemy is across from her or in the middle. An aggressive opponent will do just this. Instead, I tend to put her with my shuttle.

This way, if they are across from the TIEs, Kath can bank in slowly while the alabaster solar kangaroo moves rapidly to arc in. The TIEs move slowly. This means that your force will be hitting them from three sides. If they setup across from the Lambda, the TIEs should move fast and arc in to flank. Just before contact, hard turn Kath into the side to hit the enemy with her rear gun (and disrupt their plans) while the snowy void bison moves slowly to prolong engagement. If they setup on the far corner, arc slowly towards them with the TIEs, rapidly with the Lambda, and moderately with the Firespray to form a wide skirmish line.

I have more to say but not the time. Tomorrow I'll try to respond in more detail. :)

nice. if im understanding ur starting tactics correctly...

when u setup in the right corner ur hitting them...

• from 3 o'clock with the shuttle, 7 o'clock with the firespray (rear arc) and 9 o'clock with the Academy Pilot's

when ur setting up from the left corner ur ships hit the enemy...

• from 9 o'clock with shuttle, 5 o'clock with firespray (rear arc) and 3 o'clock with the Academy Pilots

Here's how I recommend:

nice. if im understanding ur starting tactics correctly...

when u setup in the right corner ur hitting them...

• from 3 o'clock with the shuttle, 7 o'clock with the firespray (rear arc) and 9 o'clock with the Academy Pilot's

when ur setting up from the left corner ur ships hit the enemy...

• from 9 o'clock with shuttle, 5 o'clock with firespray (rear arc) and 3 o'clock with the Academy Pilots

OK, I think I understand what SableGryphon was saying and it sounds interesting. If I haven't liked it by now, I soon will. :)

But Brown Bomber's reply has muddied the waters a bit for me.  :blink:  I'm assuming you're talking about bearing relative to the victim's ... er, uh, opponent's ship. Is that correct?

I gave this list a run last night against a mate of mine who I am fairly evenly matched against.  The downside being that this was my first time running any big ships and he brought a four interceptor list.  We played two games and my shuttle never fired a single shot in either of them (the one time I lined up a good shot, I just clipped asteroid.   :unsure:

Still I shall come back to this list once I get more practice with big ships but I think the shuttle will stay in the case for a few more games for now.  Definitely not a list for beginners.

R67 - my post was referring to the vector your ship is Attacking from.

When ur setting up with ur shuttle and firespray starting in the right corner (with Academy Pilots in the centre) you are advancing ur ships with the goal of hitting them...

• FROM 3 o'clock with the shuttle, FROM 7 o'clock with the firespray (rear arc) and FROM 9 o'clock with the Academy Pilot's

When ur setting up with both ur shuttle and firespray starting in the left corner (with Academy Pilots in the centre) you are advancing ur ships with the goal of hitting them...

• FROM from 9 o'clock with shuttle, FROM 5 o'clock with firespray (rear arc) and FROM 3 o'clock with the Academy Pilots

So u r essentially setting up both big ships in the corner then when the enemy is about to reach firing range you sharp turn away with the firspray and let rip from its rear guns. Meanwhile you shuttle banks towards the middle and you Academy Pilots flank from the opposite side (3-pronged attack)

With this tactic is ur firspray is able to reposition for another shot without fear of getting overwhelmed too soon - they will not be able to concentrate fir on ur firspray unless they chase Kath and leave themselves wide open to flanking shots from ur other ships. 

I gave this list a run last night against a mate of mine who I am fairly evenly matched against.  The downside being that this was my first time running any big ships and he brought a four interceptor list.  We played two games and my shuttle never fired a single shot in either of them (the one time I lined up a good shot, I just clipped asteroid.   :unsure:

Still I shall come back to this list once I get more practice with big ships but I think the shuttle will stay in the case for a few more games for now.  Definitely not a list for beginners.

agreed, this list i not for beginners. it takes time invested to get familiar with it.

The problem I have faced is that the group I play with usually use a lot of builds employing many fast, little ships. I have introduced this build three times now and each time they focused fire on the shuttle. I usually get the alpha strike in with the shuttle but am so damaged that I feel like I am playing keep away from that point on with the shuttle rather than being a hunter. Granted I have started the shuttle in one corner and the ties and Kath in the center and not the recent way you have suggested. Still i think with the strategy of putting both large ships in one corner, i feel like the opponents i play against ( who usually employ missiles ofr alpha strike) will target teh shuttle with several missile shots. having one defense die doesnt bode well against 2 or 3 missiles. true I ll be able to hit a ship maybe two that first round with both big boys but i still feel like the shuttle will be at least stripped of shields. at worst down to 3 hull which has been my most recent experience. have you had to deal with opponents concentrating fire on the shuttle with the opening salvo?

This is one of my favourite builds and I can 'usually' fly it well. That was not the case last night, I went up against a bomber with a 5 tie mini swarm and wanting to try something new I decided to go full speed towards my opponent, bad decision, I am use to flying slow and casual with all my ships. In my haste I parked the bus on a rock and it go focused down didn't even get an attack roll off. Epic fail. Kath did alright pretty much all by her self lasting quite long and taking out 3-4 of the ties while dodging arcs with EH but in the end could not stand up to the focus fire.

Had pretty good results with a "cowgirl" list just yesterday my opponent was flying an ABX list, by the time I killed his last ship my albino galactic bovine had 2 hull left my bomber had 1 hull, and Scarlet had 2 shields. Thanks for the great list idea.

Cowgirl (100)

Kath Scarlet — Firespray-31 38

Expert Handling 2

Rebel Captive 3    

Omicron Group Pilot — Lambda-Class Shuttle 21

Fire-Control System 2

Gunner 5

Engine Upgrade 4    

Gamma Squadron Pilot — TIE Bomber 18

Assault Missiles 5

Seismic Charges 2  

Edited by MavolentBrosa

R67 - my post was referring to the vector your ship is Attacking from.

When ur setting up with ur shuttle and firespray starting in the right corner (with Academy Pilots in the centre) you are advancing ur ships with the goal of hitting them...

• FROM 3 o'clock with the shuttle, FROM 7 o'clock with the firespray (rear arc) and FROM 9 o'clock with the Academy Pilot's

When ur setting up with both ur shuttle and firespray starting in the left corner (with Academy Pilots in the centre) you are advancing ur ships with the goal of hitting them...

• FROM from 9 o'clock with shuttle, FROM 5 o'clock with firespray (rear arc) and FROM 3 o'clock with the Academy Pilots

So u r essentially setting up both big ships in the corner then when the enemy is about to reach firing range you sharp turn away with the firspray and let rip from its rear guns. Meanwhile you shuttle banks towards the middle and you Academy Pilots flank from the opposite side (3-pronged attack)

With this tactic is ur firspray is able to reposition for another shot without fear of getting overwhelmed too soon - they will not be able to concentrate fir on ur firspray unless they chase Kath and leave themselves wide open to flanking shots from ur other ships. 

Gotcha!

It's a little unintuitive to have Kath turn away from the battle, but, of course, you can still fire on your opponent while setting up for another shot. Very neat trick.

I'm liking MavolentBrosa's take on this squad with a TIE Bomber carrying Assault Missiles and a Seismic Charge. I could make for a nice alpha strike, before using the Kath/Shuttle two-step to mop up. It's an interesting option ...

Hmmm... Is the gamma there to improve odds vs swarm with the assault missile? I thought the results vs. swarm we're pretty 50-50? I see the bomber as worse vs. the multi-bwing lists this list really struggles with.

Well, this is all hypothetical to me, since I've only really played five official games (all Rebel) and I haven't flown this squadron yet. Although I plan on running Scarlet Cowgirl with the two Academy Pilots on Thursday night.

I would think Assault missiles would do some damage to a TIE swarm or a Rebel Biggs-swarm, any group of range-one ships, really. Of course, assuming you get the missles/bomb off and they cause damage, you're left with a TIE with somewhat limited mobility.

I certainly think I'd prefer to have the two fighters to harass the opposition, but a nice, juicy Alpha strike sure would be nice. It's certainly something I'll probably try out when on a friendly game night at the FLGS.

I put the bomber in mostly for the distraction of splash damage weapons, I was able to get a good hit with both the missile and with the bomb in the game I played.  Though I'd imagine it wouldn't fare so well every game.. time will tell.