Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dain Ironfoot

The Road Darkens (Saga) News!

206 posts in this topic

I reckon we're going to get a neutral gandalf hero,

He'd obviously have to do something pretty special, so how about if FFG introduced some magic? Maybe that will be the big reveal in this box. Because gandalf does use some magic in the book to dispatch the balrog, after all. So now would be the perfect time to introduce it.

Maybe they could do something like they did with the baggins and fellowship spheres, where you add a token onto them every round (a bit like resource tokens) and then you can spend them on their own special cards — magic spell cards

Maybe that is how we will dispatch the balrog. We'll need to play the gandalf hero and protect him until the balrog turns up, and save up all his tokens to play the spell card

I would quite like it if gandalf got his own sphere, just like the baggins and fellowhip spheres. They could add a saruman card into it as well, when the new cycle starts.

it wont be broken. It would be the same as now, because of the action window between readying all cards and the end of the round= discarding Gandalf. Word of Command is very strong and often overlooked.

apart form the trait word of command triggers off being on a hero that is always in play. So you can cast it as soon as you draw it now matter what, instead of having to wait until you have a istari ally in play.

I'm thinking: Leadership is better than Spirit. Gandalf gives spirit, but he is the best leader:

booored: "Can not have the istari trait. It would be to broken with Word of Command."

Me: mmmmh, sure? Maybe not

How about other people? Anymore idea?...

Edited by Mndela

Gandalf (spirit)

Threat: 13

Istari.

4 W

2 ATK

2 DEF

4 HP

Response: After you quest unsuccessfully ready Gandalf. He gains +2 ATK and +2 DEF until the end of the round.

Thanks!
I wanted to represent his wisdom, and when something goes wrong, he can help in fight.

His ability also offers some special deckbuilding possibilities. He is spirit because it has threat reduction, needs attacker, Gandalf fits spirit for me and spirit is my favourite sphere :P

I know you guys want him to be spirit but I wanted to look at a Lore Version

-Gandalf-Front-Face-2.jpg

I think it is important for players to be able to use the neutral Gandalfs in there decks and a Hero version of him would really throw a wrench in that design. This version of Gandalf is based on the idea that he goes where he is needed and that he can really be utilized by any player at the table.

I don't see Gandalf as a constant man of action. There are times when he just wants to read books and experience the world instead of going on Perilous quests all the time. So while he is not off saving the world, he is in a more relaxed state thus he needs stats that reflect his outlook on life.   

In a solo game, you could use this ability at most 3 times without using any kind of Sneak Attack cards, however in a multiplayer this Gandalf will really shine because you could trigger his ability several times with multiple players playing his ally form.

As for the negatives, his ability is dependent on another Gandalf being put into play and the fact that he has a harder time saving resources because he is getting bounced in and out of play due to his ability. Resources are not saved like his attachments.   

The treachery reduction is to reflect that he has gone out to do something meaningful to aid the people of Middle Earth. Giving them a better chance of a safer adventure.

Edited by Sprenger

Very good idea. Yeah. Congratulations.

One question: if the Gandalf Hero is not in play, you can't trigger his hability to return him into play. Isn't?

PD: the better of this card, i think, is the threat reduction when you reach to trigger the action.

Edited by Mndela

I think I just need to reword it a little better is all. I think I might make his response an action and the action a response.

Okay I edited it to make it more rules friendly.

Edited by Sprenger

That lore version Gandalf is pretty cool. I think the 2 threat reduction might be an issue with Sneak Attack that would be a total of 7 threat reduction for a cost of 1 which may get kind of broken.

Maybe when he returns after an ally version leaves play you draw a card, or search top 5 cards in your deck for an ally, or instead of an pick any type of card.. This would be fitting for lore, and it would represent his ability to help bring reinforcements.

I decided to go with Encounter deck manuplation instead. In a sense he is going out of his way to deal with evils that no one else knows about it....if he can find them.

Mmmmh, response also can't be triggered if the card is out of play.

Maybe something like: When another copy of Gandalf enters into play, its text gains: Response: when this card leaves game, return Gandalf hero into play.

How about...?

Hmmm I had a thought.

So they stated 1 hero eh.

How about 4 versions of the same hero? (aka gandalf)

1 for every sphere...

I know, not gonna happen ;)

there is no chance a a gandalf hero either .. but no one seams to care about that.

wanna bet? :)

You should not question the mighty booored, Matthew. He knows *everything* ;)

Hey booored, how many fingers am I holding up? (hint: it's more than zero and less than two)