Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dain Ironfoot

The Road Darkens (Saga) News!

206 posts in this topic

Really curious about that Glamdring wording now, although I feel as though as it could simply just be a typo with such matter of fact wording.

Also, 11 hours later, I'm still completely disappointed theres only going to be 1 hero.  I truly hope the saga expansions after this do not follow this same recipe.  Even from a marketing stand point its bizarre...the saga expansions are promoted for newer players or players that are not looking for the deep involvement of the the current deluxe and cycle releases whom may only have the core set.  Releasing a product that only gives 1 additional hero keeps their pool of choices incredibly shallow besides the fact that one can conjecture that its potentially even a rip off to provide 1/4 of the gameplay options a normal saga expansion provides.

It hasnt even been a full day yet and I'm already desperately hoping they'll release another piece of news that this was all a big mistake....  Next time someone interviews Caleb, I would love to hear the reason behind this decision...and then tear the logic to threads through the anonymity of a message board :/

Also, those wishing to see the fellowship members as the allies I think may be disappointed as well.  On the description page it states that there are 4 unique allies among the player cards.  With Elrond and Bilbo already spoiled that only leaves 2 ally spots and the hero spot to fill out the remaining 5 members of the fellowship (Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli, Boromir, Gandalf)  two of them are getting left out one way or another.

Edited by Pharmboys2013

I´m excited about all the new artwork. Think it all looks great and who cares of a few have been reused?

Also if I had to choose between a lot of new heroes and a lot of new ally, attachment and event cards, my vote will go for the latter any day of the week. I feel I have plenty of heroes already and while new heroes are nice from time to time they just mean less opportunity to be used in decks since heroes are a much more limited type of card.

John85 likes this

New Elrond ally becomes the absolute ugliest card in the game (even uglier than brand son of ugly). 

Lol, he seems Steven Seagal

steven-segal-umilit-la-concertul-tiesto-     elrond.png

I thought the exact same thing but could not remember his name...

I've always been very understanding of why there is not a Gandalf hero but... pleaaaaase let that other hero be Gandalf! =D

For the Hobbit yes i agree and i was pleased of how they made Gandalf.In the Hobbit he comes and goes and the story is based on the Dwarves.But in LOTR  Gandalf is not only a hero, he is THE hero.

He was the leader and the savior(Moria) of the company.He frees Theoden from Saruman's spells, saves the day at Helms Deep and the fall of Gondor was sure if he wasn't there.In a few words no Gandalf no hope for the free peoples.

That being said a Gandalf hero is a must for the Lotr saga.

All we know Imladris (a lot of players not name this card 'Imladris' or 'Stargazer', they name it directly 'Scarlett') since long time ago:

ffg_imladris-stargazer-fos.jpg  Scarlett-Johansson-sexy-as-Black-Widow-i

Edited by Mndela

after sleeping on it, i think i'm all aboard the gandalf hero train. thats the only thing that could make even a little bit of sense in this situation

Edited by Pharmboys2013

Gandalf is the hero for sure. Think about it... this is the part of the series where Gandalf is the most critical: getting the fellowship through Moria and holding off the Balrog. There's nothing more heroic than that. I wouldn't be surprised if there's something built into the quest that allows you to discard Gandalf to defeat the Balrog, to add some thematic play value.

With regards to the allies, I think it'll be Gimli and Legolas. We'll get new hero versions of them in the next box when they head off to Rohan so now is the time to get them as allies.

The art on Elrond is horrible, he looks like he should be holding a guitar singing folk songs instead of being leader of the elves.

Bilbo is great flavor. He quests and fetches pipes, but if you plan to use him in a fight you're basically throwing him under the bus. I like that they didn't try to turn him into a combat powerhouse.

The thing I'm most interested in are the encounter cards. I'm really curious how they plan to do Moria (again) in one single scenario including the balrog fight. We had 3 deluxe set scenarios and 4 AP's dealing with Moria and now it'll be compressed into one scenario? I'm not sure how that's going to work, although I'm glad they didn't try to overdo it and recreate the entire Kazad-dum cycle.

Here is my latest thought on who the hero will be. If developers are going to create 2 deck lists using the core, BR, and TRD, while trying to recreate the fellowship, here are some possible combinations.

In the core you get Legolas, Aragorn, Gimli as heroes and Gandalf as ally

In Black Riders Merry, Pippin, and Sam

Frodo will be in TBR

Here is my wild speculation #1

Boromir will be an ally.

There you go all Fellowship members can be represented in 2 decks.

And we get a non fellowship surprise hero.

Of course the Spirit Sphere is not represented at all in the 2 decks so this might be unlikely.

Wild speculation # 2

Boromir as spirit hero, and Gimli or Legolas as an ally.

Wild speculation # 3

Gandalf a spirit hero and Boromir as ally, along with either Legolas or Gimli as the other ally.

Wild speculation #4

None of the above, and I am going to be completely surprised.

I think at some point we will see two decks with some combination of the cards I listed in my first 3 options, i suspect the developers intend to make it possible for players to have two decks that can get all fellowship members in play, I'd be pretty surprised if they didn't.

I think it will either be #2 or #3 and lean slightly toward #3

Edited by Tracker1

Gandalf makes sense, then one of the saga boxes for the two towers can focus on the Gimli/Legolass/Aragorn side of the story, and fill out the fellowship there :-p

Edited by KennedyHawk
Dain Ironfoot likes this

Is there a reason why everyone connects Boromir to spirit? Shouldn't he be lore, as he made his way rangeresque through the wilderness all the way to Reno Rivendell? Someone with a high WP who looses one WP everytime Frodo uses The Ring (or the Hobbits start singing)?

If Gandalf turns out to be a hero after all, will he stay neutral? And will his starting threat be 16?

I think Boromir will be a unique ally.  We really don't need another hero version of him, and there isn't a hero version of him that makes sense in Lore or Spirit. 

I think the other unique ally will be Galadriel. She needs to be in this expansion since she plays an important role in this part of the books, and if Elrond is best represented as an ally that does something powerful then leaves, it makes sense for Galadriel to have a similar function.

I would suggest a Galadriel hero (which would be awesome), but I think the heroes will center on the fellowship, and I'm starting to lean toward Gandalf.

Edited by Glowwyrm

Is there a reason why everyone connects Boromir to spirit? Shouldn't he be lore, as he made his way rangeresque through the wilderness all the way to Reno Rivendell? Someone with a high WP who looses one WP everytime Frodo uses The Ring (or the Hobbits start singing)?

If Gandalf turns out to be a hero after all, will he stay neutral? And will his starting threat be 16?

Quote, I also agree that Boromir is a very poor fit for spirit.

I wouldnt be surprised that since its stated there are 4 unique allies, that each one will be a different sphere and we already have Elrond and Bilbo covering lore and spirit.  Boromir could be either tactics or leadership but not sure who the other would be...I also would want to see a Galadriel hero before we get her as an ally

My Guess:

The hero will be Gandalf, and his text will say:

During setup choose a sphere, Gandalf gains that printed resource icon for the rest of the game.

He would be a kind of neutral hero. That's the only explanation for only having one hero. Otherwise what's the reason? They thought we can't possibly put in any duplicate heroes so let's just put none at all?!

Concerning Elrond ally, probably not worth it at all, but you could attach Vilya to him. Other than gandalf and treasure cards I think this is the first example of an ally that can have a unique attachment.

It would cost 5 resources, but if you had Stargazer in play you could set up an expensive ally to bring into play, further more if you also have Spare hood and cloak you could ready Elrond, and use him during the round.

Although for me, all will be forgiven if we get a fantastic Anduril card that gives Aragorn the tactics icon.

Thematically, an Anduril weapon attachment would require you to remove the Sword that was Broken attachment from the game since it is physically being reforged.  Or you could keep both and make Aragorn an absolute powerhouse decked out with all his goodies.  

Edited by Karlson

So many amazing news!! And here I was thinking that the only news we'd get would be the release of VoI. This expansion looks like it's gonna be totally amazing. Really really glad they didn't skip anything in Moria (we even got the Watcher!!!). The only thing that kinds dissapoints me are the new Frodo hero (he is amazing but I was hoping for another character), and the new item boons. I would've liked to have Glamdring, Mithril shirt, etc as attachments, not boons so I can use them in regular expansions, but for campaign mode they're amazing. Really looking forward to this! Also, new hero is gonna be Gandalf, I ken.