Sign in to follow this  
r2trooper

Player Contacts

So, I have been doing this for quite some time now, and my players really enjoy this. I give them all between 3 to 5 contacts that their characters have dealt with in the "past"; being before the game actually starts. They can write these guys into their background if they want to, or not. These are just some people that they have met or dealt with in their past to help give the PC life from before the game begins. I have added that some of these Contacts may owe the PC some Obligation, noting to drastic, just 1-3 points. I figured why should the PC be the only ones in the Galaxy that owe other people. These small Obligations numbers won't have a huge effect on the game, but just shows that they have done stuff in the past. They can get a tidbit of free info, maybe a small discount of weapons or repairs, or even help in a fight. The "Trust Meter" is a number between 1 and 20 that signifies how much they can trust this guy. 10 is middle and they have no know reason to betray them and no real reason to go out of their way to help them either. But sometimes, you just have to deal with people you cant trust and know that will try to stab you in the back, or even your front...

So, any feedback is more than welcome on these ideas, and if you like them, feel free to rip me off...Just please let people know you stole from me.  :P (That is why I am posting to help give people ideas so they can use them if they want, I mean. no, wait...you can't have my ideas! I have them copyrighted or things...) :lol:

Now, without further ado, bring out the Contacts of On the Edge of Triumph and Despair!! (Um, thats the name of my Campaign btw)

First up we have Xol Nemnin:

Xol_zps43e0cbbc.jpg

Xol Nemnin is a Kel Dor underworld weapons and armor dealer based on the planet Korbin. Xol owns and operates a Kryf Plantaion that he uses as a front for is weapons and armor dealing.  He is about 5’8” and about 280 Lbs. He is getting up in the years, and is showing a good lum-belly. He has been in the black market weapons business for a long time, and has many contacts, suppliers, buyers, and of course protection. He has made a few enemies in his time. He is soft spoken and not easily upset. He does not make threats or confront anyone. When people think they can rip him off, they often think they are getting away with stealing from him, with him being none the wiser. In reality, he is very wise, and not easily coned, but will not directly confront people. It is said that when most of these people leave Korbin, they are never heard from again.

Species: Kel Dor

Planet: Korbin

City: Pleasant City

Current Trust meter: 15

Trust meter:

1--------------------------------------------15-----------------20

Obligation: 2

Edited by R2builder

ClezikHyno_zpsa2660443.jpg

Clezik Hyno is a Rodian crime lord. He likes to boast about his powerful empire that he controls. From his looks, he does not seem to be that well off. There two old looking Security droids that are always behind him brandishing nasty looking weapons. He is polite, and always offers his visitors a drink, and takes great insult in those who do not accept his most gracious offer. He always servers warmed spiced tea native to his home world of Rodia. So far, you know he deals in real estate scams, money laundering, and protection racket.

Teyr is a bureaucratic world, 34 light years from Vulvarch. It is a popular tourist destination, known for its majestic mountains and the breathtaking Teyr Rift. It is located near the Foless Crossroads. The planet was colonized by at least 496 BBY. Teyr holds the Mobquet Presents: Fastest Land Beings race.

Species: Rodian

Planet: Teyr

City: Pyre Folas

Current Trust: 12

1--------------------------------------------12---------------------------20

Obligation: 1

Edited by R2builder

Bobuchul_zps13e94215.jpg

Bo’bupchul is an Ithorian trader that can move about any cargo. His specialty is luxury goods and antiques. He is a fair and honest tradesman, but does have a taste for fine liquors and death sticks, which can sometimes impair his judgment and memory. He does business with some of the biggest players in the Sector, and likes to throw lavish get togethers that attract all manner of beings from every facet of society. 

Species: Ithorian

Planet: Ord Mantell

City: Wolport

Current Trust: 10

1-----------------------------------10------------------------------------20

Obligation: 3

Edited by R2builder

2309_zpse0f9cf0f.jpg

Herg Yassik is the alien owner of the 'Bargain Basement Starship Emporium' aptly situated at the base of one of Nar' Shadaa's many dilapidated warehouse blocks.
Most of the old alien's past is shrouded in mystery, but what little that is known is that he has provided excellent starship 'chop-jobs' for the Hutt clans of the Smuggler's Moon. So excellent is the standard of his workmanship, that Herg's docking bays are considered the 'safest in the Corellian Quarter', due to grateful Hutt customers.
Due to a recent bout of ill health (being folded in two by a Stenax bouncer at the Meltdown club), Herg has recently been unable to upgrade starships personally, leaving the job to his collection of highly modified repair droids.
This crafty alien's race is rumored to be the mercantile *Ajeeri species from Aljusab, but Herg isn't telling...

Species: Ajeeri

Planet: Last seen on Nar Shadda

City:  Crown Jewel City

Current Trust: 18

1-----------------------------------------------------------------18------20

Obligation: 5

Edited by R2builder

Pauan_zpsa67bcf36.gif

Algara Raka’an is a pompous crime lord based on Procopia in the Tapani Sector. He has control of the world’s criminal element from smuggling, to spice, to slavery. Algara also has control of some powerful banks in the Sector, and runs loan sharks and money laundering services through them. He is stretching out his influence to in include weapons, armor, and even mercenaries. In the Tapani Sector he is a very powerful figure, but his reach and influence has not gone far beyond.

Species: Pau'an

Planet: Procopia

City: Estalle Island

Current Trust: 5

1-----------------5------------------------------------------------------20

Edited by R2builder

Here we have two brothers: Bitt'nizz and Nizz'bitt Biz’Zvular

2226_zps1ad83d4a.jpg

Bitt’nizz Biz’Zvular is a small alien of unknown origins. He is usually calm, but can be excited into a veritable frenzy very easily. Bitt’nizz loves to fly, and he loves to fly fast and dangerous, and under the nose of the Imperials. Bitt’nizz is a smuggler’s smuggler. He will smuggle anything, and usually doesn’t charge too much for the run either. For the most part he runs guns for his brother. He flies a small craft that can’t hold much cargo, but that is ok with him, he doesn’t haul cargo, only very precious commodities. He really doesn’t deal in info, but he can always tell you were to find a good deal, as long as you can hook him up with one too, and oh yeah, don’t forget to him some Lum!

Species: Unknown

Planet: Atzerri

City: Trader’s Palace

1--------------------------------------12---------------------------------20

Nizz’bitt Biz’Zvular is a small alien of unknown origins. He is usually calm, but can be excited into a veritable frenzy very easily. Nizz’bitt loves all thing weapons. He loves everything to hold-out blasters all the way up to starship weapons. He deals mostly with personal weapons, and very rarely sells the big stuff. He does not care for armor, and will not buy or sell it. He always has at least 8 weapons on him. He also deals with melee weapons, and has some of the finest knives and vibro-weapons this side of the Shapani bypass. He does sell grenade type weapons from time to time, but with the Empire cracking down on such things, the prices can get high. You have dealt with Nizz’bitt a few times in the past, and only once to you get him into his frenzy, you still don’t know how or why. In his frenzy, he tries to shoot anything breathing, anything not breathing, anything that moves, and anything that doesn’t move! In his frenzy, he is not really trying to kill anyone, he just like shooting his guns….

Planet: Atzerri

City: Trader’s Palace

1--------------------------------------12---------------------------------20

Edited by R2builder

This one is for events before Episode IV, but you can put him on a different planet for use in the Edge timeframe.

Haslo_zps9f942d8e.jpg

Haslo Jenkini is an expert computer hacker/infochant who resides on Alderaan. Haslo always has the latest and hottest gadgets, and continually upgrades and modifies his brain implant. He has been known to do huge jobs without much outside help. Instead he builds programs that can go inside of computer systems to help him out. Haslo is one of the few known organics that can jack into a computer system and actually be part of that environment. From there he can “physically” interact with the environment, and not be detected as an organic. Haslo does sell some his programs and modifications to a few select individuals in the galaxy. Not much is known about Haslo, and not too many know of his secret computer skills, and even fewer organics he can trust. Most of his dealings with people are through the Holo-net, or with droids. He grants an exclusive personnel meeting with very few. (Must have a trust rating of 15 or higher). Mordune has had a few dealings with him in the past, and is starting to trust him.

Species: Human

Planet: Alderaan

City:  Belleau-a-Lir

1--------------------------------------------12---------------------------20

Obligation: 2

icon2022_zps7067de3e.jpg

230px-NoghriNEGAS_zpsc1c1d161.jpg

Baikh Vair is a strong tough warrior. He is mostly known to work for mercenary groups, taking on the odd job or two before moving on. He does not speak of his home world, or where he came from. So far, no one knows what world he is from, or what species he is. He is not quick to anger, and is proficient with knives, vibro-weapons, blaster, and seems to be a competent martial artist. He keeps his cool in combat, and does what is required of him, be it to capture someone alive, or dead, it makes no difference to him.

Planet: Last seen on Merisee

City: Merisee Prime

1--------------------------------------10---------------------------------20

250px-Wattamborfull_zps05b8e77a.jpg

Rhulki Gercerd is a Skakoan. He deals a with machines and parts. He has large warehouse and store on Cadomi. While it seems that he is a large dealer in junk, his true love in alien, forbidden, and brand new technology.  He sometimes hires out teams to conduct corporate espionage and to steal this new technology.

In his shop, you get almost anything mechanical, be it for personal use, for a droid, or starships. But, when shopping here make sure to bring cash, and lots of it, his wares are not cheap, and he does not deal in credit cards or credsticks.

On the surface he seems to be an honest business man just trying to make a living, but under the surface, he is cold, ruthless, and conniving.

You has shopped here on occasion, but have never done a job for Rhulki.

Species: Skakoan

Planet: Cadomi

City:  Star-lite Star-brite Star Plaza One-Auesh

1------------------------------------10-----------------------------------20

Obligation: 0

Edited by R2builder

Keldabe_zps974e4646.jpg

Keldabe is a Mandolrian commando, and a former member of the Death Watch  of Mandalore. He despises the Jedi, the Empire, and this growing Resistance against the Empire. After the defeat of the Death Watch at the hands of the Jedi at the tail end of the Clone Wars, and the occupation of Mandalore by the Empire, he stripped his armor of paint until the Mandalorians are free of this Imperial stain.

He now hires out his services to the highest paying customers. Keldabe has even worked for the Empire, tracking down rouge Jedi. His usual jobs are Merc work, and militia work. He does do jobs for the local crime syndicates, and corporations. He is on retainer for Kuat of Kuat. You have worked with him a couple of times on some militia assignments. He is a master soldier, and man-at-arms. He is an expert on about every weapon type, and is said his master craft Mandalorian armor is worth about 100,000 credits.     

Species: Human

Planet: Kwenn space station

City:

Current Trust: 11

1------------------------------------11-----------------------------------20

****Canon Note**** I base this information off of The Clone Wars animated series. I have not read or intend to read anything from Traviss. If you wish to use this information, have at it. If not, change it up at your will.  I do not intend these postings to become fodder for the "this is; this is not Canon arguments. I will ask Mods to remove any such postings. Thank you for your respect.

Edited by R2builder

That is just a a mechanic I made up to show the players how much they can trust this person. It is a scale of 1 to 20, 1 being they hate you and are actively working on your demise, and 20 is they will do about anything for you, even jump in the way of a blaster bolt for you. A lot of times in RPGs it can be hard to convey a NPCs trust worthiness to the players, so I made this little scale up. If players do things that could hurt the contact, then the meter may go down a little, or if they work with that contact, then over time it could go up. There are no hard and fast rules to it.

I started using this back in the days of D20 RCR, so it really has nothing to do with the game mechanics of any system, just really a scale to represent how much trust you can expect from people. Sometimes they have to take on jobs for people they don't trust, and continually expect to be screwed over, but when they are working for someone with a high trust factor, when things go wrong, they don't jump to the idea that thier contact set them up for trouble, so I can use this to keep my game from getting too far off track in those instances.

I really like the idea of NPCs owing PCs Obligation. The system clearly lends itself to that. I may steal this idea and give each contact a rating of -10 to +10 to be applied to the reputation part of Obligation. Just to eye ball rather than having a hard and fast rules.

@ GM Hooly, that is a great idea about the trust meter being a gauge where the contacts may not work with them if they get too notorious, I really had not that about that. I looked at the meter as being rather static, not really changing over time, but yeah, if they had a Rebel contact, and they started working more against the rebels, then yes, those contacts could dry up for them. Or if the group got too "big time" some other contacts may not want that kind of attention.

Exactly! Although I was coming from the point of view of people from the underworld rather than rebel cells, etc. But that works too! :)

Edited by GM Hooly

Using the NPCs "Trust Score" could encourage PCs to do work for them thus providing additional hooks for adventures.

How cool would it be for this sort of transaction to go down:

NPC: "Tirron. You gotta get out of here man. If the Hutts see me talkin' to you, I'm a dead man".

PC: "Come on Dra'Kel. How about that time I ran Kyber Crystals for you out of Zennox? You owe me!"

The way I see it working is that the PCs Obligation gets consulted to see how others see them, but then gets modified up or down by the NPCs trust and/or obligation factor. If the PCs "call in a favour", the NPCs Obligation to them would go down, although the PC's Obligation might be so high, that even their "associates" don't want to deal with them.

It might be a little bit of paperwork to take care of, but something simple enough to update post session. After all, the GM section of each page in Obsidian Portal has to be used for something :)

Edited by GM Hooly