Sign in to follow this  
DarkGuard

How to have fun at a tournament when you are losing every game?

i want to know peoples opinions on if they go to a tournament and lose every game? i have a upcoming tournament and i am thinking of taking a squad to have fun but will probably end up losing every game

Take a fun squad. Maybe you'll lose, but if that's happening anyway, might as well get some good laughs out of it. Or do something really ridiculous. I don't know what, exactly, but if I think of something I'll let ya know.
Shuttle swarm comes to mind, but evidently that's not so impractical

Celebrate all the small victories.  

Like when one of your ships gets vaped but still has red target lock(s) on it — "Ha, Ha! Made you waste a target lock!" ^,^

I've seen players using squads (like 5 A-Wings) that weren't likely winners, but flying them to the best of their ability and genuinely enjoying the challenge.

Will there be alcohol available?

If not, will you be able to bring your own?

Bring Tim Tams/Oreos/Whatever, and offer them to your opponent except when he is killing all of your ships.

To expand on that, take your Oreos and make TIE Fighters out of them, then use them as proxies in informal games. Insist on eating them whenever they are destroyed.

Don't get upset!  I don't get to play a lot of games so when ever I do I relish the chance.  When I find myself on a losing streak I don't try to win so muh as try out crazy tactics and fly as hard as I can.  I found that I suddenly was having a ball and even started winning a game or two.  Always have fun and always fly your heart out!

I read this and laughed because that happened to me. Lost every game lol.

My friends aren't really into this "hobby" thing so tournament play makes up a large part of my actual play experience. Never went to any before x-wing and I have got to say it's always fun to go to an x-wing tournament.

First of all you get to meet gamers who have a passion for the same game you love, and it's always fun to talk shop. You'll also make new friends, it's inevitable. Both those aspects are always fun, even if you loose all your games.

The x-wing players I've met and played against are super nice and competitive in the right way - that is by wanting to win with smart flying sans being dicks and snarky about it. I've learned from every tournament.

The only advice I'll give is bring a squad that will be really fun to play with high risk, high reward options. The squad I brought and lost with was in wave 2 and it was vader with the two named interceptor pilots. It was always a fun squad to play win or loose. I also learned a lot about how to fly interceptors that day.

The first game I lost when I misjudged vader and he daredevil crashed into another ship, then got ioned with a stress to death.

The other game I lost when I played a little kid who's father left me to babysit. The kid was trying to cheat the whole time by moving ships illegally so I had to wear my uncle cap and nicely tell him that doing those things "makes you feel bad inside" and that he shouldn't. On top of that, he didn't even know the rules so I pretty much had to keep track of his side and play for him. Anyway, I was pretty much playing against myself (he didn't understand how han, gunner etc worked, all he really understood was how to set the movement dials). Eventually his han shoots first list blew mine away, as it should have. Sounds like a nightmare game? Not really. I made a friend earlier who was sitting at the table and watching. We were chatting the whole time and it made me think about the rules more by keeping track of everything. I even let the kid redo some moves like flying Han off the table. Eventually the kid settled down and we all got something good from the game.

So really a tournament, as any experience in life, is what you make of it.

Luke: What's in there?
Yoda: Only what you take with you.

Edited by R2-EQ

Shout like a Tusken raider every time anything good happens.

Anything.

Good rolls? Shout. 

Critical Hit? Shout.

Someone comments on your formation? Shout.

Do hand motions as well. 

Then, whine like a Jawa every time anything bad happens. 

Nothing gets you more bewildered looks and laughs than a well placed "OO-TEE-NEE!"

Do you need to win to have a good time? I find fun in a loss, and if it's a tournament, I know I will have a chance to see someone better then myself, or someone that does a combo move that is sweet.

If your worried about winning, you may need to get out of games, someone wins and someone doesn't.

Im not saying I need to win to have fun, however I am thinking of bringing a 4 hawk 290 squad just to have fun. If it comes down to losing extremely bad each game it might start to effect my happiness by game 4. I am just seeking advice on how to make sure I do not become mr grumpy gamer =P

Im not saying I need to win to have fun, however I am thinking of bringing a 4 hawk 290 squad just to have fun. If it comes down to losing extremely bad each game it might start to effect my happiness by game 4. I am just seeking advice on how to make sure I do not become mr grumpy gamer =P

Cookies.

Solution to just about every problem.

Bring your phone.

As soon as you start losing just get on Facebook and passive aggressively ignore your opponent.

Anytime you roll less than amazingly whine about how bad your dice have treated you all game.

Complain about how your faction/ships are underpowered while theirs are overpowered.

When you shake hands and gg, give the most limp wristed handshake the world has ever seen.

Complain about how bad your dice were in later games to your opponents.

If you're going to have a bad time, everyone else around you should too.

I just recently played in my first xwing tourney..and i flew great, set my self up for the kills and stayed out of return fire the best i could....the only problem was i still lost every game and even lost to a friend i usually beat..!!!???

the dice were killing me.. I couldnt hit anything or dodge any fire coming back!!! Blanks..Blanks..Blanks!!!

I had stealth on everyone in my squadron of intercepters....4 agility on base rolls until it takes the first hit.. made them crazy hard to hit in my test games.

So the games continued to get worse as the day went on.. :(

By the last game i quit trying and just had a good time! The last round i bombed the dice even worse!! lol.. I couldnt believe it to the point I just started making fun of myself!!!

I played one of the other tourney players after the tournament was over and... YOu guessed IT!! the dice came right back to normal!! average rolls and I lost one ship to 4!!! and wiped the table!!! That almost frusterated me more!

On the way home with my head low..lol I started to think that I still learned a few new manuvers and did have a great time! At least I got meet and play against some people I have never met!!! YAY!!! Pulled into the driveway with a smile!!!! :D

the end!!!

Its funny how competition will make any game less fun.  We seem to NEED to win to have fun if we are playing for a prize...no matter how trivial the prize is.  i.e. some plastic tokens, or new card art.  

That being said, just don't get caught up in the whole concept of a "tourney".  

Remember why you bought your first core set when you saw it at the game store....you enjoy this type of thing.

Every time one of your ships gets blown up....remember that you are not at work.

The few tournaments I've attended usually have a wooden spoon prize, so if you come last you get something (last time it was a plush Jar Jar Binks).

Ultimately, I attend tournaments to meet new people and have fun. Winning is fun, but having fun losing is more fun then not having fun winning :D

I've tried to take the "fly casual" motto to heart, and it won me most sporting at the last tournament I went to (well ok I was tied with someone else, but as I had done worse then him I won it).

I've also found x wing tournaments way more relaxed then warhammer 40k tournaments, which is a great thing. Fly your best and have fun.

The few tournaments I've attended usually have a wooden spoon prize, so if you come last you get something (last time it was a plush Jar Jar Binks).

Ultimately, I attend tournaments to meet new people and have fun. Winning is fun, but having fun losing is more fun then not having fun winning :D

I've tried to take the "fly casual" motto to heart, and it won me most sporting at the last tournament I went to (well ok I was tied with someone else, but as I had done worse then him I won it).

I've also found x wing tournaments way more relaxed then warhammer 40k tournaments, which is a great thing. Fly your best and have fun.

just have fun and "Fly Casual". If you are fun to be around those who you are playing are more likely to want to play with you again. No one likes a sore loser nor do they like a prideful winner. Don't become that guy that everyone rolls their eyes at when you enter the room.

Play something crazy

I used 2 bs + ion and 2 ys + ion last tournament.

good? (dont know)

Fun YES

Bring all the ION and mines and stuff

Go for Ibitsam + Sensor jammer + elusivenes + staelth device

Use falcon with saboteur and antiP-laser just to make those tieswarms hate you