Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ieatdeadpeople2

Censorship in the Forums

33 posts in this topic

Exactly.

I mean, it's not a universal thing, but if (taking the early crusade as an example) the Legiones Astartes is creaming off the Terran military academies' top hundred thousand male students in each generation....and killing or crippling ninety percent of them...then even if the recruitment rate is male-biased the way it is today, it's not hard to see why you're going to have a significantly gender-biased graduating "top class". Which, fast forward on a hundred years or so, means it's perfectly correct that so many senior navy officers should be female.

Space Marine selection is done pre-puberty though, usually around the 7-9 year old range to begin with. They would probably mostly focus on willpower and probably a bit of physical fitness (for a child), but I don't know if they would have begun any serious formal education yet. They may have. I don't think there's much fluff that covers life growing up in the Imperium.

I think this might still have reflected poorly on male candidates, as there would be a very strong "If you're so great, why weren't you chosen for a Space Marine" vibe going on.

I did notice that most ship captains tended to be female. I assumed this was just because it was the only unfilled role they could occupy, but I actually quite like the explanation that because the best males are selected for Space Marine conversion (and mostly dying or becoming chapter serfs in the process), then the best females would outnumber them in the more human departments, like the Navy or the various Adepta.

Actually I think that's supposed to be a 'nod' to the novel Starship Troopers (one of the early influences on the 40K game), which states that most pilots are female due to having a temperament better suited to the stresses.

Space Marine selection is done pre-puberty though, usually around the 7-9 year old range to begin with.

Originally that was true, but the fluff has been retconned; now Space Marines are usually depicted as being recruited in their late teens or older (for example, the 40K comic Damnation Crusade by Dan Abnett features a scene of Black Templars selecting potential recruits by watching some musclebound men in a gladiatorial arena).

-And my apologies for contributing to the derailment of this thread...

I want to swear.  

I'm not a child.  I might be a a twenty one year old man boy who plays role-playing games but [Entitlement Filters Activated] it I want to swear.

Not a child? It seems fairly childish to come here and complain that grown ups won't let you swear. If you don't like it feel free to host your own public forum and remove any and all filters. I notice a 2 has been added to the end of your screen name, did the last one get banned due to a certain thread?

I want to swear.  

I'm not a child.  I might be a a twenty one year old man boy who plays role-playing games but [Entitlement Filters Activated] it I want to swear.

Not a child? It seems fairly childish to come here and complain that grown ups won't let you swear. If you don't like it feel free to host your own public forum and remove any and all filters. I notice a 2 has been added to the end of your screen name, did the last one get banned due to a certain thread?

Yeah, I mentioned what happened to his old account on the previous page.