Sign in to follow this  
LoneWolf2k1

Couple of questions (most about archers)

Recently picked up the game as soon as it hit the market here in Germany.

I like the idea of a "light" strategy game very much, but some questions popped up during my first 2 test games, most of them revolving around the archer units.

1. Archers shoot at enemy forces inside a building. Is this possible at all, since the building is consideres "blocking" territory?
My guess: Yes, "blocking" only counts when tracing a line of sight to another hex through the building. The fortified unit gains the "ignore one damage"-ability.

2. Archers are ajacent to an enemy unit. Can they choose to attack using ranged combat in order to avoid a counterattack, given the enemy isn't destroyed or flees?  Could Yeoman Archers even attack twice this way, as long as they don't move?

3. Same situation as 2., but the archers are attacked. Do they counter using a melee or a ranged attack? Since there are 1 Melee hits on the dice, but only 1 ranged hit, that would almost double their hit chance, given they are not weak.

4. If an archer unit (or any other unit as well) is attacked 3 times by 3 different enemies in a turn, yet is not destroyed, is it eligible to counter 3 times?

Thanks in advance!

1. Correct, blocking terrain (buildings, forests, hills) blocks LOS through them, not attacks into them.

2/3. Yeoman archers and Viper Legions have the "ranged" trait. Look up "Ranged Attack" on pg8 of the Reference Book. They only ever score hits with the Pierce die result, even if adjacent to their target. Also, units get to counter attacks that come from adjacent enemies, whether they're making ranged or melee attacks.

4. So long as a defender is still alive and doesn't retreat, it can counter any number of attacks against it. Exceptions are:

- Attacks from Riverwatch Riders... they have an ability (don't remember the name) that makes them immune to counters.

- Obscenes can counter even when retreating (but not when destroyed)

- The Unstoppable Lore card lets a unit that's about to be destroyed counter.

Come to think of it, your questions bring up another...

If a Yeoman Archer who didn't move is attacking an adjacent enemy and wants to use Double Shot, does the defender get to counter after the first attack, possibly forcing a retreat and preventing the 2nd attack? I'm inclined to think he does, that each attack is treated individually... but I've never had that come up in a game yet.

Come to think of it, your questions bring up another...

If a Yeoman Archer who didn't move is attacking an adjacent enemy and wants to use Double Shot, does the defender get to counter after the first attack, possibly forcing a retreat and preventing the 2nd attack? I'm inclined to think he does, that each attack is treated individually... but I've never had that come up in a game yet.

The defender gets to counter after the first attack, as each attack is a separate one.  However, even if the Yeoman Archer is forced to retreat during the first counter, it can still make a second ranged attack if it is still within range and line of sight of a target.