Sign in to follow this  
Hakon

Model for YV-560, x-wing scale

Hi all, our group's ship is a YV-560, i love the look of this ship and am sick of using a YT-1300 as a proxy in the space combat, so i made a model.

Here is the YV-560 as per Enter The Unknown:

07hv.png

To make my YV-560, i started with a Revell easykit pocket Millenium Falcon.

the model is 110mm long and has a 80mm diameter saucer section.

so it is about 10% smaller then x-wings YT-1300 and perfect for a YV-560.

1jib.jpg

first i started by removing the prows and the cockpit corridor, as well as the roof above the engine bay, and the centre rectangular area around he cargo hold.

8moe.jpg

kcmo.JPG

then i got 2x lego 1 notch cylinders and a lego wheel rim for the engines, mounting them on plasticard.

b7pc.jpg

45ev.jpg

next i made my prow piece, cutting and fine tuning, once i was happy i stenciled 4 new ones all exactly the same attaching them to the 2 saucer pieces

osi.JPG

7iiq.jpg1kel.jpg

next i got 2x lego antenna and 2x lego flag pole, i cult the base of the poles top and bottom so they would sit flat. i also used a lego hose with the ends cut off for the front of the ship to cover the gap that would exist.

fgwj.jpg

then i put the 2 halves together, i cut the barrel of the turret and installed 2 plastic pieces for a twin laser turret.

I also put the models side bits on, cutting the curved part off the front prow sides and positioning it to cover the remaining falcon engine section.

95ly.jpg

t4sb.jpg

then i built the engine room using plasticard.

here is the final model unpainted:

rvt9.jpg

crfj.jpg

so what do you think?

close enough?

k866.jpg

07hv.png

Edited by Hakon

Ok so it's done, i bulked up the rear of the hull a tad, recycled the YT-1300 prow to add detail to the dorsal side of the prow, and gave it a sick paint job replacing the red YT-1300 with the YP-560 blue, then i gave it an ink to dirty it up a little. I'm pretty happy with it.

And considering the model cost me $14 off ebay, plus a few leftover lego parts and a thin plasticard sheet, it's not bad for a days work, i only started it 5 hours ago.

Here it is:

ooz4.jpg

md7w.jpg

and finally a comparison between the pic and the model in a similar pose:

07hv.png

kj35.jpg

Hope you guys like it, hopefully FFG release one for their X-wing game so we can all have one.

Edited by Hakon

Pictures are up....

i'll try to take a pic of it next to a X-wing game YT-1300 on the weekend. 

(my x-wing is at my other place at the moment)

and for those who haven't seen my other thread here is a detailed interior floor plan i made for a YV-560:

http://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/97962-yv-560-interior/

Edited by Hakon

got my X-wing minis, heres a comparison of size vs the millennium falcon YT-1300

First pic YV-560 on top of YT-1300 for size comparison:

cl7l.jpg

Rest of the pics for perspective.:

wqx1.jpg

59ao.jpg

yydz.jpg

so think the scale is ok? 

I have the ship calculated to be 30m long vs YT-1300's 34m or in other words falcon should be 15% longer

my YV-560 model measures 107mm long, the falcon measures 127mm long

Edited by Hakon

got my X-wing minis, heres a comparison of size vs the millennium falcon YT-1300

First pic YV-560 on top of YT-1300 for size comparison:

cl7l.jpg

Rest of the pics for perspective.:

wqx1.jpg

59ao.jpg

yydz.jpg

so think the scale is ok? 

I have the ship calculated to be 30m long vs YT-1300's 34m or in other words falcon should be 15% longer

my YV-560 model measures 107mm long, the falcon measures 127mm long

Looks good to me for EotE.  Probably could not fly it in a X-Wing tournament though.  They have pretty stringent rules for ship modifications.

I really do like it.  Captured the look and feel pretty darn good.

I have a lot of projects that I want to do, and your mod has added another to my list of things to do.  Thanks!  Our GM made a ship for our players out of foam board with it's own back story and then some.  It is a CEC YT- Prototype that our group, at some point, may get the story on.  Our GM keeps everything very close to his chest.  It's awesome.  Again, great job!

Dear Sir Hakon, i must admit i do like you conversion. Its a a good work. However, if do not mind can i add a bit of critique? Two main concerns here are rear plastic card and paintjob. Perhaps its just a quality of pictures, but it may look a bit better if you close the gaps with putty and add a crisp line other it with a knife.

Paintwork wise, ship would benefit so much from weathering and washes. In you original reference picture blue is slightly dull and in tone with the rest of the ship, washing should help to give it a worn look.

Best regards.  

Edited by MP7VRN