Sign in to follow this  
redpixels505

Transporting complete squads to a game night

Has anyone discovered a way to transport whole squads (fighters, cards, pegs, stands, etc) to a game? Kind of like a deck box for a collectible card game? I've been looking into a few solutions, but so far I haven't found anything that works for me.

Any suggestions?

Has anyone discovered a way to transport whole squads (fighters, cards, pegs, stands, etc) to a game? Kind of like a deck box for a collectible card game? I've been looking into a few solutions, but so far I haven't found anything that works for me.

Any suggestions?

I use  the Plano box that I have everything in currently, but I have a spot reserved for my current list that goes with it.  Ships in one slot, while dials, cards, bases etc, go in another.

A lot of players in my area bought plano boxes.

They're cheap and theres a lot of selection and sizes.

I think it's gonna be my next buy cause i'm tired of transporting everything in the original boxes, damaging them in the process...i'd prefer to throw them away and transport everything in planos.

I use pluck foam for my storage.  what i did was took a tray of un-plucked foam, and plucked it out to make it "feel" like a staging tray.  When i know game night is coming, i'll gather my squad and put it into this tray.  When i show up to the game, all i need to do is put pegs to ship to stand, lay out the cards, and i'm ready to go.

This dropped my setup time from 20 minutes to about 5...

I normally have all my stuff with me, but its in planos and all separated out.  But for tournaments, I took another adjustable plano, put all the gear I would need, set up the ships on bases with numbers and everything, so when I sat down it was just setting it out on the table.  like 1 minute to set up.  Had my tokens in a small 6 spot tackle box.  I think I even had that just sitting there with my extras just in case.  This set up would not fully work with large ships, but to put them together would not take that long if you have all your cards and stuff ready.

When I go to tourneys, I use my old Plano (that used to hold all of my ships before I outgrew it) for the ships that I'm bringing and running specifically.  It's a small tray, about 8x11x2, but it has plenty of space for the 4 rebel ships and all of their components + asteroids + maneuver/range templates.  Everything is fully assembled and separated out by token type.  I don't know if it would work for an 8 TIE swarm, at least not while having everything set to go.

For game night, I just have a tool box that has 3 layers of pluck foam for the ships, and the tokens in separate compartments on the top of the box.  

I recently discovered these:

http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/usa/html/onlineshop/rub/b00_3litre.php

I place a single ship, with its stand, base, base inserts, dial and every token that came with that expansion in it. I also have a box for 2 sets of damage cards.

For the larger ships, I use:

http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/usa/html/onlineshop/rub/b01_6litre.php

Again everything fits in there.

I then transport all my boxes in this:

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/plano-93701-aluminum-tool-box/6000001845824

I remove all the walls.

In my box I have 32 little boxes (I have about 10 empty, waiting to receive ships, but it means when I buy a ship at my LGS, I can play with it right away and bring it home in one piece), as well as 3 large ship boxes (I have 2 Firesprays in one box). I also have all the templates and asteroids in here:

http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/usa/html/onlineshop/rub/b00_8litre.php

My cards (sleeved) are in one of these:

http://www.ultrapro.com/product_info.php?products_id=1527

Everything fits in one box. Its neat, clean, everything is self contained, and best of all, I can take it to work and not advertise that I play with little toys. :)

I started by placing tokens and temples in ziplock bags. That was when I had a starter set. As I bought more, I bought a Plano 5231 and love it. Setup and take down is a fraction of the time and is great for my obsessive nature. I added a craft/file box for my fabric game mat and large ships, decorated in Star Wars Duck Tape of course. The Plano box is great and cheap but wish I got a large one to start.

Here are good images on the 5231 in use

http://www.google.com/search?q=plano+5231+x-wing&client=safari&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=VTnoUqXSOMO3rQHzrIFQ&ved=0CDsQ7Ak&biw=768&bih=946

I started by placing tokens and temples in ziplock bags. That was when I had a starter set. As I bought more, I bought a Plano 5231 and love it. Setup and take down is a fraction of the time and is great for my obsessive nature. I added a craft/file box for my fabric game mat and large ships, decorated in Star Wars Duck Tape of course. The Plano box is great and cheap but wish I got a large one to start.

Here are good images on the 5231 in use

http://www.google.com/search?q=plano+5231+x-wing&client=safari&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=VTnoUqXSOMO3rQHzrIFQ&ved=0CDsQ7Ak&biw=768&bih=946

Agree on the Plano 5231 - I own four of them and they've been an ideal solution for my X-Wing collection. I regularly use them to lug my stuff to tournaments and have never had a problem with pieces breaking or getting damaged either.

EDIT: As someone noted on BGG recently, they're actually on sale for just $9.99 right now on Amazon, so if you're interested it's a great time to grab some:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HJ9514/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000HJ9514&linkCode=as2&tag=x-wing0a-20

Edited by GlobeTrotting

I'm a musician, so I keep seeing y'all talk about carrying things around in a Piano, and get a bit confused.

Ha ha, nice. What do you play? My wife plays flute professionally.

I'm a trained F-Hornist (and Natural Hornist as well), Tenor, Composer, and Educator, though I've yet figured out how to turn any of those into a profession.

C'est la vie, non?

I'm a musician, so I keep seeing y'all talk about carrying things around in a Piano, and get a bit confused.

Ha ha, nice. What do you play? My wife plays flute professionally.

I'm a trained F-Hornist (and Natural Hornist as well), Tenor, Composer, and Educator, though I've yet figured out how to turn any of those into a profession.

C'est la vie, non?

I live near a University with a Conservatory that generally employs educators.  Maybe check there.

There are a few options available here, depending on how frequent you will be travelling and how rough it will be.

The cheap option:

If you're just driving there and you don't go regularly, you could just put your minis together and place them in a small box of tuperware container.  Potentially some tissues could be used for added protection.

The expensive option:

A KR Multicase allows you to store minis on their stands fully setup in the foam casing.  It is expensive but effective and will prevent your minis from being damaged.

The versatile option:

Either a Plano case, or other foam storage solutions will allow you to transport a large portion of your collection about safely, but you will need to put them on their bases etc when you arrive at your destination.  The Plano cases are a bit cheaper, but the foam provides a bit better protection.

Card can be stored either in the starter boxset along with your tokens, or in a binder or card box.  Tokens can be kept in the starter boxset box, or a small plano box for easy access during games.

My transport solution initially consisted of the starter boxset full of tokens in bags and a shoebox holding the ships in the plastic packaging and all of the dials and ship cards in bags in the same shoebox.  I've now upgraded to a metal case with foam padding (have to make the cuts yet), two largish plano cases with all of my dials, base cards and tokens used for game setup and a small plano box with the focus, evade, stress, etc tokens in it for easy access during games.  I put all of the plano cases into a bag which I can put over my shoulder and just carry the aluminium case by hand or over the shoulder.

Just remembered what I've seen some wargamers do.  They glued magnets to the bases and use a metal box for transport.  The magnets keep them from sliding around.

I have this setup for one of my 40K armies.  The downside is that it is heavy and some of the heavier models cannot lay on their side as the magnets won't hold them.  So it's good if they don't get bumped around much, but bad if you drop the box holding a Falcon in it.  From my personal experience (and I used rare earth magnets), it works but is only marginally better than the put them in a shoebox method.  The only benefits with the magnets is that they get bumped around less than the shoebox option (but no where near as well protected as the other options), and can be entertainingly stuck on your fridge.

I picked up the Snapware snap-n-stack boxes from Wal-mart. You get two trays and a lid, both trays have interlocking tabs at the ends all for $9.99. I've bought two so far and they hold all my stuff with some space to spare. I believe I have the 6x9x11 size trays. My X-Wing collection currently consists of 1 Core set, 1 X-Wing expansion, and 2 each of all the other expansions and I'm only using 3 of the 4 trays.

The third tray has both Falcons, all of my cards (using the original ziplock pouches), the rulebooks (Core and expansions), all of my maneuver dials, as well as a 6-foot length of star field fabric from Wal-Mart.

The second tray has both Lamba shuttles and both Firesprays as well as my asteroids and my maneuver templates.

The top tray holds the X-wing and 2 TIEs from the original set plus the 17 additional expansions (1 X-Wing, 2 A-Wings, 2 B-Wings, 2 Y-Wings, 2 TIE Fighters, 2 TIE Advanced, 2 TIE Bombers, 2 TIE Interceptors, & 2 HWK-290s) as well as 2 packs of dice and all my counters. In each tray, all of my ships are in their original plastic shells, I haven't gone to foam trays just yet. I'm pretty confident that I could probably store more in each try if I were to switch over to foam trays, I just don't have the motivation just yet.

I'm figuring I won't really start using the last tray until I buy another X-Wing, 2 TIE fighters, and a second copy of the Core set