Sign in to follow this  
phild0

List Development, Bombers and Ties

I like the look of several of the lists above, but want to try and get in another of the ships I'm excited to have shortly.

What do you think of the Orca and her pups?

Omicron Pilot, Engine Upgrade, HLC, Saboteur (34)

2 x Gamma, Cluster Missles (22)

Jonus (22)

I have little experience with all these ships but it seems like it could slow roll in and dare the opponent to close, or have the Gamma's move a bit forward to block and get their shots off...

I have given this, or a similar list a try. I think Scimitars with Clusters instead of Gammas. I preferred Scimitars SOLELY so I could have freedom to move my shuttle as I liked with the same PS 2 on scims and shuttle. I likely had Adv Sensors on shuttle. It worked pretty well, the shuttle hit even harder than I expected. However, once the enemies were able to wade through the bombers, it was difficult to pull off a victory. I think one game the shuttle was saved for last, came down to one HOPEFUL boost then 2 turn around an asteroid, but couldn't quite boost. The second game the shuttle likely died before the bombers, though if he had survived just one more round, which came down to 1 lucky no action shot, I could of taken just one more shot and taken out another B Wing.

I think I will try the list change mentioned above, with Assaults and Gammas. Adv sensor is useful, but can be replaced if Jonus is there to help.

Interesting ideas. I would like to keep the bombers bracketed to the range 1 or 2 increments, mainly to threaten folks who would get close so the lambda can smoke them at range. I play casual so an awing swarm might happen but not ties. Good to know though. Are you allowed to change ordinance in a tournament or do you fly the same list for every match?

I like the look of several of the lists above, but want to try and get in another of the ships I'm excited to have shortly.

What do you think of the Orca and her pups?

Omicron Pilot, Engine Upgrade, HLC, Saboteur (34)

2 x Gamma, Cluster Missles (22)

Jonus (22)

I have little experience with all these ships but it seems like it could slow roll in and dare the opponent to close, or have the Gamma's move a bit forward to block and get their shots off...

I would be curious to see how it worked. Just doesn't sound terribly nimble to me though I have tried Jendon with some of the bombers are that's worked alright, though I prefer to have something else as a buffer. Though I suppose more bombers might work if I had them.

Interesting ideas. I would like to keep the bombers bracketed to the range 1 or 2 increments, mainly to threaten folks who would get close so the lambda can smoke them at range. I play casual so an awing swarm might happen but not ties. Good to know though. Are you allowed to change ordinance in a tournament or do you fly the same list for every match?

In all the ones I've been to to make and play with the one list.

I played against, and had my first loss to, a pretty solid Imperial squad that eventually went on to win the local tournament last week. This is what it looked like (note, this is from memory and I haven't checked the points):

3x Academy Pilots (might have been 4)

Howlrunner + Swarm Tactics

2x Scimitar Squadron Pilot + Assault Missiles

He was able to get both missiles off and decimate my Biggs and my ships near him. After that, it was pretty much a foregone conclusion that he would win the match.

I was impressed. So much so, that I'm trying an A-Wing and Assault Missiles for my next Rebel Squad.

thats a good squad. after missiles it works as a regular tie-swarm.

I forgot to add this...

What I've had the most luck with is taking a working list, such as a Tie Swarm, and adding a little flavor with one or two bombers. The one I've had the most success with is:

Howlrunner

Scimitat + APT

Academy Pilot x 5

100pts

I play it like a swarm, the bomber in the mix. He adds just enough threat if I pull that Range 2/3 TL that my opponent will target him instead of howlrunner. It's just a bonus if he gets the TL + F APT off, which is generally about half of my games. If he gets taken outin the first 1/2 exchanges, no big deal. He at least can't be 1 shot like a Tie.

I forgot to add this...

What I've had the most luck with is taking a working list, such as a Tie Swarm, and adding a little flavor with one or two bombers. The one I've had the most success with is:

Howlrunner

Scimitat + APT

Academy Pilot x 5

100pts

I play it like a swarm, the bomber in the mix. He adds just enough threat if I pull that Range 2/3 TL that my opponent will target him instead of howlrunner. It's just a bonus if he gets the TL + F APT off, which is generally about half of my games. If he gets taken outin the first 1/2 exchanges, no big deal. He at least can't be 1 shot like a Tie.

I like the idea of using a bomber to draw some fire away from a more valuable yet more vulnerable ship. In that list Howl is obviously more important to your overall startegy but I'd be afraid enough of that APT that I'd be focusing on him to hopefully take out before he hits range 1. Meaniwhile Howl and the Ties are picking me apart. Good strategy. I'll have to watch out for that one.

phild0,

I have had similar success with a modified tie swarm, Gamma, 2 AP and 3 Ceptors. The bomber has 1 Proton and 1 sismic, or whatever other 6pt ordinance would be fun. The bomber took the heat off the ceptors long enough for them to get in and break something. 

In truck at mo so can't list all but have played many games flying a bomber/ tie list and one big thing I agree on is that a single bomber particularly with an APT works beautifully yo draw fire from Howlrunner especially as I always run her with squad leader just too help with target locking.

Came 3rd in a tourney end last year with a howl, BSP, gamma x3 build. 18 players.

Recently been flying a howl,jonus,gamma,gamma build. Been great against friends, recent tourney came 9th out of 18 but was a poor example. Bad choices by me,bad dice, unfortunate match ups, ie faced dual falcons twice. Just one of those days.

Have finalised loadout yet but most looking forward to a howl+SqL, BSP+DTF x2, Gamma x2 .

Lastly I also love the howl, academy x4, scimitar APT build have had lot if fun with that.

See no mention of Major Rymer here. Anyone managed to make good use of him? Seems to be a crazy points premium (4) over Jonus for +ps1 with a marginal pilot skill (only useful with APTs and CMs) or am I missing something? 

I would be curious to see how it worked. Just doesn't sound terribly nimble to me though I have tried Jendon with some of the bombers are that's worked alright, though I prefer to have something else as a buffer. Though I suppose more bombers might work if I had them.

Haven't tried it, but from paper using Jendon as target lock supplier for a group of bombers was one of my first thoughts, when looking through the shuttle pilots. Don't know if Jendon is worth it (or lives long enough to be worth it) when he already costs 31 points (with title and fire-control systems (aside from other upgrades)), but it might work, in particular when you want to give your bombers more than one missile to play with and the required locks that go with them.

I always thought the game went a bit close-fisted when giving "bomber" such few and expensive missiles, in particular when comparing to the Star-Wars guideline.

See no mention of Major Rymer here. Anyone managed to make good use of him? Seems to be a crazy points premium (4) over Jonus for +ps1 with a marginal pilot skill (only useful with APTs and CMs) or am I missing something?

I've played 3 or 4 games with:

Rhymer + PTL + APT + Concussion

Academy Tie x 5

I woukd send the ties in ahead, even keeping Rhymer of the fight for a while, as I KNOW the enemy will want him the most. Once the Ties get into a position to block, or the enemies have committed to killing them, Rhymer can finish the job with 2 shots! It has went 3-1, though I am not convinced it is versatile enough to handle all opponents. He's 40 pts, which can be replaced with a Bounty Hunter + HLC, which is a little safer, or some pumped up HLC shuttle would work too.