Sign in to follow this  
Edweird

Opposed checks and Skilled mutal Melee, an idea from my group

So one of my group brought this idea to my attention and our book diving did not find any justification for it.

The basic idea is standard dice mechanics work fine for when a skilled Melee oriented character gets engaged with a non Melee focused minion/nemesis. However when it is a melee fight between two skilled melee fighters, a single opposed check per active step may be more appropriate with the bias(good dice) given to the fighter currently active on the initiative train. The reason an opposed check makes sence is because it is a contest of skill, which often should involve parrys and counterattacks. Take for instance the "duel of fates" fight in Ep 1, where hits are nearly non-existant yet drama is high.

The same idea could be applied to blaster fire at lightsaber weilding force users taking a guarded stance maneuver. Where a triumph could be spent to reflect blaster bolts into the shooter, and say, 4 advantages could be spent to randomly assign as a reflected hit against one of the shooters allies. A reduction in cost could come from more defensive lightsaber forms if they are implemented, but thats alot of jumping the proverbial shark.

The problem I see with this change is that melee/brawl become more difficult but blaster fire is the same.  If i remember correctly, firing at a target that your engaged with is 2 difficulty die (3 for heavy).  This leads to the question, "why would anyone want to melee/brawl under that rule?"

The problem I see with this change is that melee/brawl become more difficult but blaster fire is the same.  If i remember correctly, firing at a target that your engaged with is 2 difficulty die (3 for heavy).  This leads to the question, "why would anyone want to melee/brawl under that rule?"

Or you simply spend one maneuver to disengage and fire from Short range at Difficulty 1. Melee and Brawl are already sub-optimal choices for anyone that's not totally focused on them. This would make it far worse.

The thought process about regular ranged staying the same hinges on hitting a man sized target which is not augmented by the targets skill. Melee is just as much the act of hitting hard as it is avoiding/blocking/deflecting incoming blows. My player is in love with melee in pretty much of all the game systems he plays, the more perilous the better. So although I am trying to maintain an even keel, I like the idea of keeping melee scary, especially for the unskilled combatants such as minions(who should get blown through like the chuds they are). This is not a huge deal, just thought contested melee was a clever way for a semi drawn out drama.

I admit, I haven't discussed intergrating the ranged vs melee monster engagement with him.

I'm going to do an opposed roll, lightsaber duel for a character involving a fallen Jedi, but that's to simulate a one-strike thing like they do in samurai movies. I wouldn't do that as a matter of course, though.

If your NPC has a stat/skill of 3/3, that's three RED dice to every melee roll. Versus one purple with my blaster at close range? What is this, Raiders of the Lost Ark?? :-P

If your NPC has a stat/skill of 3/3, that's three RED dice to every melee roll. Versus one purple with my blaster at close range? What is this, Raiders of the Lost Ark?? :-P

That's why ranged weapons were invented, because melee fighting is brutal.

I don't mind the current melee system, but I do agree with the sentiment of the OP that things like lightsaber fights won't work so well. Given minimal competency using the current system, lightsaber fights will be over in 2 rounds, with the loser well over their wound threshold. But in all the movies and TCW, duels last for a while and often no one is even injured. Hopefully F&D will offer an exciting mechanic to bring parries and other defences into play, such as allowing wounds to be converted into strain...

I don't mind the current melee system, but I do agree with the sentiment of the OP that things like lightsaber fights won't work so well. Given minimal competency using the current system, lightsaber fights will be over in 2 rounds, with the loser well over their wound threshold. But in all the movies and TCW, duels last for a while and often no one is even injured. Hopefully F&D will offer an exciting mechanic to bring parries and other defences into play, such as allowing wounds to be converted into strain...

I'm assuming so. Right now we're in anh and empire, not exactly known for skilled saber duels. FaD should have more.

That said... I'm not gonna set my hopes too high. The current mechanic isn't perfect, but it also prevents melee from lasting forever and dragging on. I'll be surprised if any enhancements do more then allow a saber fight to last 5 rounds instead of 2.

I don't mind the current melee system, but I do agree with the sentiment of the OP that things like lightsaber fights won't work so well. Given minimal competency using the current system, lightsaber fights will be over in 2 rounds, with the loser well over their wound threshold. But in all the movies and TCW, duels last for a while and often no one is even injured. 

I'm never a fan of trying to figure out what game mechanics could/should be used to explain scenes in movies that are not even considering anything like a game, or anything beyond looking cool. 

But in this case I'd say defensive talents are the reason.