Sign in to follow this  
HoyaLawya

Next FAQ for Store Champs or not until Regionals?

I've seen discussion on other sites about a potential FAQ for Store Championships. This thread isn't about speculation on potential changes to the restricted list or what you hope to see. Has anyone heard if we're going to get one then or not until regionals?

Previously the next FAQ was for Regionals, but we didn't have the Store Championships. I tried contacting FFG asking if we would get a FAQ or at least updated Tourney Rules for the new chapter packs, but I haven't heard back.

I haven't seen any reliable information, official or otherwise, about an upcoming FAQ. It depends how much they view store championships as season (whether they're willing to release an FAQ partway through), and how worried they are about Worlds/Stahleck trends post FAQ 4.2. 

In their shoes, I'd probably wait out Store season, collect data for a regionals FAQ - with a possible consideration of a change to pentoshi manor. I'd guess that if there isn't one by next thursday, there won't be one until pre-regionals, but that's pure speculation. 

I tried contacting FFG asking if we would get a FAQ or at least updated Tourney Rules for the new chapter packs, but I haven't heard back.

You shouldn't really need an updated copy of the tourney rules to say which chapter packs are legal. The current set specifies that the list if for the 2013 World Championship season, which is obviously done. So the default of "upon their release" should kick in. As such, no one has a particularly reasonable argument for excluding the 3 chapter packs we've gotten since then from the store championships.

It's been about 3 and a half months since the last FAQ. Stuff has happened since then, including finishing the Kingsroad cycle. I'd guess (and its just a guess) that we're likely to see a new FAQ soon - before the release of the first pack from the next cycle - not because of the store championships, but because it is a good time in the sales/release cycle to update it.

Considering that Store Championships have pretty official implications, something formal is needed. Speculation won't cut it. One store championship can't use a different card pool than another as a Regional bye is on the line. If there's no official statement, it could get messy.

One store championship can't use a different card pool than another as a Regional bye is on the line.

Why do you say that? People showed up at Worlds with byes earned with different card pools (there was NO attempt to "normalize" the card pool across the various National Championships), and earned in different tournament formats (Melee, Joust, and combined - which events were played as part of the Regional competition are left to the individual TOs). Each CP became legal as it became available over the 3-month long 2013 USA Regional season, so its not like FFG sees adding 20-60 cards to the pool over the course of the season as skewing or invalidating results. 

Given that FFG didn't see all of that as "messy" in 2013, why do we think the potential addition of 20-40 cards over the 2 months of store championships would be worse? Even if we see new tourney rules before store championships, the card pool will not be fixed.

The only parallel thing I would say is that the restricted and banned lists should not change over the course of the store championship events.

As the game grows, so will the nitpickers. I could easily see someone get jilted when a different store championship they could've attended allowed a card that they wanted to play at theirs and complaining that some other player got a regional bye with the exact same deck +1 card that they intended on playing but were restricted from doing so.

I'm referring explcitly to the concept "All Store Championships that can have the same available card pool need to use the same card pool." This doesn't apply to introduction of new CPs. Once a new CP is introduced, though, it needs to be legal at all Store Championships or not at any.

There is currently room for differences and that will get messy as the meta grows because it won't just go from one or two guys jilted by the experience, but enough to be a significant detriment to the growth of the game.

There is currently room for differences and that will get messy as the meta grows because it won't just go from one or two guys jilted by the experience, but enough to be a significant detriment to the growth of the game.

These predictions of doom brought to you by....

Look, I understand what you're saying, I just think you're blowing it way out of proportion. The vast majority of players probably aren't involved in OP at all, and those that are are probably only involved at the local - showing up to a store or regional championship in their area. You're comparing yourself against all the people you competed against, not against the whole world. 

As long as the people I'm playing against in my tournament are playing by the same rules as me, why should whether the Polish National champion was 2 CPs behind, the Days of Ice and Fire champion had one extra CP, and the last two local tournaments of the season had a different restricted list detract from my enjoyment of the game or my acknowledgment of their respective skills? Even if I am comparing myself against the world meta, I know that as a top-quality player I have to adapt to the meta of the tournament I'm in. It's not "unfair" that my rush deck would work better at one regional than another, simply because I gained a card from the new CP or combo decks are more popular in that area.

The only aspect of this I could see as 'jilting' players is if the FAQ change happens suddenly mid-season, and is applied immediately so you're left with one or two days to completely re-build your deck or re-evaluate your meta.

I agree with your concept - one of the reasons I said I think the restricted and banned lists should not change during an event cycle - but I guess I'm just not seeing the "differences" you say there is room for. Do you really think any Store Championship TO will bar the final 3 packs of the Kingsroad cycle just because they aren't listed on a document intended to control last year's events?

I agree with your concept - one of the reasons I said I think the restricted and banned lists should not change during an event cycle - but I guess I'm just not seeing the "differences" you say there is room for. Do you really think any Store Championship TO will bar the final 3 packs of the Kingsroad cycle just because they aren't listed on a document intended to control last year's events?

We have no idea what a given TO will do. They could not allow 1 CP and that could irritate someone. Again, it doesn't matter what the odds of it are. It would be taken care of if there was simply an official statement from FFG. Right now there isn't. It's not like this takes much effort. Hell, they could just post it as an official announcement here. I think it's easy to underestimate the impact of this since this community is relatively small compared to other serious competitive gaming communities where things like this happen a lot.