Sign in to follow this  
HappyDaze

Duty in Edge

I don't care for the Obligation mechanic. I don't like having a mechanism that's built around reducing a score to avoid penalties (especially as group Obligation goes >100). Instead, I'm looking at reworking Duty (found in the Age of Rebellion Beta) for use in Edge since it's a system that builds upward towards rewards.

However, for this to work, it would require that the PCs have ties to a larger organization similar to Obligations like Dutybound and Sponsorship (found in Enter the Unknown). This doesn't seem too unusual, since any of the following should be appropriate:

Black Sun

Bounty Hunters' Guild

Hutt Clan (various)

Local/System/Sector Criminal Syndicate (various)

ISB

Rebel Alliance

CSA

Local/System/Sector Government (various)

Corporation (various)

University (various)

This would mean that complications that are normally associated with Obligation are now handled more freely by the GM and players as they arise. It should be possible to have Duty scores to one or more organizations, but there is always a risk that you'll be pulled in cross directions. It's also possible to stay totally independent, but this also means that there is no mechanical reward available as there is to those that fulfill their Duty.

I'm also considering tracking each character's Duty score individually, with that individual gaining a personal reward from the organization each the score reaches 100 and is 'cashed in' rather than a group reward. This would show the competitive nature of these organizations, and it's quite possible that some group members will pull more than their share and should be rewarded appropriately. Of course, clever characters might be able to steal the credit for some of their companions' contributions, but such is the politics of working in the shadows.

So how does individual (rather than group) tracking sound?

Note that I will not be rolling to see if Duty (I think I'll change the name) is activated; it is merely a progress meter on making/keeping your organization(s) happy. It will start at 0 (optionally 10 for a starting character) and a reward will be provided for every 100 points earned. It would be possible to both gain and lose points, and dropping below a threshold might invoke some sort of penalty from the organization. Note that often doing something that gains you points for one organization might lose you points in other organizations - they don't all play nice with one another.

I have only ran one major adventure so far, and Obligation was activated. Our group's Obligation is around 70 right now with 5 people. The character that was activated had the highest Strain anyway. He took a whooping -2 and everyone else took the fatal -1.  :D

They really did well to show why this was affecting the group. They brought the mechanic into the game and role played along with it. 

Just like everything else, it is up to the GM to do what they want. If you have a good reason to have the group go over 100 and still let them spend XP, then thats fine. 

I feel that the Obligation is a great part of EotE. Not to say that there is no room in EotE for Duty (hehehe), I just don't see the need t get rid of it entirely. 

I really wouldn't to track each Duty separately. I don't see why the group would each be working for a different organization. I strive to have my group working as a Group.

So if you are going to get rid of Obligation and bring in Duty, why play EotE and not AoR? Not really much a difference in them anyway. Are you going to force your players to have these ties to organizations if they don't want to?

So I am trying to get my group of 5 through their adventures fighting the NPC foes, not fighting with each other. Also, I don't see the need to amputate a healthy, vital part of the game. 

While you have a well thought out idea, I don't really see a need for it, but too each their own. 

Good luck with your Duty (hehehehehehe) childish I know.  :P

Edited by R2builder

I like obligation and strain...like as stress or pressure.  I think it's a neat concept and I use it, but I don't roll on a chart for the party as a whole.  I'll implement Duty as well and prefer a system where there is no actual number the players can manipulate.  It's a story and as it unfolds the players can impact it..but no via a chart.  I know I ramble, but ultimately what I'm trying to say is I use the stat but don't publish it for consumption.  

Here is my groups chart. I can understand people not wanting to use a chart, but it's not bad. I suggest giving it try  :rolleyes:

I don't roll on the chart...When the group rolls for destiny points, the one who rolls the most dark side pips get to roll the percentile.  :lol: I'm jacked up that way.... 

Group OBLIGOMETER

1-25 Group Debt to Boljo Bulpa for The Kimogila Claw*

26-30 Vash “Doc” Sol Felony criminal record and dis-honorable discharge from Imperial Navy

31-35 Gregis Gavton Debt

36-40 Taven Malore Betrayed by his former bounty hunter partner and mentor, Taven searches space in hopes of finding his betrayer

41-45 Rhenn Fairsworth Trying to get back into Politics

46-55 Rhenn Fairsworth Slave to fashion, expensive cloths and fine grooming

56-60 Jorran Hiwater Favor owed to Boljo Bulpa

61-70 Jorran Hiwater Seeking revenge for the man who sold him into slavery

Edited by R2builder

No one has to take on Duty (I think I'm going to call it Allegiance). If they don't, they don't have to worry about it. No bad but no good either. Note that there will be thresholds for certain actions - if you want to meet a higher up in your organization, you might need a minimum Allegiance score of 30 (or such).

There is no reason that characters must have Allegiance to different groups, but they're each tracked individually since, while Bert and Ziggy both work for the same syndicate, Bert has been more successful so his Allegiance score is higher and he's likely to get better treatment from the syndicate because of that.