Sign in to follow this  
HTMC

Destiny Deck (Custom rewards)

Hey everyone!

My playgroup has always been a fan of custom rewards, originally inspired by the "Drama Cards" unofficially produced for D&D. It's a really nice alternative to items, XP, or other normal rewards, and players generally find them really cool and worth working for (we often use them as a reward for good roleplaying, among other things). 

Since we recently started our first EotE campaign, I decided to make a new set for the system, and have produced what I'm calling the Destiny Deck. I figured there's a chance others may get some use out of them, so I figured I'd share! Feel free to use, modify, or whatever them for your own games if you feel so inclined. 

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tq6cz3unnnp12b6/Ek4f1mJMXy

In general they get 'better' as you get to higher numbers, and often I have players roll a 1d100 to determine which they get, sometimes with + modifiers based on why they're getting a card. If you have any thoughts or feedback I'm happy to hear it, I had a lot of fun making these (I apologize for any typos). 

-HTMC

Very cool. I'm gonna have to make use of these when the campaign gets rolling again. Darn my perfection. I write somewhere around 90 pages for campaigns and only end up using at most maybe 25! haha! But they always end up great.

I do have a question though. Is there a reference chart anywhere? I'm not sure what <AD> stands for and a few others. If you could make a post that has them all and what they stand for, that would be great. Apparently I'm terrible at deciphering them.

This is pretty cool. But how do you use them exactly? Players roll d100 to get one as a "reward" at some point, and then can play them at some point in the future? Does it cost "Destiny" to play them (based on the name you've given them) ? Are they "one time use only" ? I'm intrigued by the concept, just trying to understand how it's supposed to work since I'm not familiar with "Drama Cards" you mention from D&D.

These seem pretty cool. Not too sure if I will use them yet or not, but awesome work nonetheless! Thanks for sharing your ideas and hard work. 

I agree with SoS, the actual EotE symbols are an almost mandatory touch needed. That would take it to the Calrissian level!

*Lando voice*

Well hello, what do we have here....

Edited by R2builder

I do have a question though. Is there a reference chart anywhere? I'm not sure what <AD> stands for and a few others. If you could make a post that has them all and what they stand for, that would be great. Apparently I'm terrible at deciphering them.

I'm guessing, but:

<AD> = Advantage

<TH> = Threat

<SU> = Success

(can't find anything for Failure)

<TR> = Triumph

<DR> = Despair

<B> = Boost die

^ That's totally correct, sorry for not making that clear. Thanks for posting for me Col. Orange :-)

This is pretty cool. But how do you use them exactly? Players roll d100 to get one as a "reward" at some point, and then can play them at some point in the future? Does it cost "Destiny" to play them (based on the name you've given them) ? Are they "one time use only" ? I'm intrigued by the concept, just trying to understand how it's supposed to work since I'm not familiar with "Drama Cards" you mention from D&D.

Traditionally for my group yes, when they "earn" a card they roll a 1d100, and since my group is currently playing online a copy of that card gets put into the player's folder in our synced campaign folder via Dropbox. (when we were playing in-person I actually would have printed-out copies to physically give the card). They can play them whenever they want, particularly if it's thematically/dramatically appropriate, and don't cost anything to use. They are all one-use only.

With that said, that's just how my group uses them, you are encouraged to be creative and use them however suits your play-group! If you think of anything particularly different I'm happy to hear it.

These look really awesome.  Just curious as why using abbreviations instead of actual icons?  With all of the cool graphics that went into these, I would think that getting these icons and adding them wouldn't be a major effort, and make them much easier to use.

At the time I actually could not find the actual icons anywhere to use. Just yesterday I saw someone had posted here in the forums a font with all the symbols, so I will probably take some time this weekend to redo the text with the right icons (and fix the few typos I had caught since I finished the set). If I do I will repost them!

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback, if you do end up using them I hope they make your campaign more interesting and enjoyable!

*Comic book guy voice*:

Worst, cards, ever...

These are not "cards" there is no back to them.

:P

Love them, and was getting ready to print, ,but there is no back to them... 

Would it be possible for you to add a "back" card? 

For those of us not too familiar with the concept, how do you use them, more exactly?

What do you reward them for, for example? When?

Would I be right in assuming that you hand them out after particularly appropriate roleplaying or otherwise epic moments, on an individual basis? And when you do so, have them roll a 1d100 to pick a deck?

Since I play on Roll20, these would be amazing to throw into a Card Deck there and then just have the players pull a card out of it when appropriate, even if it doesn't happen every session.

UHF, I put them into powerpoint and printed. They are a little on small side as I fit 10 to one page, but it works. I can get them into my dropbox and send out the link if you want.

Fgdsfg, I think you got it about right. Thats how I intend to use them. There may be a couple that I will pull out the deck and not allow, e.g. Turning a Despair into a Threat. 

Basically a little reward to the players for a great idea, or great role playing. I will start off tomorrow session by giving each player one. Then as rewards after that. 

Edited by R2builder

*Disclaimer*

I take no credit for this work. This is all the ideas and work of HTMC here on the FFG Forum. I simply added his images into powerpoint for ease of printing. If anyone wishes this link removed from the FFG Forum, please let me know. This is simply a powerpoint presentation of his Destiny Deck. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8edfbc8takka13c/Presentation1.pptx

All 100 cards are here, just out of order. I was going to get them into order, but I got bored.  :mellow:

Ok, 99 cards, 22 is twice, I am missing 11  :rolleyes:

Working on a fix...

Edited by R2builder

:P

Love them, and was getting ready to print, ,but there is no back to them... 

Would it be possible for you to add a "back" card? 

Currently working on editing in the symbols and I'm going to try and make a back as well! Good point, since my campaign is currently online-only I haven't had to think about printing like I had in the past so it completely slipped my mind.

For those of us not too familiar with the concept, how do you use them, more exactly?

What do you reward them for, for example? When?

Would I be right in assuming that you hand them out after particularly appropriate roleplaying or otherwise epic moments, on an individual basis? And when you do so, have them roll a 1d100 to pick a deck?

Since I play on Roll20, these would be amazing to throw into a Card Deck there and then just have the players pull a card out of it when appropriate, even if it doesn't happen every session.

Honestly, I use them as a variety of rewards. In general I like keeping everyone at the same XP levels (my players are forgetful so it makes tracking easier) which would mean the only reward I have easily available are items, so the cards make for a nice change. Things I've awarded them for in the past:

-Having their character sheets/campaign prep/etc. in on time

-Particularly great roleplaying (great speech, hilarious joke, making a detrimental but in-character decision, etc)

-Doing something particularly awesome (in a non-roleplaying sense)

-My players unanimously agreeing something a fellow player did deserved one

Usually if someone earns one, they roll for it at the end of the session, and can use it anytime at all in the future (although some players tend to hoard them for the final session/a super important battle/etc). And yes, typically they just roll a 1d100 to determine card, re-rolling if they already have the one they rolled. In very rare circumstances I'll reward a specific one if it's thematically appropriate based on why they earned the card.

My campaign is also currently running through Roll20, I didn't even consider trying to use the deck-tool in the program. That's a great idea!

*Disclaimer*

I take no credit for this work. This is all the ideas and work of HTMC here on the FFG Forum. I simply added his images into powerpoint for ease of printing. If anyone wishes this link removed from the FFG Forum, please let me know. This is simply a powerpoint presentation of his Destiny Deck. 

All 100 cards are here, just out of order. I was going to get them into order, but I got bored.  :mellow:

Thanks for the disclaimer, but the only response I have is thanks for helping :-) It's cool to see other people invested in something I worked on. 

Anyway, like I said, currently working on editing the cards to include the symbols, I'll post the updated deck as soon as I do. Thank again for all the feedback everyone!

*Disclaimer*

Thanks for making them printable. However, one thing I noticed after having cut all of them out is you forgot to include number 11 "I'm Not Afraid". You instead have number 22 in there twice.  :lol:

Yeah, sorry about that. We noticed it to after I had printed them and one of the guys from the group my cut them out. I will get this fixed and and the proper ordering done on it. I was in kind of a rush to get this done, I wanted to use the deck in my adventure on Saturday.

Glad to help out with this.

A little feedback from our use this Saturday.

The players seemed to enjoy them,but not everyone used their card. Some of the cards can be kind of difficult to use in certain situations. One of the players has a card that can bring in an NPC to the group, and another has a card that can bring a character form the movies/EU. They were in the middle of the jungle planet Cholganna, so it would be hared/awkward to have random people showing up. :lol:  I have not had (ok, made) the time to really go over all of them. So far there is one card that I will not allow in my game, that is the one where you can turn a Despair into a Threat. Despairs come up so rarely that nothing can wipe them out. So we have 99 cards... I started the day out by having everyone randomly getting  a card, then I handed a few out throughout the day for really really awesome ideas and great role playing. 

We were doing Act II of BtR. The group was exploring the the Sa Nalor main hull, and decided they wanted into the vault area, but it was smashed and buried into the river bed. They had no heavy cutting tools or machinery with them. About this time the Yiyar clan shows up and lands next to their ship, 5 of them come out with guns drawn. The group has a discussion on how to handle the situation (probably way to long, but oh well). They decide to play it cool, and see if they can get the clan to help them get into the vault and split any loot. The player of the Politico also drew the Destiny Deck card 33 Your Weapon. So as they approach the Clan; who had gotten a severe beat down at the Wheel, the politico played the Destiny card, and also role played out the encounter to great effect. Yav Yiyar agreed to have his guys holster their weapons, and in the end they were able to get the Clan to work them, and helped them fight the Imperial Intelligence (I know the book says ISB, but I like the II) when they arrived.

So with a combined effect of the Clans beat down on the Wheel, it was an ultra short chase because of multiple Triumphs from two players, the great plan ands role playing and the addition of the Destiny Card, the adventure took a turn not really expected by the adventure module for a truly epic encounter and awesome twist to the adventure. Also, since they have the uneasy truce with the Clan, they are not trying to kill each other at the moment! A few other cards were played that day as well, but this one is the most striking/memorable to me because it really helped push the adventure and made for a lasting change to it. With out it, I feel the negotiations would not have been as "nice" or amiable. It definitely would have had this lasting effect of peace between the Group and the Clan.

So thank you very much HTMC for being part of our game, and bringing so much to my table! These were a wonderful addition to the adventure, and I will definitely keep using them in the future. I may PM you with some suggestions if you would like to hear them for additional/alternate cards.  

I will have the Power point fixed here in a day or two, and will provide anew link. HTMC, please feel free to host the power point link on your drop box as well. Again, THANKS!!! :)

Yeah, sorry about that. We noticed it to after I had printed them and one of the guys from the group my cut them out. I will get this fixed and and the proper ordering done on it. I was in kind of a rush to get this done, I wanted to use the deck in my adventure on Saturday.

Glad to help out with this.

A little feedback from our use this Saturday.

The players seemed to enjoy them,but not everyone used their card. Some of the cards can be kind of difficult to use in certain situations. One of the players has a card that can bring in an NPC to the group, and another has a card that can bring a character form the movies/EU. They were in the middle of the jungle planet Cholganna, so it would be hared/awkward to have random people showing up. :lol:  I have not had (ok, made) the time to really go over all of them. So far there is one card that I will not allow in my game, that is the one where you can turn a Despair into a Threat. Despairs come up so rarely that nothing can wipe them out. So we have 99 cards... I started the day out by having everyone randomly getting  a card, then I handed a few out throughout the day for really really awesome ideas and great role playing. 

We were doing Act II of BtR. The group was exploring the the Sa Nalor main hull, and decided they wanted into the vault area, but it was smashed and buried into the river bed. They had no heavy cutting tools or machinery with them. About this time the Yiyar clan shows up and lands next to their ship, 5 of them come out with guns drawn. The group has a discussion on how to handle the situation (probably way to long, but oh well). They decide to play it cool, and see if they can get the clan to help them get into the vault and split any loot. The player of the Politico also drew the Destiny Deck card 33 Your Weapon. So as they approach the Clan; who had gotten a severe beat down at the Wheel, the politico played the Destiny card, and also role played out the encounter to great effect. Yav Yiyar agreed to have his guys holster their weapons, and in the end they were able to get the Clan to work them, and helped them fight the Imperial Intelligence (I know the book says ISB, but I like the II) when they arrived.

So with a combined effect of the Clans beat down on the Wheel, it was an ultra short chase because of multiple Triumphs from two players, the great plan ands role playing and the addition of the Destiny Card, the adventure took a turn not really expected by the adventure module for a truly epic encounter and awesome twist to the adventure. Also, since they have the uneasy truce with the Clan, they are not trying to kill each other at the moment! A few other cards were played that day as well, but this one is the most striking/memorable to me because it really helped push the adventure and made for a lasting change to it. With out it, I feel the negotiations would not have been as "nice" or amiable. It definitely would have had this lasting effect of peace between the Group and the Clan.

So thank you very much HTMC for being part of our game, and bringing so much to my table! These were a wonderful addition to the adventure, and I will definitely keep using them in the future. I may PM you with some suggestions if you would like to hear them for additional/alternate cards.  

I will have the Power point fixed here in a day or two, and will provide anew link. HTMC, please feel free to host the power point link on your drop box as well. Again, THANKS!!! :)

Awesome! I really want to use these in my game. Though I will say that it sounds like you've been giving them out a lot more frequently than what I plan on giving them out. I'll probably never give out more than 2 or 3 every 4 or 5 sessions. I see them as something that should only be given out rarely. 

Edited by Daniel Anteron

Just an update for those who are following: due to some issues with the program I used to make the cards (Magic Set Editor) it's proving incredibly more difficult than expected to get the symbols added into the cards. I'm still working on it, but I didn't have enough time this weekend and adding the symbols would require editing with code and stuff like that… Still looking for some other easy alternative, maybe worst case just re-editing the cards in Photoshop since not too many actually have symbols. My friend who does graphic design work is also working on a card back, but no solid ETA on that unfortunately. Sorry it wasn't as quick as I was hoping.

Thanks for sharing, it's really cool to hear how they've impacted other campaigns! I'm not familiar with that adventure, but glad you were able to adjust based on the cards. Not too surprising that not everyone used their cards, they're often (and designed to be) fairly powerful, and my players typically hoard the ones they see as such. And it definitely makes sense that some would be difficult to use, the understanding in my group is always that every card has the caveat of "per GM discretion" and so players only use them when it seems like it would make sense. And yeah, if you have suggestions feel free to let me know. I can even provide the set-up for how to make your own cards if you want to add some of your own into the deck or replace some you don't like.

Awesome! I really want to use these in my game. Though I will say that it sounds like you've been giving them out a lot more frequently than what I plan on giving them out. I'll probably never give out more than 2 or 3 every 4 or 5 sessions. I see them as something that should only be given out rarely. 

Yeah, in my campaign (after giving each player 1 for having their materials ready on time) I typically hand out 1, in certain cases 2, per session. But it really depends on your GM style, your playgroup, how you want your campaign to go, etc. I feel like it's just like certain groups tend to accumulate XP faster than others, hit higher grade weapons sooner, or things like that. 

Just an update for those who are following: due to some issues with the program I used to make the cards (Magic Set Editor) it's proving incredibly more difficult than expected to get the symbols added into the cards. I'm still working on it, but I didn't have enough time this weekend and adding the symbols would require editing with code and stuff like that… Still looking for some other easy alternative, maybe worst case just re-editing the cards in Photoshop since not too many actually have symbols. My friend who does graphic design work is also working on a card back, but no solid ETA on that unfortunately. Sorry it wasn't as quick as I was hoping.

Without being a pro, I think the easiest way to go about adding the symbols are saving the symbols as small images and then add a code snippet to MSE which converts e.g. "<AD>" as text into the corresponding symbol. This is how it's done with the mana cost symbols e.g. "1:" as text becomes a neutral mana cost of 1. You can probably look up the code in one of the Magic styles.

Wow, amazing idea! I also keep my players on the same level xp-wise and was recentlyt hinking about a way for small rewards... And here we are! Here you are! 

I hate to be THAT guy, but do you have these in a form of a nice table? I don't have a  way to print all of them and also we're trying to limit the number of papers on the table (after WFRP 3ed...). If you don't It's okay I'll try to re-write the texts...

Anyway - once again - thanks!