Sign in to follow this  
Joe Boss Red Seven

STAR TREK...Okayyy, Now I Can! :)

On the positive side, Star Trek will be able to keep releasing models for some time as opposed to the so far limited X-Wing. You've got all the ships and all the races from Star Trek, Star Trek Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager, Enterprise and all the movies.

That's a lotta stuff.

I'm looking at collecting Borg, Dominion, Kazon and Romulans. But I must admit, I don't like the preview pictures of the ships. Paint job is....in a word....YIKES!

Thanks for the link to Eaglemoss.

Right, and to my shock, a few guys like us have posted costumer images of the rotten WIZers sneaky marketing of the ships. You had to shake your head in disgust Brothers. Here I was loving Star Trek, almost as much as Star Wars, and Star Blazers, and I'm looking at the kinda decent official product images at Zon. Then...I notice the plan, no markings, no details, looks like a ten year old slopped 'em REAL Paint jobs.

In fact...hold up.

I'm going to go find that ****.

:angry:

Okay here is what a potential customer sees at Amazon.

31icA%2BLhnrL.jpg

Not to bad at all...

But hold up.

THIS is what a customer (victim) shared in the cool Customer Images, to show what he actually received for his money.

51XYPLINh8L.jpg

Hell Nah!

:o

Another of our Star Brothers got it even worse!!!

513QMqP0EvL.jpg

Now...that just ain't right!

:rolleyes:

FFG is doing this right, and while we like to fuse and such a bit from time to time, we should be happy about what has been done with X-WING.

;)

Anyhow...I am very happy to discover these new ships. Some of the models are off in scale, true,  but there are work arounds for the striking cases I think.

:)

You think that is bad, wait till you see THEIR version of the Excelsior........misleading dosn`t even begin to cover it..

Those are nice but way too big.  I ditched the pathetic WK ships for Micromachines:

20131022_093041_zps08a70c88.jpg

20131022_092941_zps6fc154bb.jpg

That's exactly what I'm going to do when I get into it. I have Micromachines for almost all of the ships released so far. Closer to the right scale and much better looking models.

Yeah I already figured that out. I am going to have to get some of the goodies from other sources.

comparisontest51.jpg

The Hunt is a lot of fun too.

:D

I already have the small versions of the Birds Of Prey found...Ka-Zow!

:lol:

Borg Cube?

:ph34r:

That chart isn't terribly accurate, nor has it taken into account all canon sources.  Also, on the subject of the new Enterprises size... well, http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Constitution_class_%28alternate_reality%29#Size

Just a heads up for those that it would matter to, much like the Wizkids minis, the Eaglemoss ships are in no way in scale to each other, but are relatively the same physical size.

Every possible detail has been scaled down and reproduced to make these models some of the most faithful replicas ever produced. Because of the differences in scale between a massive ship such as the U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-D and its tiny precursor the Enterprise NX-01, the ships have all been sculpted to sizes between 120mm and 140mm long. - See more at: http://www.startrek-starships.com/usa/starships.asp#sthash.w8kuX52l.dpuf

BGG has a thread with the scale of many of the ships and available substitutes if you're looking to keep them relatively close.

Oh, as someone who plays both games, I'd say a pro for Attack Wing is due to the sheer number of unique cards and the way lists are built for 100 point matches, there is little reason to buy more than 1 copy of many of the ships. A starter box and 1 or two boosters can be very competitive.

Con (and a pro I guess) - About half the movement templates are different so things don't go quite where you expect them til you get used to it and if you pick up fancy templates you'll need a Trek specific set. 

Edited by kitsune23

If you ever need a bunch of Non canon ships to fool around with let me know. Especially for the poor underrepresented Romulans. Trek is the third of the holy trinity for me as well

I might just do that.

On the positive side, Star Trek will be able to keep releasing models for some time as opposed to the so far limited X-Wing. You've got all the ships and all the races from Star Trek, Star Trek Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager, Enterprise and all the movies.

That's a lotta stuff.

I'm looking at collecting Borg, Dominion, Kazon and Romulans. But I must admit, I don't like the preview pictures of the ships. Paint job is....in a word....YIKES!

Thanks for the link to Eaglemoss.

Right, and to my shock, a few guys like us have posted costumer images of the rotten WIZers sneaky marketing of the ships. You had to shake your head in disgust Brothers. Here I was loving Star Trek, almost as much as Star Wars, and Star Blazers, and I'm looking at the kinda decent official product images at Zon. Then...I notice the plan, no markings, no details, looks like a ten year old slopped 'em REAL Paint jobs.

In fact...hold up.

I'm going to go find that ****.

Okay here is what a potential customer sees at Amazon.

31icA%2BLhnrL.jpg

Not to bad at all...

But hold up.

THIS is what a customer (victim) shared in the cool Customer Images, to show what he actually received for his money.

51XYPLINh8L.jpg

Hell Nah!

:o

Another of our Star Brothers got it even worse!!!

513QMqP0EvL.jpg

Now...that just ain't right!

FFG is doing this right, and while we like to fuse and such a bit from time to time, we should be happy about what has been done with X-WING.

;)

Anyhow...I am very happy to discover these new ships. Some of the models are off in scale, true,  but there are work arounds for the striking cases I think.

You think that is bad, wait till you see THEIR version of the Excelsior........misleading dosn`t even begin to cover it..

Did you get Ka-Zapped too Buddie?

I have purchased nothing yet, except that beautiful Reliant pictured in my initial post.

Yeah I already figured that out. I am going to have to get some of the goodies from other sources.

comparisontest51.jpg

Borg Cube?

That chart isn't terribly accurate, nor has it taken into account all canon sources.  Also, on the subject of the new Enterprises size... well, http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Constitution_class_%28alternate_reality%29#Size

I am not a scale freak, if it looks good to me then it is good enough.

In the films most of the time most of the ships all looked about the same size...

They all looked the same size, mostly the same size.

:P

What I want is for models to look awesome, and look close to what I have in my heart from the films and shows, the rest is nerd nit-pick-BS, and dat me don't not do.

^_^

Dat model iz zee crap, for it tis 3MM out of zee cor-rect-scale!!!

Ahh.... Shad -Up!!!

Just a heads up for those that it would matter to, much like the Wizkids minis, the Eaglemoss ships are in no way in scale to each other, but are relatively the same physical size.

Every possible detail has been scaled down and reproduced to make these models some of the most faithful replicas ever produced. Because of the differences in scale between a massive ship such as the U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-D and its tiny precursor the Enterprise NX-01, the ships have all been sculpted to sizes between 120mm and 140mm long. - See more at: http://www.startrek-starships.com/usa/starships.asp#sthash.w8kuX52l.dpuf

BGG has a thread with the scale of many of the ships and available substitutes if you're looking to keep them relatively close.

Oh, as someone who plays both games, I'd say a pro for Attack Wing is due to the sheer number of unique cards and the way lists are built for 100 point matches, there is little reason to buy more than 1 copy of many of the ships. A starter box and 1 or two boosters can be very competitive.

Con (and a pro I guess) - About half the movement templates are different so things don't go quite where you expect them til you get used to it and if you pick up fancy templates you'll need a Trek specific set. 

Thanks for the info.

Those are nice but way too big.  I ditched the pathetic WK ships for Micromachines:

That's exactly what I'm going to do when I get into it. I have Micromachines for almost all of the ships released so far. Closer to the right scale and much better looking models.

MM is the best old school resource out there. I found the only accurate'ish in scale AT-AT's  and my main force for my Pirates, and much more from good ole reliable Micro Machines.

comparisontest51.jpg

Borg Cube?

There's a lot wrong with that size chart. Granted there's a lot right with it too. I also find the lack of any Odyssey Class extremely unfortunate, considering the fact that other STO designs are present.

To be honest, I just don't get the popularity of Star Trek: Attack Wing. To me the ships seem poorly made, out of scale, and in the end the rules seem more in accords to fighter combat than capital ship combat. I much prefer X-Wing, but Attack Wing seems to have replaced X-Wong in my local meta. I'm not against Star Trek, but would much rather play Star Fleet Commander or the new A Call To Arms. Just my personal take though.

Gotta agree with Stone. I am a big Star Trek fan and when I heard about Attack Wing I thought "this is me". But when I saw how badly out of scale everything was and the overall quality of the models, I decided not to go down that road.

X-Wing has set the standard and it would be nice if a Star Trek game could be done to the same high quality. 

We live in hope...

Hmmm. I've got a bunch of old Micromachines Star Trek ships.

Stupid question: Where would I get the clear posts to mount them?

Sorry, but I've never done any customization before. :)

CorSec Engineering and Litko both sell bases and posts for STAW and XwM.

Cool. Now for the other stupid question: Any tips for drilling the holes in the ships?

Thanks!

I use a hand dril.. one you twist with your fingers, cause a drill can be too much. Don't drill deep, and there are some great 1/8 inch rare earth magnets you can buy.. works like a charm..

To be honest, I just don't get the popularity of Star Trek: Attack Wing. To me the ships seem poorly made, out of scale, and in the end the rules seem more in accords to fighter combat than capital ship combat. I much prefer X-Wing, but Attack Wing seems to have replaced X-Wong in my local meta. I'm not against Star Trek, but would much rather play Star Fleet Commander or the new A Call To Arms. Just my personal take though.

Gotta agree with Stone. I am a big Star Trek fan and when I heard about Attack Wing I thought "this is me". But when I saw how badly out of scale everything was and the overall quality of the models, I decided not to go down that road.

X-Wing has set the standard and it would be nice if a Star Trek game could be done to the same high quality. 

We live in hope...

I already have found most of what I want for this third project. Believe it or not, all of it is in relative eye-ball right-scale too.

You just have to stalk that internet like a hungry panther...lol. That is how you pull a project like this together Brothers.

Most of the new ships are 5 inches long, so you look at the charts that are all close to each other most of the time, and do some about-right-math to get the scales right. For example... The NEW Enterprise Refit is 5 inches long. Now the scale charts I have all list the ship at 305'ish M. Okay so the Enterprise D is listed at 640'ish M. That makes it easy to figure out that I need a 10 inch long Enterprise D Model to to go with the NEW Enterprise. Well by glory, The  Round 2 AMT Enterprise D is how long? Ten inches. You can believe that Boss has that size confirmed by about ten online sources.

All of the scale charts have some minor variations, but this cross referenced information is good enough for me to work with.

SHIPS1.JPG

See how easy it is to make these projects happen?

You have to want to do it...

-_-

Edited by Joe Boss Red Seven

I use a hand dril.. one you twist with your fingers, cause a drill can be too much. Don't drill deep, and there are some great 1/8 inch rare earth magnets you can buy.. works like a charm..

Thanks!

Looks like I have a new project for this weekend. :)

The hand drill is what i use as well. does the job perfectly. My ships are a lot smaller than the ones you are using. You must have a huge play area

Edited by Gosric