Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Croonos

Talisman The Firelands Expansion

66 posts in this topic

Played our first game with Firelands last night. Some of the new cards are really cool (or is that hot) the fire theme runs strong throughtout and changing the Sentinel space to something else and just walking across is ace. You can change spaces back again as well, all sorts of fun.

All of the new characters have some great abilities and I wouldn't mind drawing any of them in a game.

Game number 2 tonight.

Lucky you! I still have to wait for my copy.
Does the Fireland tokens and Terrian cards also affect the other regions (as Dragon tokens)?

Does the Fireland tokens and Terrian cards also affect the other regions (as Dragon tokens)?

The tokens affect only the outer and middle regions as far as I can tell, same with the terrain cards. I've not used every spell yet or gone through all adventure cards so I may be wrong. It certainly didnt affect the inner region when we played.

It seems like the most interesting and game-changing expansion since Blood Moon. I'm hoping to order very soon.

As a person who plays with all expansions and some slight house-rules for The Dragon expansion, I wonder how well it will integrate.  Can't wait.

It seems like the most interesting and game-changing expansion since Blood Moon. I'm hoping to order very soon.

As a person who plays with all expansions and some slight house-rules for The Dragon expansion, I wonder how well it will integrate.  Can't wait.

We play with everything too and I have a feeling this expansion will get lost like all the other smaller ones do.  Our group may be getting an update to our D10 rules.....  :-)  

The tokens affect only the outer and middle regions as far as I can tell, same with the terrain cards. I've not used every spell yet or gone through all adventure cards so I may be wrong. It certainly didnt affect the inner region when we played.

If it affect only outer and middle region I am afraid that other regions like City or Highland will be very safe in comparison to the main board... It could be profitable to stay outside it for most of the game but I hope it can be balanced in expansion having an impact on all other (like Miskatonic horror to Arkham).

Hi Croonos,

Apologies I should have stated that I was referring to the main board only in my previous post. Yo csn indeed place firetokens on spaces within the City, Highlands etc. Each space can only ever have one token on it at a time.

The terrain cards can also affect board expansions.

Sorry for any confusion.

That's great! Thank' s for the quick answer!

Could you give a description of some noteworthy tricky adventure or spell card from the Firelands?

That's great! Thank' s for the quick answer!

Could you give a description of some noteworthy tricky adventure or spell card from the Firelands?

Hi I'll pick a few out tonight but will need to figure out how to hide details as a spolier. I'm pretty new to the forum but have snooping around here fir months.

Played it last night twice. Its fun! All the characters are fun to play and the card interactions are fun too. Dangerous! [We played it with just the vanilla cards so we could see most of the new cards)

We have played a few games with it now, it seems to dilute well for us.  I thought the Wildlander was going to be OP, but it really wasn't the case.  I have to admit the terrain mechanic has really taken off in our group, but the burning of items can really change the course of the game!

A great addition.  I imagine it would be pretty hard with less expansions in play (we play all except Dragons)!

I was gonna gather 3-4 ppl to play. But it ended with just me and one friend showing up.
But boy what a ride we had.

Setup: Core board, Reaper, Firelands +spells from dungeon. ( Keept my dungeon and city out of it to test firelands)

We decided to start off with Warlord and Djinn Blooded, becouse we liked model design. No randomizing.

First card we draw is IFRIT SULTAN! The guy on the box. He makes you place firelands tokens mostly every round if you are in the same region as him. So in few rounds it's a race to get to the safe middle region. In a while of spellcyceling my Djinn bloded manages to take out the sultan with a Fireball. But boy was it hard just to stay alive, with the city turning to ruins.

Yes, this is the best Talisman expansion, IF you are tired of the core way to play.
Better than Reaper overall? To early to say for me, but definatly a whole new game in all ways.

After a while my Djinn blooded dies and I just go all out with Dervish(starting on Oasis I catch up to the Warlord that made the inner region :)

But, Nothing is safe, with 1-2 lives left we rush in to the inner reigion as crazy, the adventure deck keeps tossing Talismans at us, and with 7 in str/craft we just rush in and hope for good rolls. After some time I make it trough with Str 8, 1 life and 2 fate when I dice with death. The other player died of command spell when he was on vamp tower.

If we had not made crown we might as well just start a whole new game, with about 20 fireland tokens in the outer region. :D

Fun times, can't wait to play again.

Edited by arolig

Drawing the Ifrit Sultan in the first part of the game is a blast. When this happened, we either fled to corner Regions or strived to survive on the main board, while trying to find way to destroy or kill the Sultan.

In such a harsh environment, even the usually hostile characters tend to gang up and concentrate on taking out the global Ifrit menace. This expansion often gives you the genuine feeling of an invasion going on.

Edited by The_Warlock

My problem right now is I am not seeing any of the Firelands cards coming into play. I have all the expansions in play and I am seriously considering buying another copy to mix in some of the cards from the set. I don't need the whole set but having some of the cards that add fire tokens or change land might be nice.

My problem right now is I am not seeing any of the Firelands cards coming into play. I have all the expansions in play and I am seriously considering buying another copy to mix in some of the cards from the set. I don't need the whole set but having some of the cards that add fire tokens or change land might be nice.

I was thinking the same just take all the Ifrits and Ifrit cards keep the sultana and sultan out of it, you only need 1 of each of them.

Q: Am I right in thinking that the Ifrit Shapeshifter can, in effect end up taking all the fate counters thus stopping players from gaining any? now two of them on the table at one time OUCH!! this of course without that new ending though.

Our group played with everything for a while, but we enjoy the game more by creating new decks for every game. It takes a little time to break down the decks, but if you play with only 1 or 2 expansions, I find you get much more of the flavor of the given sets.