Sign in to follow this  
KILODEN

Anyone hear anything about new terrain?

i dont know about you people, but i would like more terrain than floating rocks.

i know we can make up our own rules and stuff for playing with friends, but has anyone heard if FFG plans on releasing any new types of terrain?

Yeah the upcoming terrain set looks like it will work excelently with their Death Star mat

GF%2B9%2BX-WING%2BTERRAIN.jpg

Though I think too many people get hung up on everything having to be in space, like everytime AT-ATs are mentioned someone goes on about them swimming in space. Have they forgotten the Rogue Squadron/Rogue Leader games. I could see many missions played over an imperial or rebel base either defending or attacking it, trying to take out the shield generators, or turbo laser turrets or trying to land and steal another ship.

Though back to space terrain I could see a CD sized space station working well. I tried out Star Trek Attack Wing last weekend, while I didn't like the game as much as X-wing (too much weird mashups with captains on the wrong ships, too many play kit shenigans messing up the game) one thing I did like was the big planet obstacle, it acted like a big ship base, so you didn't take damage from it but it would stop movement unless you could cross it with your move but it also completely blocked line of sight and any shooting that cross it. It could change up tactics quite a bit with the ability to actually hide behind it and suddenly wheel around on your target or out maneuvering your openent to split their fleet. 

Yeah the upcoming terrain set looks like it will work excelently with their Death Star mat

GF%2B9%2BX-WING%2BTERRAIN.jpg

Though I think too many people get hung up on everything having to be in space, like everytime AT-ATs are mentioned someone goes on about them swimming in space. Have they forgotten the Rogue Squadron/Rogue Leader games. I could see many missions played over an imperial or rebel base either defending or attacking it, trying to take out the shield generators, or turbo laser turrets or trying to land and steal another ship.

Though back to space terrain I could see a CD sized space station working well. I tried out Star Trek Attack Wing last weekend, while I didn't like the game as much as X-wing (too much weird mashups with captains on the wrong ships, too many play kit shenigans messing up the game) one thing I did like was the big planet obstacle, it acted like a big ship base, so you didn't take damage from it but it would stop movement unless you could cross it with your move but it also completely blocked line of sight and any shooting that cross it. It could change up tactics quite a bit with the ability to actually hide behind it and suddenly wheel around on your target or out maneuvering your openent to split their fleet. 

depending on the price i really want to pick up those turrets. I'm starting to work on a ruins of Hoth play area (Hoth ruins with a piece of 3 x 3 glass over the play area)  gives the impression the battle takes place over the field. At my work we get a lot of Styrofoam that gets tossed out. The big, thick, dense kind. i instantly thought Hoth when i gathered it.

Well, I do remember seeing some trees the last time I was in space. Trees and hills, abandoned and collapsing fortresses... yup, all in space. Sure is a lot of terrain up there.

Oh ha ha

There is indeed other Celestial Phenomena (ooooh aren't I posh) that can be used for space battles beyond asteroids:

Comets.....complete with tail and moves across the board

Planets....including gas giants and ringed gas giants

Moons

Nebula....of which I'll include gas clouds, dust clouds and clouds of ice particles

Then there's the man made stuff...

Debris Fields....from past battles or dumped junk

Nebula....cloud of dumped toilet contents (beware the yellow nebula and it's brown bricks)

Mine Fields

All that before we even get onto Space Stations, Way Stations, Satellites, Cloud City, etc etc etc

I've been wanting to run an ordinance testing site.

Each Player gets 2 Seismic Charges, 1 Prox Mine, and 1 Proton Bomb.

Starting wtih the player with initiative, these are places on the map following the rules for asteroid placement.

Treat Prox Mines as normal. If a ship or movement template touches the mine, they take the damage.

For the bombs, if the ship or maneuver template touches a bomb, that bomb will go off at the end of the movement phase. The ship that triggered if (even if now out of range) and anything within range 1 takes the effects of the bomb. The bomb is then removed from the board.

So, there are more of these than asteroids, but they will start vanishing as players blunder into them. I should note that this opens up some interesting options. If your enemy is clustered next to a bomb, you may with to intentionally hit the bomb to damage them.

It really sounds like it'll be a fun setup.

I have some ideas as well,

in the tie fighter and xwing PC games, there were containers and container yards. what if these were full of tibanna gas and you could actively soot them to cauase explosions?

or even mine fields,

they also had automated turret mines that shot at enemies in the PC games

as far as planetary bodies and moons, not sure if putting one in the play area with such small craft would make sense, but putting one in the background and having its gravity field cause havoc on you mannuever dial would work.

also, what about a giant asteroid like the one in empire that was so big it had its own gravity field? make it the size of a disk and then a range 1 gravity field

Starting wtih the player with initiative, these are places on the map following the rules for asteroid placement.

Treat Prox Mines as normal. If a ship or movement template touches the mine, they take the damage.

For the bombs, if the ship or maneuver template touches a bomb, that bomb will go off at the end of the movement phase. The ship that triggered if (even if now out of range) and anything within range 1 takes the effects of the bomb. The bomb is then removed from the board.

So, there are more of these than asteroids, but they will start vanishing as players blunder into them. I should note that this opens up some interesting options. If your enemy is clustered next to a bomb, you may with to intentionally hit the bomb to damage them.

Can you shoot them?

Well, I do remember seeing some trees the last time I was in space. Trees and hills, abandoned and collapsing fortresses... yup, all in space. Sure is a lot of terrain up there.

Oh ha ha

There is indeed other Celestial Phenomena (ooooh aren't I posh) that can be used for space battles beyond asteroids:

Comets.....complete with tail and moves across the board

Planets....including gas giants and ringed gas giants

Moons

Nebula....of which I'll include gas clouds, dust clouds and clouds of ice particles

Then there's the man made stuff...

Debris Fields....from past battles or dumped junk

Nebula....cloud of dumped toilet contents (beware the yellow nebula and it's brown bricks)

Mine Fields

All that before we even get onto Space Stations, Way Stations, Satellites, Cloud City, etc etc etc

Shouldn't that be... Neb-poo-la then... lol

I have been wanting to do something like this as well, but I would change something. If the ship that triggered the seismic was out of range I feel it should be unaffected, but what a cool tactic to race across its field and set it off on your opponent.. haha.. I would also set it on maybe a larger playing field and add some asteroids as well, just so all of the obsticles don't disappear.. I'm a stinker, I know.. lol Edited by oneway

You know in a universe with space worms trees are not out of the question, but the abandoned fortress absolutely could be done. Space flight has existed for millennia, there should be all kinds of abandoned, refurbished and new structures, things the rebels like to convert to bases. Thanks to droids a lot of yah abandoned stuff still works.

You know in a universe with space worms trees are not out of the question, but the abandoned fortress absolutely could be done. Space flight has existed for millennia, there should be all kinds of abandoned, refurbished and new structures, things the rebels like to convert to bases. Thanks to droids a lot of yah abandoned stuff still works.

Good set up could use Rodents cosmic phenomenon system to decide your debris field.. it has some cool stuff, from asteroids, to debris and mines and even cosmic things like comets and gas clouds.. I need to set up a game to use it I think..

I have a scenario a friend designed, that is basically.. destroy the power generator, and I use some resin buildings for the power generator and its buildings. Some terrain around it to flesh out the concept and it works fine, and I get to use bombes and such to take them out..

I'd want any new terrain to be focused on the films, which is probably why we've only seen asteroids.

I would be okay with any Death Star related terrain (a map with a course to follow?!), as well as some way to represent Clouds surrounding Bespin. Otherwise there's not really a lot in the way of features to Star Wars' space...

I'd want any new terrain to be focused on the films, which is probably why we've only seen asteroids.

I would be okay with any Death Star related terrain (a map with a course to follow?!), as well as some way to represent Clouds surrounding Bespin. Otherwise there's not really a lot in the way of features to Star Wars' space...

Miniwargaming's Youtube channel has a good battle report that they played on a space station game mat where the rebels had to destroy towers on the surface.  They had little towers as terrain.

Miniwargaming's Youtube channel has a good battle report that they played on a space station game mat where the rebels had to destroy towers on the surface.  They had little towers as terrain.

That was a fun watch...they mess up a lot, but they are cool guys.