Sign in to follow this  
MarkAnthonyHorne

Podv Racing

Not sure of any pod racing models specifically but suggest any "sci-fi" ship could stand in for a racer.  I have been working on a vehicular game using the X-Wing movement templates.  It works well especially as my system uses multiple templates per move to give increased maneuvering and allow for changes in maneuvers so your driver can react to their opponent.  All you do is select your speed (example: 4) and then you can play a number of templates that add up to 4, so a speed 2 left bank and a speed 2 straight in the same move.

I'm not sure if you already know about it, and I know you want to mod the rules for X-Wing, but Formula D might be worth a look, since that's a pre-existing racing game.

Basically, what I would probably do to make a podracing game is write a 'pen and paper' mod for Formula D.

X-Wing's movement is great, but it's very focussed around getting into good positions rather that moving ahead and balancing risks as you turn. For example, manoeuvres like the k-turn don't have a great racing analogue. Rules, for example, for Sebulba, would be better mirrored by the game's 'danger dice' mechanic - where you roll a dice to see if you take damage if you are next to another vehicle - rather than actions as in X-Wing (there's a Tabletop video of Formula D on Youtube if you're not familiar with the game). 

Also, podracing 'attacks' never happen at range any closer than point blank, which again is dramatically different from how X-Wing operates with respect to attacks. Actually, melee range is actively discouraged in X-Wing for anyone other than Arvel Crynd.

By all means ignore what I say: you wanted to mod X-Wing, not Formula D. I just think Formula D is a system that is already closer to what you want.  :)

Pretty sure all of the pod racers were made as Micromachines way back when Episode 1 came out so if you hunt enough you may be able to find them on ebay or something.

There was also a create your own pack with lots of engines and 2 pods which gives more variety but again finding them is the trick.

001536722_p1030136.jpg