Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zogwort

Descent storage solutions

107 posts in this topic

I decided to ditch the hardware box i was using to store descent and have instead started construction using foamcore inserts for the boxes.

I will then put a peice of foamcore on the bottom of some of the box's, glue on rare earth magnets to the foamcore and monsters and they will live their life also in the boxes.

I am not quite doing what this guy is doing, i keep all the expansions mixed together but you get the idea.

Only 2 youtube clips allowed per post, so please see next post for the 3rd video

Not trying to be a pill, but your site's navigation is a bit odd. Can you direct link to your plans? I am really interested in seeing what games you have plans for! And maybe making them myself.

Your videos were very helpfull as well. I can't wait to get home and start on a Descent box!

*edit* Nm I'm a retard. They are contained directly with the game in the "see all games" 

Thanks for your work and sharing!

*edit 2*

Actually my comment stands about the navigation. It's not very good. the "load one screen at a time" bit is not good if you are trying to locate a game that doesn't start with a.. It loads too slow. A search fucntion on this section would be highly recommended since we can't "control f" to search within the non loaded contents. Limiting by category helps a bit. But as each category grows you will encounter the same problem. Please consider making the "The Games" section easier to use.

I foresee myself using your site alot in the future if it's usability improves. But at the same time, I am the kind of person that if a site annoys me to much, I'll just stop using it.

*edit 3* Please please for the love of god consider lists instead of the weird image grid that loads on scroll through. I'm not kidding this bit makes me never want to go to your site again :( Incase it was not clear, this is the section I am referring too http://www.orderofgamers.com/games/

*edit 4* Trying to get to T in the board game category to see if you have anything in for talisman.. was majorly annoying process of scroll, load, scroll, load, scroll load to get to the T category. Just to find out you have nothing for Talisman other than the rules :( 

Ok, I'm done commenting on the site. 

Edited by Kilazar

Thats not my site :P was just linking to his tutorial as i am doing something similar-ish. Im waiting for mini-card sleeves to get here in the mail so i can finish making the box that going to hold all the cards. He just finished overhauling his site a day or two ago and is still fixing a lot of stuff.

Edited by BentoSan

Thats not my site :P was just linking to his tutorial as i am doing something similar-ish. Im waiting for mini-card sleeves to get here in the mail so i can finish making the box that going to hold all the cards. He just finished overhauling his site a day or two ago and is still fixing a lot of stuff.

Can you pass the info along? If you frequent the site that is. The 'Load on scroll' bit looks good from an artsy perspective, but it is complete butt in real world unless the lists are really small.

The "load on scroll" takes away the ability to search with control f if interacting with a long list of items because the game you were looking for is in the T's.. and only A-C is loaded. 

Edited by Kilazar
any2cards likes this

I visited this site, just to see what the fuss was all about (yes, I am bored).

I cannot agree enough with Kilazar ... if I had to frequent this site regularly to get something, find out some info, etc. I think I would shoot myself.  Imagine if FFG's site worked this way ... I would never have gotten into their games.

Sometimes pages can look really good, but work very poorly.  This is a case in point.

So back on topic

I was pursuing the hanging file idea that was posted a couple back, and came across these bad boys

http://www.amazon.com/Smead-Project-Organizer-Pockets-89200/dp/B001CE8IVG/ref=sr_1_199?ie=UTF8&qid=1407786450&sr=8-199&keywords=hanging+file+organizer

And 

http://www.amazon.com/Cardinal-Expanding-Pocket-Dividers-CRD84013/dp/B00392A4WU/ref=pd_sim_op_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=085CSHXYV70BFSZ149B1

Do you think those might be good for tile organization?

I wish I would have found this forum sooner. I had thought about getting a tackle box as my Descent organizer. I decided to go with these Stanley cases instead. I will post pictures of how everything fits in them soon. 

Thin Stanley Organizer

http://www.amazon.ca/Stanley-014725R-Professional-Organizer-Yellow/dp/B00005QWYF/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407903249&sr=8-1&keywords=stanley+storage

Thick Stanley Organizer

http://www.amazon.ca/Stanley-014710R-Removable-Compartment-Professional/dp/B001G1CUK0/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1407903354&sr=8-9&keywords=stanley+storage

I don't mind spending the 100+ dollars on organizing a great game if I can cut down on the time it takes to do the tedious parts of playing the game.

I really like the foam core ideas that people have posted. I would love to see more pictures of Some bigger foam core descent holders. I do think it is silly to try and keep everything in the original boxes, this game just grows too much. 

I do think it is silly to try and keep everything in the original boxes, this game just grows too much. 

It's not silly ... it's impossible.  See "Newton's Law of Inverse Game Squares"  :D  :P  :lol:

I do think it is silly to try and keep everything in the original boxes, this game just grows too much. 

It's not silly ... it's impossible.  See "Newton's Law of Inverse Game Squares"  :D  :P  :lol:

Care to explain that one to us laymen?

It's not that it's impossible to keep it in those boxes- it's that I don't really want to carry around 5+ boxes when I take Descent from one place to another. I'm looking into the possibility of keeping everything in a filing bin with hanging folders for the maps (as has been suggested) but also for the rules, the cards in little bags, and the minis can go in accordion folders (in other little bags.) I have the tokens and markers already in a plastic box that would just fit sideways in there.

I am putting mine back into the original boxes, then carrying the boxes around in a larger plastic box - i think you folks in the US like to call them rubbermaids. My yellow sleeves are in the mail as we speak, once i have finished sleeving the rest of my cards i will finish off my card box and post some pics up !

Here is a progress pic of the card storage box, there is a heap of room for expansions. Hero cards are under the lieutenant cards which i decided to keep in their zip lock bags for convenience. All the cards are in one of the big box expansions because i need the height in the base box for larger monsters and lieutenants. I will eventually buy some plastic card to separate each lot of cards as using the foamcore as dividers takes up too much space. Also while it does not look like there is alot of space left the card protectors are full of air, so if you give them light squeeze its easy to reduce the amount of space they take up by at least 30%. 4 stacks of lieutenant cards fits along the wider side there, i just pulled some out so the hero cards could be seen underneath. 

29gj1gm.jpg

Edited by BentoSan
maxam and Carbini like this

So, here is my custom build storage solution, made from foamcore:

zkkHyBX.jpg

j43CQbb.jpg

FYosGHj.jpg

3YdGKl8.jpg

pkr1sOz.jpg

Ooh1vIF.jpg

oXD54Vz.jpg

Pros:

Fits everything from the core box, including doors on stands and sleeved cards.

Cons:

Probably not so great for painted minis, especially the large ones.

Maikacir, could you post or share in some other way the plans for your box design? I also sleeve my cards and wanted to make the same box as in your first link, but the size doesn't include sleeves and it would be too small. So your plans would be most useful.

Thanks in advance :)

Anyone use this for your minis? I am OK using the base game box for books/cards but I have painted many of the minis and they no longer fit well in a large expansion box.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00W98CV26/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1467741266&sr=8-1&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011%2Cp_72%3A2661618011π=SX200_QL40&keywords=miniature+storage+box&dpPl=1&dpID=41yGoFP6g0L&ref=plSrch

Anyone use this for your minis? I am OK using the base game box for books/cards but I have painted many of the minis and they no longer fit well in a large expansion box.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00W98CV26/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1467741266&sr=8-1&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011%2Cp_72%3A2661618011π=SX200_QL40&keywords=miniature+storage+box&dpPl=1&dpID=41yGoFP6g0L&ref=plSrch

Looks like a good system for miniature storage. The fact you can stack all of these cases on a shelf makes it very practical for people like me with minimal available space. It looks so much better than an ugly plastic Plano box (considering mini storage only).

Then free shipping within the EU for an order above 60€ is really nice. I would have expected shipment prices to be a showstopper for an order like this.

However I cannot quite figure out which exact foam/box configuration would be suited for a full Descent collection. Their 45 minis foam trays look like they would just fit the smallest miniatures and not things like Carrion Drakes, Belthir, Ispher or anything wider than normal. maybe Barghests would fit, but certainly not Hellhounds or Wraiths. So maybe the best combination is some of the standard trays and some pick&pluck trays?

If you find a system using them then please let us know about it because I could definitely see myself investing in some of those.

Besides that I think it would be a good system, yes. I don't see how other systems would be better than this for that price tag.

Edited by Indalecio

Looks like a good system for miniature storage. The fact you can stack all of these cases on a shelf makes it very practical for people like me with minimal available space. It looks so much better than an ugly plastic Plano box (considering mini storage only).

Then free shipping within the EU for an order above 60€ is really nice. I would have expected shipment prices to be a showstopper for an order like this.

However I cannot quite figure out which exact foam/box configuration would be suited for a full Descent collection. Their 45 minis foam trays look like they would just fit the smallest miniatures and not things like Carrion Drakes, Belthir, Ispher or anything wider than normal. maybe Barghests would fit, but certainly not Hellhounds or Wraiths. So maybe the best combination is some of the standard trays and some pick&pluck trays?

If you find a system using them then please let us know about it because I could definitely see myself investing in some of those.

Besides that I think it would be a good system, yes. I don't see how other systems would be better than this for that price tag.

Specifically for Descent (V2) they have this

https://www.feldherr.net/for/descent/?BrowseStartLimit=0&aoff=s&ItemSorting=6

I use their products for X-Wing, and I'm rather happy with them (they have made a lot of X-Wing specific shaped foams)..

since then I'm asking myself if I will not use their sytem for IA and/or to a less extend Descent (I have already a custom system for all Descent V1 + V2),

What makes me hesitate is the fact that both lines are not yet finisked and at the end the foam finishes by occupy a lot of space !

but to protect painted minis it's a very good solution.

Edited by Felin

Yeah I saw they had a product line specific to Descent after I posted. That's crazy good, and I started to make a few calculations just to get a feeling about how many of these trays would be required to accomodate the full game. Turns out the big issue are the large monsters. Their trays can only accomodate 4 of these maximum, but the game has more than 50 monsters with large size. Buying a dozen of these trays just for that seems absolutely overkill to me, on the other hand large monsters could be stored in a big expansion box without too much issue.

Small monsters however, and even 1x2 ones don't require that many trays. The vertical tray one is brilliant.

EDIT: I like the fact you can go for the storage on shelf, in these practical cases they have. The Descent trays are all half the size of that case so that makes the thing practical. I also like you can buy this bundle with a transport bag. Useful to bring over a fraction of your mini collection to the next game night.

Edited by Indalecio

Anyone use this for your minis? I am OK using the base game box for books/cards but I have painted many of the minis and they no longer fit well in a large expansion box.https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00W98CV26/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1467741266&sr=8-1&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011%2Cp_72%3A2661618011π=SX200_QL40&keywords=miniature+storage+box&dpPl=1&dpID=41yGoFP6g0L&ref=plSrch

Specifically for Descent (V2) they have this

https://www.feldherr.net/for/descent/?BrowseStartLimit=0&aoff=s&ItemSorting=6

I use their products for X-Wing, and I'm rather happy with them (they have made a lot of X-Wing specific shaped foams)..

since then I'm asking myself if I will not use their sytem for IA and/or to a less extend Descent (I have already a custom system for all Descent V1 + V2),

What makes me hesitate is the fact that both lines are not yet finisked and at the end the foam finishes by occupy a lot of space !

but to protect painted minis it's a very good solution.

Nice thanks for sharing! I have approx 100 descent figs though and that maxi bag is around 80$ and only hold around 70 and 4 large figs so I'm hesitant based on price. Might make more sense to place large figs in expansion box and get the cheaper 30$ option on amazon. I'm concerned about all the 1x2 and figs with swords/spears etc fitting in it though. So hard to tell unless you see it in person.

Anyone know how these store on a shelf if you just get the trays separately?

Edited by saxon1974

The trays that are specific to Descent are called "half size", for the reason that they fit within a storage box size M. Each tray is 172mm wide, and the storage box is 345mm long, so you can store them in two piles.

https://www.feldherr.net/feldherr-full-size-storage-box-m-empty/a-53526/

Edit: the 1x2 figures are not legion in this game (although bear in mind the Hellhounds are quite tall) and the tall 1x1s can fit in to one of these 1x2 mini trays. The 1x1 standing trays are 50mm tall, though so that should also cover some of these tall 1x1s. I think WIDE 1x1s are more problematic, like Carrion Drakes. Bone Horrors etc. But I´ll let you know, I´ve made my order - I was due to do something about it soon or later anyway so I decided to bite the bullet- so I can let the community know if I wasted my money or if it was worth the purchase. Bear in mind I´m a Euro, so I´m not paying for shipping. North Americans have plenty of other choices so it might be that the Fedherr solution is a bit costly compared to these solutions, especially with shipping overseas in the equation.

Edited by Indalecio

The trays that are specific to Descent are called "half size", for the reason that they fit within a storage box size M. Each tray is 172mm wide, and the storage box is 345mm long, so you can store them in two piles.

https://www.feldherr.net/feldherr-full-size-storage-box-m-empty/a-53526/

Edit: the 1x2 figures are not legion in this game (although bear in mind the Hellhounds are quite tall) and the tall 1x1s can fit in to one of these 1x2 mini trays. The 1x1 standing trays are 50mm tall, though so that should also cover some of these tall 1x1s. I think WIDE 1x1s are more problematic, like Carrion Drakes. Bone Horrors etc. But I´ll let you know, I´ve made my order - I was due to do something about it soon or later anyway so I decided to bite the bullet- so I can let the community know if I wasted my money or if it was worth the purchase. Bear in mind I´m a Euro, so I´m not paying for shipping. North Americans have plenty of other choices so it might be that the Fedherr solution is a bit costly compared to these solutions, especially with shipping overseas in the equation.

Thanks for all the info! I am in the US so yes shipping could get a bit pricey. If I knew it was a near 100% solution for all my minis I still might do it. I also might get the 35$ bundle on amazon that includes the box and try and find some other trays that will fit if I dont like those provides (maybe those on miniature market). Edited by saxon1974

I recommend these (http://www.miniaturemarket.com/searchresults?q=Game+Plus+Products+foam) for painted mini storage.  You can pluck them to any size you want, so you can store monsters of all different shapes.

This might be a better option. So you just cut out with an exacto knife the sizes you need? Is this super simple

or is it a bit of work?

Thanks for the share.

It's simpler than that. The foam is pre-cut into squares and you just pluck out the squares you need to accommodate the minis. No knife required.

I recommend these (http://www.miniaturemarket.com/searchresults?q=Game+Plus+Products+foam) for painted mini storage.  You can pluck them to any size you want, so you can store monsters of all different shapes.

This might be a better option. So you just cut out with an exacto knife the sizes you need? Is this super simple

or is it a bit of work?

Thanks for the share.

It's simpler than that. The foam is pre-cut into squares and you just pluck out the squares you need to accommodate the minis. No knife required.

Wow excellent. Gonna get some of these as I have non descent painted figs too. Just gonna measure and see what size box to get to store the trays in.