Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wishasc

Does Disney's Canon Policy Impact SW LCG?

27 posts in this topic

Sadly it probably will.

Hopefully we get something official soon, and it doesn't rip out characters and ideas in new force cycle too much.

I would bet if we don't find out something by March that the next FFG cycle / big box will focus on the movies again to avoid any conflict with this ruling.

With Leland Chee on the committee, I personally find it hard to imagine that Mara Jade is in any real danger here. Things like the fate of the Skywalker children are likely to be redefined, as the films are said to cover that ground, and there's no point in rehashing stuff that's already been established for years via the books, games, etc. But for them to just arbitrarily say that fan-favorite Mara Jade doesn't exist would be a foolish move that I can't even see Disney making. Keep in mind that, so far at least, this game mostly covers the Classic Era, albeit with some exceptions that are easily BS'ed as fitting in (Ghosts of the Dark Side, Shadows of Dathomir, et al).

The Mara Jade that we see in this game is the Mara Jade that currently serves as the Emperor's Hand. So far, FFG has even avoided addressing the existence of multiple Emperor's Hands, a secret kept from each Hand so that each believes themselves to be the only one. Barring whatever happens after the films under the new tierless canon system, for her not to exist in this state (i.e. as a servant of the Empire during the Original Trilogy) would require the character to be written out entirely, something I don't expect. Fans should be ready for her fate to change drastically, but so far I think it's safe to say the game won't be impacted, especially since Design set out initially with only a quasi-canon look at the saga's continuity. No matter what happens to Mara Jade or other Expanded Universe elements, fans are still gonna love what they love, and her objectives aren't gonna just be banned due to what Disney decides.

Edited by MarthWMaster
player1761766 likes this

No matter what happens to Mara Jade or other Expanded Universe elements, fans are still gonna love what they love, and her objectives aren't gonna just be banned due to what Disney decides.

I agree, it might just change what comes in the next cycle if FFG wants to play along with this update. I also agree with Toqtamish, it will be nice to see this cleaned up and defined properly. :)

Had me worried there, but we're just talking about EU lore. The license and gameplay are safe for now. As far as lore is concerned I'm only mildly interested in anything that happened after 1983.

videinfra likes this

Not happy about this! Disney should know better :( Sadly all they care about is money anymore.

How do you get that from this issue?

Disney is acknowledging that to continue the franchise they need not be burdened by the glut of, sometimes poorly conceived, content that has been developed.   Lucas was already ignoring his own **** movies in developing other story lines so I can't fault Disney for just being honest and saying they have to do away with some stuff to continue on.  I do not see how this is a money play on their part.

And I say this with the utmost confidence that I've delved into more of the post-RoTJ books then 99% of people that play these game.  I read Bacta War every other month.

Toqtamish and Budgernaut like this

I'm sure I'm missing something, but so far the biggest things I've noticed from the EU have been Mara Jade and Kyle Katarn, both of which I think have a huge chance of going canon.

ilovelcgs likes this

Things in the EU I wouldn't mind losing:

The Sun Crusher

World Devastators

Darksaber

The Yuuzhan Vong

A Force power that can affect said Yuuzhan Vong despite their severance from the Force

Luke Skywalker being the closest thing to God in the GFFA

Cade Skywalker

dan.roettgen and videinfra like this

I'm concerned about this because a lot of the background to characters in the original trilogy still falls under EU, doesn't it? I mean, Zuckuss' ability to use the Force to find his quarry and even the fact that he teams up with 4-LOM is never stated in the movie. That's completely EU material. If Disney erases backgrounds like that, I believe it will have a profound affect on this game.

For example, if Disney decides that Trandoshans don't hunt Wookiees, Trandoshan Terror and it's associated cards suddenly don't make sense.

I'm not saying they will get rid of all that stuff, but if they cut off ALL EU, it would drastically change Star Wars as we know it. I'm hoping that, similar to what MarthWMaster thinks about Mara Jade, most of the species concepts and stereotypes remain. Otherwise it's like entering a whole new galaxy.

player1761766 likes this

I've tried to get into the EU stuff, but every time I pick up a book and try to read it just doesn't feel like the Star Wars I grew up with. Some of the material is horribly written as well. I for one hope that the new movies get rid of a lot of the crap. Even the Thrawn Trilogy I didn't think was that great, better than the other stuff, but I never understood why people thought it was amazing.

I also don't understand why FFG is doing so much EU material. It almost feels like more EU than OT to me. There are still so many characters from the OT that haven't been done or the characters that have been done are favorites whose pods are unusable, eg Boba Fett, or not worth playing, eg Tarken. How about I get to use Trench Run with a Red 5 before we get more characters I can't recognize and have never heard of from EU?

Edited by videinfra

People venerate the Thrawn Trilogy for much the same reason that they do Final Fantasy VII. Both have cool characters and tell a quality story with them, but more importantly, their release made such an impact on their respective fandoms (Star Wars and video-RPGs respectively) that they are remembered as something far greater than they actually were. By this I mean to say, neither the Star Wars Expanded Universe nor RPGs would be anything like they are today, were it not for these titles. But when looked at in a vacuum, they appear far more down-to-earth when compared to others of their kind.

Fbaranow likes this

I'm concerned about this because a lot of the background to characters in the original trilogy still falls under EU, doesn't it? I mean, Zuckuss' ability to use the Force to find his quarry and even the fact that he teams up with 4-LOM is never stated in the movie. That's completely EU material. If Disney erases backgrounds like that, I believe it will have a profound affect on this game.

For example, if Disney decides that Trandoshans don't hunt Wookiees, Trandoshan Terror and it's associated cards suddenly don't make sense.

I'm not saying they will get rid of all that stuff, but if they cut off ALL EU, it would drastically change Star Wars as we know it. I'm hoping that, similar to what MarthWMaster thinks about Mara Jade, most of the species concepts and stereotypes remain. Otherwise it's like entering a whole new galaxy.

I suppose the answer to things like this would be to keep the essential plot points but do away with the stories wherein they occurred, so that you can have Trandoshans hating Wookiees and hunting them etc etc, but do away with, was it a Kathy Tyers short story that made this so? Same for Zuckuss and 4-LOM, have them as a team but do away with that actual story too. So all the new material that will be coming out can use that stuff to create new stories around it. So instead of seeing Zuckuss and 4-LOM join the rebellion, instead we can see them infiltrating Imperial Center to some end. Or maybe Zuckuss built 4-LOM? 

I do look forward to seeing what the story group come up with as regards to what stays and what goes. I get the feeling that we might be surprised by how much is kept, but still. 

At the same time in cleaning up the EU they do not have to say anything about Trandoshans or Wookies especially if they won't really be featured in the coming movies. There are plenty of things that simply don't need to be addressed, such as species. What they do need to address is the myriad of convoluted plots from dozens of crap novels that have been churned out over decades.

Also it doesn't really matter what Disney does, Chewbacca's card is printed and he is going to keep making sure that the Wookies win.

There is some complete crap in the EU and also some major inconsistencies. Even in the vaunted Thrawn trilogy.

If you are talking about inconsistencies, those crept in after the book was published. There was little in the EU when it was written, so it didn't have much to be inconsistent with. I personally think the Clone Wars that it hinted at (based on the accepted timeline at the time, published by the WEG Star Wars RPG) is actually better than the one that was presented.

If you think it is crap... I disagree. Now, it had its flaws (I don't like the ending, and frankly the sections with Leia and the Noghri are tiresome), and I will admit there is a bit of rose tinted glasses going on based on when I read it, but it is quite good book for feeling Star Warsy, as it was presented in the original trilogy. Also, it didn't have the Super Weapon of the Week problem (goddam Sunchrusher). This was a trilogy where a single mad Dark Jedi and the sudden introduction of 200 outdated warships could tip the balance in the war. It felt like a universe where something like the Death Star mattered. This was a universe where a Star Destroyer was a thing to be feared.

I never said the Thrawn trilogy was crap. 

I said there is some complete crap in the EU, not the Thrawn trilogy. If I thought it was crap I probably wouldn't have read it twice. 

The EU needs to be cleaned up to prevent any further inconsistencies. This has been necessary for a while and even more so now that new movies are on the way. 

Edited by Toqtamish

Is having a consistent canon really that important? For me SW are a form of modern fairy tales. Right now there are hundreds of different stories set in that universe and I like to look at them as a sort of legends. They all share the same themes, similar style and often the same characters but legends do not have to be 100% accurate and surely do not have to form a single, coherent narrative. The stories are important, not the details. Many characters are just archetypes, nothing more - you can easly switch DARTH XX with DARTH YY and it doesn't really change the tale. Trying to put all these legends into a single canon just spawns hundreds of similar sith, jedi, smugglers, emperors, etc. In time it will just get more and more messy, like Marvel od DC universes. 

MarthWMaster likes this