Sign in to follow this  
Jock

Han Solo & Luke Skywalker Question

Apologies if I'm just missing the obvious though only managed one game of X-Wing so far so may just be unfamiliarity confusing me and haven't used the bigger ships yet.

So you have han solo and you attack but say only get 1 hit so using his unique trait means that you have to re-roll every dice including the hit. Correct?

I don't quite get Luke though. Firstly it mentions if I attack and miss, so that means miss with every dice? And bearing in mind Hans trait, that's means I have to miss completely throwing the dice two times?

So if I do miss two times I immediately make a primary weapon attack, but haven't I just done that twice? Meaning I've now attacked 3 times? I understood you can only reroll a dice once.

Gets even more confusing if I also include a gunner in the crew.

Thanks for your time.

First Question: You are correct. When using Han's ability, you must re-roll every die that hasn't been re-rolled already.

Second Question: A miss is any attack that doesn't damage the target, so you could attack, roll two hits, but the target rolls two evades and your attack misses. It doesn't mean you have to roll blanks to "miss". With Luke on the Falcon, you are correct. You roll the attack, decide you don't like the results so you use Han's ability to re-roll. Its the same attack, you're just re-rolling the dice. (Note that this means you cannot then use a Target Lock to re-roll any of the dice as dice can only be re-rolled once). The defender rolls his evade dice and evades your attack. Now Luke kicks in and you get to make a primary weapon attack. You roll, decide you don't like the results and use Han's ability (again) to reroll. The Luke and Han combo can be pretty powerful.

Adding a gunner wouldn't gain you anything because both the Luke card and Gunner say "you cannot perform another attack this turn" so you only get one bonus attack, and only if you miss your first one.

Hope that helps.

Second Question: A miss is any attack that doesn't damage the target

That's not actually completely correct.

A Hit is when you have any uncanceled {hit} or {crit} results. There are times in which you can have a Hit, but deal no damage due to things like Chewie, Draw their Fire, or Determination.

So a Miss is any attack in which you have all your {hit] or {crit} results canceled.

Now as a rule of thumb hit = damage isn't bad. But it's also not completely true, so it's best to be exact about what is a hit or miss is per the rules. New cards and rules made also make that rule of thumb less useful down the road.

Vanor raises a good point.  One example of this is if you have a ship with a stealth device, who has a wingman with Draw Their Fire.  Stealth ship gets attacked, and the attacker rolls 2 hits and a crit.  Stealth ship rolls defense, gets 2 evades, leaving a single crit to get through.  Stealth ship has been hit by a critical damage result.

Now his wingman can use DTF and actually take the damage from the crit, leaving stealth ship undamaged, BUT, stealth ship was still "hit" and loses his stealth device even though he suffered no damage from the attack.

Second Question: A miss is any attack that doesn't damage the target, so you could attack, roll two hits, but the target rolls two evades and your attack misses. It doesn't mean you have to roll blanks to "miss". With Luke on the Falcon, you are correct. You roll the attack, decide you don't like the results so you use Han's ability to re-roll. Its the same attack, you're just re-rolling the dice. (Note that this means you cannot then use a Target Lock to re-roll any of the dice as dice can only be re-rolled once). The defender rolls his evade dice and evades your attack. Now Luke kicks in and you get to make a primary weapon attack. You roll, decide you don't like the results and use Han's ability (again) to reroll. The Luke and Han combo can be pretty powerful.

Are you serious?  I have been assuming that Luke's shots had to be fired before the target rolls their defense.  The point value for these two is enormous, but this is pretty powerful.  I've been playing it as basically four re-rolls for Han if I didn't like the results.  But if the target evaded, I left it alone.  By this explaination Han could be used to strip evades and focus then Luke could do his thing. 

That's exactly what a lot of people use it for.

Wow, thanks for the info.  I like to use that combo, so you just made my day.  A lot of times I accepted the defense dice evades without rerolling Luke.  I figured that once I took my turn, that was it.  I didn't consider that I could react to what the guy playing against me did during the defense roll. 

I didn't consider that I could react to what the guy playing against me did during the defense roll.

I just want to make sure everything is clear.

What I'm saying is that you can attack with Han, modify dice, ect... then the other guy rolls his defense dice. At that point he may use focus or evades to avoid damage, assuming that he does so and you don't hit, you can the fire with Luke. At that point the target may not have any tokens left to spend on that second attack.

But you can't modify your dice once the other guy rolls his defense dice. Here's the steps.

Roll Attack Dice

Modify attack dice. If the Defender has any ability that lets him modify the attack dice he does so then the Attacker modifies dice.

Roll Defense Dice

Modify defense dice, if the attacker has any ability that lets him modify the defense dice he does so then the defender modifies dice.

But once the defender rolls his dice, you can no longer modify your attack dice. The defender is supposed to give you time to modify your dice, so it's not like he can just roll and prevent you from modifying your dice.

So you can't use Han to reroll dice and then use Luke's ability after the defender has rolled his dice. But the attack from Luke/Gunner is a completely separate attack. As such you both roll a new set of dice and can modify them in what ever way you're allowed.

I didn't consider that I could react to what the guy playing against me did during the defense roll.

I just want to make sure everything is clear.

What I'm saying is that you can attack with Han, modify dice, ect... then the other guy rolls his defense dice. At that point he may use focus or evades to avoid damage, assuming that he does so and you don't hit, you can the fire with Luke. At that point the target may not have any tokens left to spend on that second attack.

OK, that makes sense.  That is a good explaination and sounds much better. 

Wait!!! According to Gullwind I can use Han's ability to reroll Luke's (as gunner) attacks.  How's so?  I thought Han's ability only allows me to reroll Han's attacks but anybody else's.

Can you explain it please?

Because you are reading fluff as mechanics. Yes, the flavorful explanation for a gunner is a different guy sitting in a quad battery well shooting, but mechanically there is just the SHIP making attacks. The pilot ability, Han in this case, allows the ship to re-roll the dice whenever the ship makes an attack. The gunner upgrade allows the ship to make a second attack if the first misses. So when you use the gunner(or Luke) ability, us the ship attacking? If it is then you can use the ship's pilot ability.

I direct you to the rulebook where, somewhere, it specifies that whenever a card uses the word "you" it is referring to that specific ship.

Edited by Forgottenlore

Wait!!! According to Gullwind I can use Han's ability to reroll Luke's (as gunner) attacks.  How's so?  I thought Han's ability only allows me to reroll Han's attacks but anybody else's.

Can you explain it please?

Luke (as a Crew Member) is considered to be part of Han's Ship. He's an Upgrade, not a different pilot.