Sign in to follow this  
KCDodger

Can we level about canon for a second?

Look, you're all pretty cool dudes, but I want to get this off my chest. The canon fighting kinda' bugs me, especially considering recent announcements.

Not all of us love EU, the prequels, some don't even like the OT believe it or not.

That's fine though, we all still love star wars right? Can we not just like, agree on that? Likewise, can we agree that, hey, maybe there's something to be said for EU ships and designs and so on? That maybe they aren't wharghlbargl? The thing about the expanded universe is, it's where a bunch of people who were star wars fans got the chance to write stuff about it officially and toss their ideas out there.

Like the HWK, YT-2400, XG-1 Star Wing, TIE Avenger, E-wing... There's a lot of well known, really cool ones out there that look like they belong in the OT. Instead of turning our nose up at things of then dubious canon or even just EU, maybe we can just...

Remember that it's still Star Wars, and that maybe there's something to it all?

It's a good point to make, Captain. What some people don't realize is that anything that gets made with the Star Wars license is considered to be "approved" by George Lucas and is considered official canon (as opposed to something like, say, Star Trek, which only counts its own shows and movies as such).

As such, I'd have to admit that I have never really gotten much into the comics or books. Anything I know of not from a movie is either stuff i picked up in snippets, or is stuff from the games I played and loved as a child (i.e. TIE Fighter and the Rebel Strike games) so I'd love to see some of those ships make it into the game, things like the Phantom or the Defender… 

I am just getting into reading some of the Star Wars books out there.....and I'm OLD! When I was growing up A New Hope is all we had. We grabbed anything we could, comic books, Mad Magazine, anything with Star Wars on the cover. I seen ANH 7 times at the theater, because that was the only way to see it.

we all have so many ways to enjoy SW that the fighting is getting childish.

BTW if you are thinking about reading Star Wars books I would start with the Han Solo Trilogy.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_Han_Solo_Trilogy

Edited by Duke of Advil

I never really did either. Like Falsehood, I'm a Dark Forces guy. But there's other stuff I enjoyed like the x-wing series too (Which he also did, lol!)

EU's got a lot to offer.

Yeah but I think the reason i never got into it is the same reason I didn't get into stuff like regular hero comics and the like: if you know some of it, then other people seem to come down on you and condemn you for not keeping up with ALL of it.

I tend to have a bit of a negative reaction to a lot of  EU, but i do try, not always successfully, to judge things by their merit. For example i like the E Wing and TIE Avenger. But the Preybird or Hapan Battle Dragon, which is just a redetailed preproduction sketch of a Cylon base Star,  i am decidedly not fond of.

But if i am honest, when it comes down to it, a fair amount of the EU stuff has a lot more of the original Star Wars feel than the prequels did.

And i agree Duke, The Han Solo trilogy is where to start.Especially since it is where everyone favourite 'love it or hate it' fighter the Z-95 first showed up *L*

Edited by Gosric

I've always been puzzled why anyone would be vehemently against the EU.

Not that everything in the EU is always amazing, but it's where 99% of the complex world-building that gives the Star Wars universe its real scope and depth comes from.  On their own, the movies are a mere glimpse into it.  Heck, many of the specifics of starfighter combat that X-wing is based upon came from EU sources like the old PC space sims

You know...it is cool to have a few like-minded brothers online to chat up the fun stuff.

With that said it ultimately comes down to what you do with your time and money.

^_^

I have been actually annoyed in the last few months...maybe three times, by some  whole ass on here.

:rolleyes:

It lasted for like a minute.

:lol:

Some people want to argue.

F**K "Em.

:P

It is up to you to do what it takes to have fun while you are here.

As for "Cannon" that is some Fuddy Duddy B.S. Right There...so just ignore it.

:D

Uh OH some rude somebody on a forum don't like what I do!!!

:o

...And?

;):P:lol:

I've always loved the original trilogy. It was my favorite, till all the "special" stuff was added (anyone else frustrated by the CGI in the Mos Eisley Cantina?).

Then again, I also love a bunch of the books. 

But for me, what matters is if it FEELS Star Warsy.  :huh:  

Can I imagine ________ ship landing in the Mos Eisley Spaceport?

Does the ________ look out of place next to the X-Wing and Firespray?

If the Rebel base was under attack, and out of nowhere, a ________ flew in and saved the day...?

Only problem with this way of thinking is that it is all a matter of opinion, so I don't feel the need to be super aggressive about it... Only, I don't think it's a problem at all...

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and everyone is allowed to disagree. But when someone can't accept either of those facts (whether because of a response, or their own response) then problems arise. (aka. "The hurt is STRONG with this one.")

^_^

Although, I have to constantly remind myself of timeline relations. 

If R2D2 can function just fine (with plenty of repairs) through every movie, there is no reason a Naboo Starfighter can't exist at the same time as a Z95. 

I am just getting into reading some of the Star Wars books out there.....and I'm OLD! When I was growing up A New Hope is all we had. We grabbed anything we could, comic books, Mad Magazine, anything with Star Wars on the cover. I seen ANH 7 times at the theater, because that was the only way to see it.

BTW if you are thinking about reading Star Wars books I would start with the Han Solo Trilogy.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_Han_Solo_Trilogy

I'd start with the Heir to th Empire books and avoid anything written by Kevin J Anderson like the plague.

Though, honestly, if you play this game, the x-wing books were good fun.

I'm a huge star wars fan (movies and games) but i have read almost none of the books and comics. So when i see the ideas of EU ships it doesn't make me mad, it makes me happy to experience a new ship. Some of you knew of the Moldey Crow long before it was in X-wing, i other hand learned about it the day it was announced.

the only thing that would make me mad that this game is if FF just made up a ship that was never featured in a star wars story arc.  Not sure why that would make me mad, it just would. So Canon or not, i just like seeing more ships, because more ships mean more options and more versatile squads. i long for a day to where i go to worlds and the Tie Swarm isn't 90% of the imperial lists. Where there could be a rebel 6 ship build or an imperial 3 tie fighter build that just rocks everyone's face.

BTW if you are thinking about reading Star Wars books I would start with the Han Solo Trilogy.http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_Han_Solo_Trilogy

I'd start with the Heir to th Empire books and avoid anything written by Kevin J Anderson like the plague.

Though, honestly, if you play this game, the x-wing books were good fun.

thanks for the heads up on Anderson...and I will check out your suggestions.

Wait a second...

I'll be honest I thought this was going to be about Ion Cannons, HLC's and Autobasters at first...

But I agree with the OP, not everyone has to love or even like the EU. But to dismiss everything in it just because it's not part of the OT is a bit simple minded to be frank.

The Z-95 for example looks and feels like the predecessor to the X-Wing, heck it's in some ways little more then a X-Wing without the S foils, so how could anyone honestly say it doesn't fit the SW universe?

But there are people who insist that nothing from EU be added to the game, which is ridiculous on it's face, seeing how even prior to the HWK-290 we already had a ton of EU pilots in the game.

If they come out with a ship that you don't like because it doesn't look SW enough, then don't buy it... But to say they shouldn't make it for no other reason then it's not from Eps 1-3 is not a valid reason.

Edited by VanorDM

Personal pref. aside: OT-starwars will have a higher marketing impact than EU.

Ppl will be recruited to the game if the see some familiar ships from the movies, and eventually start playing.

I this sence, it is no problem with a few EU-ships, as lang as most models are OT.

If, however, most (or to many)  models are EU then a large group op potential players will not feel that it is Star wars and might not be interested.

Look, you're all pretty cool dudes, but I want to get this off my chest. The canon fighting kinda' bugs me, especially considering recent announcements.

Not all of us love EU, the prequels, some don't even like the OT believe it or not.

That's fine though, we all still love star wars right? Can we not just like, agree on that? Likewise, can we agree that, hey, maybe there's something to be said for EU ships and designs and so on? That maybe they aren't wharghlbargl? The thing about the expanded universe is, it's where a bunch of people who were star wars fans got the chance to write stuff about it officially and toss their ideas out there.

Like the HWK, YT-2400, XG-1 Star Wing, TIE Avenger, E-wing... There's a lot of well known, really cool ones out there that look like they belong in the OT. Instead of turning our nose up at things of then dubious canon or even just EU, maybe we can just...

Remember that it's still Star Wars, and that maybe there's something to it all?

I sorta disagree.

I actually like a lot of the EU stuff.  I don't think I have enjoyed a series of PC games more than the X-wing TIE Fighter (where a lot of the EU ship speculation is coming from)

And it's not so much a canon thing.  I mean, you are right, Lucas sort of has an official canon thing going.  What Disney will do with it is up in the air.  But saying something like "a Skipray Blast boat is not canon" is really that accurate.

My sole worry is what adding new EU ships will do to the current situation with the game.  The core of Star Wars fighter combat to me is TIE fighters and X-wings, to verying degrees with a second level of TIE Bombers, TIE Interceptors, A-wings, B-wings and then some other ships like Firesprays, tramp freighters and TIE Advanced thrown in, but never in great numbers.  (As for the freighters, its not about how common they are in the Star Wars universe, but how commonly they show up full on battles between the rebellion and the empire.

I have said this many times before, on different threads, but I love how, with each expansion, FFG has kept to its original core.  People have complained about the TIE Advanced and the TIE Interceptor not being that good.  I don't really care so much about that debate, he except to say that with these other ships the TIE Fighter has stayed not only relevant, but a very good choice for your fleet.

What I don't want, is a few years from now after we have had a lot of more expansion for a common X-wing battle to be between a few Skipray Blastboats and E-Wings Facing off against TIE Defenders and Gunships.  I don't care if the ships exist and show up from time to time, but if they make the ships I grew up with, and love like little else in fiction go away, I would be sad.  It would deminsh the game from what I feel is its core.

Now I want to be clear.  This is strictly my opinion.  I am not saying that you are wrong if you are just counting down the days until you can play E-wings vs Droid TIEs so that you can reenact the battle of Moncal.  Nor am I saying the FFG should do it this way because it is what I want.  I am simply saying that this is my opinion.  The only reason why I post it is because I imagine that I am not alone.